It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help move Conrail 24029 to Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:36 pm 

My friend Adam Lloyd is a volunteer at the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum, and he has worked with us for many years on various projects. Everything from mowing the lawn to restoring signal hardware, to helping with a multitude of tasks around the museum. He is now the proud owner of Conrail 24029, an N-10 class caboose built by Penn Central in their Altoona Shop in 1969. Adam is working to raise money to transport the car from Hamburg to Rochester, where the car will be stored at RGVRRM. I'll let Adam explain...

Attachment:
File comment: Conrail 24029
CR24029.jpg
CR24029.jpg [ 72.57 KiB | Viewed 4404 times ]

Quote:
Help bring home Conrail 24029!
My name is Adam Lloyd, and I am an active volunteer at the Rochester & Genesee Valley Railroad Museum. I have had a life-long interest in railroads, and I collect and restore old railroad signals and vintage hardware. One of my favorite railroads is Conrail, as Big Blue’s Chicago Line main line once served my hometown of Rochester, N.Y. I am very interested in preserving the history of Conrail, but I wanted to do it in a big way…

Conrail 24029 History
Recently I was offered the chance to purchase Conrail 24029, an N-10 class caboose built in 1969 by Penn Central at Altoona as part of a fleet of 50 cabooses for use on unit coal trains. No. 20249 was one of hundreds of cabooses inherited by Conrail in 1976. It saw regular service throughout the system and in western New York until it was retired in the mid-1990s and sold to a private owner near Hamburg, N.Y.

To a New Home
Over the past year, I have successfully raised enough money to purchase Conrail 24029 from the private owner. Once I had the purchase agreement in hand, the R&GV Railroad Museum agreed to allow me to store and display the caboose on their property just south of Rochester. Once 24029 has been delivered, I will be restoring the caboose to its Conrail appearance. In exchange for allowing me to store the car on their property, I have agreed to allow R&GV to use the caboose to transport visitors on their demonstration railroad.

Keep it Moving With Conrail
I have raised the money needed to purchase the car. Right now I am trying to raise $5,000 to transport the caboose from Hamburg to Rochester. Winters Rigging has agreed to make the move for me this summer. Your donation in any amount will help pay for the cost of transportation. Once the caboose has been successfully moved, and I have had the chance to clean it out and make it presentable, Conrail 24029 will be placed on public display at R&GV. I’ll post regular updates as I make progress restoring the caboose and making it ready for operation on the museum railroad. Thanks for helping preserve an important part of Northeastern railroad history!

Please consider a donation in any amount: https://www.gofundme.com/Conrail24029

Thank you,

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

Post subject: Re: Help move Conrail 24029 to Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:25 pm 

Just an update, the fundraiser has reached $746.00 in donations, a modest start. Please help spread the word and consider a donation to help this young man purchase his first car... a '69 Altoona! :-)

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.

Post subject: Re: Help move Conrail 24029 to Rochester, N.Y.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:58 pm 

Just an update, this car was safely moved on July 27, 2016, by Winters Rigging.

Attachment:
File comment: CR 24029 moved to RGVRRM at Industry, NY, July 27, 2016
cr24029-move-industry-700.jpg
cr24029-move-industry-700.jpg [ 96.83 KiB | Viewed 3463 times ]

Adam is still raising money to offset the cost of the move.

https://www.gofundme.com/Conrail24029

-otto-

Rochester, N.Y.