It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chinese Steam in the U.S.A.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 pm 

Has anybody heard any rumors or speculations about bringing another Chinese locomotive to the US?

I heard a while back that the Valley railroad was considering purchasing another SY class 2-8-2.

On top of that, does anybody have info as to the condition of the two Iowa Interstate QJ 2-10-2 locomotives that were donated to the Central States Steam Preservation Association?

Post subject: Re: Chinese Steam in the U.S.A.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:22 am 

Greetings:
Valley Railroad did put a deposit on Dalian Heavy Machinery's SY 1385, but the project fell apart for a variety of reasons and was abandoned by VRR (we did get 1/2 the deposit back).
To the best of my knowledge, both QJ 6988 and QJ 7081 are due for 5 year (flexible stay bolts, caps and sleeves) inspections. Both locomotives were placed in service in May(?) 2006, so they won't be due for 1472/15 year inspections until 2021. Both had "Factory" overhauls prior to being shipped to the USA, so ought to be in good condition save normal wear. In my opinion, it is doubtful that either of these will run again soon.
The R.J.Corman QJ 7024(?) has less than 1000 miles on it after overhaul, but hasn't run in some time (and isn't likely to).
J.David
PS: I fired 6988 on one of the "lets' see how many tons we can haul across Iowa" trips. The stoker wasn't working so we hand fired it. I was never so tired in my life at the end of the day! JDC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:49 am 

Hmm well if the RJ Corman steamer isn't going to run again because the company is not interested in running it again. I wonder if Jerry Jacobson would be interested in owning QJ for his collection since it's practically brand new. It's just a thought. For the Iowa Interstate QJs I don't know what's going to happen them after 2021 when they're due for overhaul.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:10 am 

The RJCC QJ was formerly #7040