It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cuyahoga Valley Suspends Operations For 2 Months
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:58 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
But the reason is a good one:

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/new ... 843210007/

Alternative source of news:

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... perations/

Post subject: Re: Cuyahoga Valley Suspends Operations For 2 Months
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:09 pm 

Seems like a good thing, and I applaud CVSR for making a dedicated time to begin these improvements. Nothing sucks quite as much as not being able to get a project done because the equipment you're working on HAS to go out in an hour or two. I think many operations could learn from this decision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:39 pm 

Changing operations to meet or exceed 21st century best practices increases safety, productivity and allows for cheaper insurance. I applaud operations reviewing operating rules and making structural changes that benefit everyone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:38 pm 

Neither article says anything about what's driving these urgent changes and upgrades. Lots of speculation on FB. Understanding the facts behind what's involved would be beneficial to others.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:38 pm 

ATK wrote:
Neither article says anything about what's driving these urgent changes and upgrades. Lots of speculation on FB. Understanding the facts behind what's involved would be beneficial to others.

From both articles: "“Earlier this week, we received the much-awaited funding and trustee approval to move forward with these enhancements,” said Joe Mazur, the railroad’s CEO."

I'm confused as to why there would be speculation and/or the need to have "facts behind what's involved" when it's rather spelled out right there.

Among things listed are: "improvements in radio communications, operations management software, and onboard camera systems". Why not take things out of service during the slow period to upgrade/work on things? Why the need for speculation otherwise?

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:59 pm 

I know some people involved at the operating level. Suffice it to say they need some leadership that actually knows something about railroading so they can walk and chew gum at the same time. These are non-profit foundation people who know how to do fundraising for other things. No for-profit freight railroad would shut down a line because some core samples indicated that the roadbed might at some point washout, they'd set up a work area with someone in-charge when the railroad was operating, and talk them by the problem at reduced speed. They also needed to get MoW people who know railroading not just parks. The Park Service ownership of the line is part of it. Don't get me wrong, the railroad would not exist today if it hadn't been for the NPS stepping in over 35 years ago to acquire the line, but they don't have a lot of expertise in railroad operations. The operating non-profit has gotten rid of experienced people because they told them truths that they didn't want to hear, which is why they are short-handed now. Then they buy Grand Canyon's castoffs because their motive power consultant is an ALCo guy.

The Horizon Rail ex-CSX slug set they had a couple of years ago was nearly perfect for them as the Southbound power for the long grade into Akron. Paint the GP40 for Chessie and the GP30 Slug in the B&O "Sunburst" scheme and attract a new generation of fans who think they are the historic finds to have. Engines like those were the last original units to run on the line anyway, and you now have reliable second generation EMD power. Put the ALCo cabs on the downhill Northbound end of the trains where they don't have to work as hard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:46 pm 

I only went once for 765 trips. Called and asked when I preferred tickets if they allowed people to ride in the vestibules and they said yes. If they had said no I was going to buy dome car tickets.

Conductor made his own rule that day to close the vestibules.

After riding the first trip went to chase the next one and park staff were trying to keep people from photographing the train at public areas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:37 pm 

The anti-fan attitude goes back to the early years of Midwest Chapter providing the train. Their leadership was very anti-railfan and it rubbed off on the Western Reserve Historical Society people who ran the operation then. And they in-turn got the park service and the local police to make it next to impossible for the photographers to get anything by the end of the 765 trips. My understanding is that 765 won't be back anytime soon either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:25 am 

Shutting down is not the way to run a railroad. Even when you get an unexpected in rush of cash.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:39 am 

mmi16 wrote:
Shutting down is not the way to run a railroad.
It's the way some large railroads run, although sometimes it's 4 days down and 3 days running each week, for about a month every year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:42 am 

JimBoylan wrote:
mmi16 wrote:
Shutting down is not the way to run a railroad.
It's the way some large railroads run, although sometimes it's 4 days down and 3 days running each week, for about a month every year.

The Bigs operate curfews - their 'highly mechanized gangs' get EXCLUSIVE track use for 12 hours - rail traffic is operated on the OFF 12 hours.

26 years as a Chief Dispatcher on CSX is my knowledge base. Additionally I supervised B&O crews working out of Cleveland on what was known as the CT&V Subdivision and is now the Cuyahoga Valley.

A two month shut down is a drastic undertaking.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:09 pm 

PaulWWoodring wrote:
The anti-fan attitude goes back to the early years of Midwest Chapter providing the train. Their leadership was very anti-railfan and it rubbed off on the Western Reserve Historical Society people who ran the operation then. And they in-turn got the park service and the local police to make it next to impossible for the photographers to get anything by the end of the 765 trips. My understanding is that 765 won't be back anytime soon either.

Why? Serious railfans may be a minority compared to "daisy pickers," but why be hostile to anybody? Isn't their money the same green as everybody else's?

My thought is if you're unfriendly or discourteous to one group, you have a very good chance of just being discourteous to all, if not downright rude.

Hell, if I'm assuming "Midwest Chapter" means something like "Midwest Chapter NRHS," then those guys should be "railfans" themselves. Why are, or were, they in the business of all that hard work of rebuilding and maintaining railroad equipment? Where would they have the heart for it if they were not railfans?

What's the matter with that bunch?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:28 pm 

J3a-614 wrote:
PaulWWoodring wrote:

Why? Serious railfans may be a minority compared to "daisy pickers," but why be hostile to anybody? Isn't their money the same green as everybody else's?

I imagine that was the problem; railfans showed up to take photos and didn't ride, and so weren't spending any money.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:37 pm 

"Daisy pickers" don't take pictures? Families riding the trains don't take pictures?
The NPS really amazes me sometimes.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:50 pm 

Yes, it was the late, unlamented NRHS chapter. The attitude of the leadership was that the "hard-core" photographer fans were cheapskates who just wanted to get photos and not send any money their way, so screw them, even though many did ride occasionally in addition to chasing. They also very deliberately objected to and prevented any other chapters from forming in the region who might possibly compete. Well, they are pretty much all dead, the chapter dissolved, and hopefully remaining groups can be a little more enlightened. The Midwest Railway Preservation Society is a spinoff group that got the equipment formerly owned by the equipment operating arm of the chapter, Midwest Railway Historical Foundation. Midwest Chapter, NRHS never owned any rolling stock directly, although they totally controlled the Foundation and one could not be a member of just the Foundation.