It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Texas State RR shuts down
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:22 pm 

The word from East Texas is that the Texas State Railroad has shut down and terminated most of its employees.

http://cowcatchermagazine.com/texas-sta ... perations/

Same article in the Tyler, Tx paper today as well

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local ... r-how-long

Post subject: Re: Texas State RR shuts down
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:11 pm 

Ed Ellis has posted on Trainorders that the report is false and it is just the normal seasonal shutdown.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:25 pm 

Wouldn't you think that Ellis would issue an actual press release to correct the record if the news were in fact false rather than give an obscure posting on T.O?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:29 pm 

Loggerhogger wrote:
Wouldn't you think that Ellis would issue an actual press release to correct the record if the news were in fact false rather than give an obscure posting on T.O?

From TO:

" Just a seasonal shutdown, same as last year. But we laid off the PR person and so then she put out bad information...."

Personal comment, I doubt she'll be giving Ed as a reference when she looks for her next job.... not a very smart move !!!!!

Bob H

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:05 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
I will note, for the record, that the original Tyler Morning Telegraph page on this story DID NOT cite Mr. Ellis, and that the quotation from Ellis was added in after original publication--seemingly within the last hour, as I type this at 2 PM EST, 1 PM CST.

I have to love the instant "armchair quarterbacking" from the TrainOrders crowd--the same crowd apparently eager to predict UP will somehow manage to blow up 844 and render Big Boy 4014 beyond repair in short order.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 10,4190988

Last edited by Alexander D. Mitchell IV on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:28 pm 

Reminds me of a local golf/country club that shuts down during the winter, the local unemployment office whined about paying off the -out of job- employees, the club told them... 'I pay YOU, YOU pay Them".

done

8-D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:42 pm 

It's not just the Texas State, apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:49 pm 

Sounds like one Employee was mad about being laid off and decided to exaggerate the facts.

Amazingly its popping up in my Facebook Trending Tab.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:10 pm 

This is now the report in the Tyler paper, quoting Ed Ellis

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local ... g-in-march

The Same from the Lufkin paper

http://lufkindailynews.com/news/communi ... 78819.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:53 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
I have to love the instant "armchair quarterbacking" from the TrainOrders crowd--the same crowd apparently eager to predict UP will somehow manage to blow up 844 and render Big Boy 4018 beyond repair in short order.

Man, you hit that spike on the head. I joined TO on a trial basis because I wanted to download some photos there that I'd never found anywhere else. Very quickly, I got to thinking, "why does anyone keep paying for this drivel?" There's nothing there you won't find here and a few other forums.
As for the UP thing, I got sick to death of reading about how Ed and his people were guilty of everything shy of the Lindberg Baby kidnapping and how it'll be a miracle UP won't be owned by a Mexican railroad eventually.
"844 will never, EVER run," they all cried.
Then 844 ran. Boy, that shut a bunch of them up!
Now, most train buffs accept that which was greeted with overall skepticism before; that there's no reason to think 4014 won't actually run eventually.
But the nay-sayers? Good God, the same people were on every forum out there, typing slurs about them as fast as they could. It would have been hilarious (like reading a Mad magazine) if it weren't so pathetic. these people did - and still do- want the UP steam team to fail horribly, just to prove themselves right!
Frankly, I couldn't care less if the Prince of Darkness himself was sitting in the boss's desk in Cheyenne in charge of the steam program, I just want to see stuff rolling out of there under steam.
It's happening again after an obvious lapse of no steam for a long time.
But you have to wonder, when will these nay-sayers finally shut the **** up about it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:25 pm 

elueck wrote:

Picturing some good ole boy from Texas with a herd of longhorns subscribing to "Cowcatcher Magazine" and being sorely disappointed with his first issue...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:30 pm 

Well, there is a little evidence of truth of change in plans and disruption. They advertised train(s) in February, and now they are canceled.

Most places maintain employees in the off season for shop work, maintenance, and preparation for the next season. It is unclear here how many are still employed. I think most will agree that it is not so simple as just saying, "Oh, we have no trains running, we just lock the doors and go home."

Maybe a cash flow problem?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:35 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
I think most will agree that it is not so simple as just saying, "Oh, we have no trains running, we just lock the doors and go home."

No, it's exactly that simple in this day and age.
No revenue? Send people home. We'll figure it out later.
Too much work and it's never going to end? Just make overtime a permanent part of the job (look what it's done to the Japanese work force, people routinely die at the job or kill themselves from overwork).
That's how things are done in the US workforce these days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:35 pm 

No, that is not what I meant.

When the trains stop running, the work does not stop. If one thinks it does, incorrectly, then one might be surprised to find the trains are not ready to run when the warm weather returns.

Here in Denmark, we ran our last excursions two weeks ago, but the real work is just beginning. In next four months we need to replace something like 150 staybolts, remove and weld some complex steam heat plumbing, re roll or replace two superheater flues, and overhaul the tender brake rigging, and who knows what else we find.

I imagine there is work to be done on the coaches, and track work as well (but we don't have track work because we don't own the tracks).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:47 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the general consensus that I'm getting is that the railroad has laid off some employees. They have a small staff (8 according to the link below) to maintain the railroad during the winter. They will resume operations in March instead of February with possibly a reduced schedule. How all this effects the operation remains to be seen. I get the feeling that there is some corporate belt tightening taking place.

http://www.palestineherald.com/news/upd ... 0d44e.html