It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum Closing?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:57 am 

The OC&FR Facebook site states that the museum will be closing Sept. 4th 2016 due to a lack of volunteers, attendance and revenue.
I wonder what will become of its collection?

Post subject: Re: Old Colony & Fall River Railroad Museum Closing?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:50 am 

Quote:
We had a open house( FREE) no one showed up and yes we did a press release.

From their Facebook page....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 pm 

In response to the museum closing, I wouldn't close just yet... We the people have other priorities, I say give them , us time we'll come around. In the mean time keep advertising via all sources of the media, there are many who are looking for something to do on the weekends one never knows .. someone just might want to Volunteer at the Museum or become a Member !

To take a page from a field of dreams ... If you stay open and advertise they will come!

Mr. Starr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:31 pm 

According to your Facebook page, it appears as a majority of people are only finding out about this open house event now. Is it possible that someone mislead or didn't get the word out properly through all your sources? Maybe instead of closing you could possibly invest in moving the museum to a more populated, better recognized location. The idea of having the museum where it is now just looks depressing honestly. Located in an industrial shipyard near various highway overpasses I can very imagine it looks significantly unattractive to tourists especially those who are from the area. Also possibly having some operating equipment like the RDC-1 might prove to be a great money maker if an agreement can be worked out with the track owner. In this compromising world we're living in the burdens of only having static displays are strengthening and visitors are wanting a more "dynamic" setup if you get what I mean,

Cameron

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:02 pm 

Cameron, reading their update, it appears that they have very little funding and very few active volunteers.

You're suggesting that they relocate the museum, restore equipment and start an operating railroad. Given that they can't even find people to open the place for a few hours on the weekends now, exactly how would you suggest the get the funding and manpower to do what you propose?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:08 pm 

Sounds like advertisement distribution was a big problem, was it limited to posters, signs and newspapers? The museum I am involved with is maybe 45 minutes away (with traffic) from them. I am surprised they didn't send us something to post, as we maintain a board of upcoming RR events in the area as do other museums, that I know of.

As far as a site, having no running track is a problem (especially nowadays), but they are in a semi-prime location, across the river from a large city, right off a prime highway exit (US95) and next to a large Military museum (Battleship Cove). Their biggest problem IMHO, is that they are trapped between 2 big tax states (Rhode Island and Massachusetts [and Connecticut not that far away]), so people have limited spending money. Add to that these last few weeks have been murder to New Englanders (High Heat & Humidity), so most people were hiding in the AC, practicing their Seal & Sea Lion impersonations at the beach, or getting ready for school in a few weeks. August is always hard and slow around here.

Rich C
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:46 pm 

Slight topic drift...

Quote:
Add to that these last few weeks have been murder to New Englanders (High Heat & Humidity), so most people were hiding in the AC

In the DC market the weather personalities seem to over promote the Heat Index to the point of hysteria or panic, and discourage any extracurricular activities. So people stay home. Fortunately the Heat Index does not require panic buying of bread, milk, and toilet paper.

Wesley

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:58 pm 

wesp wrote:
Slight topic drift...

Quote:
Fortunately the Heat Index does not require panic buying of bread, milk, and toilet paper.

Wesley

Yet... (I hear there is going to be a shortage of Eskimo Pies. Quick, run to the store!)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:18 pm 

I think their problem is they don't offer things that would make people want to go there. You start with local word of mouth, which builds some interest and support, and work outwards from there. Pretend you aren't a foamer - why would you go to the trouble of finding your way to their place?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:48 pm 

In this thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39666 I noted that they are only open from 12-3 on Saturday and Sunday, and their website is broken. In many ways they look like a gift shop open only six hours a week using just a very few exhibits to attract customers.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:13 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
I'm sorry to hear of this situation, but I have to ask: How many of us were even aware that this museum existed? I know I've driven through Fall River numerous times over the years, but it had somehow never registered in my mind that there was a railroad museum there.

With the Fall River Line steamboats connecting with the Old Colony RR/NYNH&H there is a lot of fascinating railroad and navigation history in Fall River, and that makes it doubly sad. They had a real story to tell.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:21 pm 

A major interchange reconstruction project on I-195 right in downtown Fall River probably has not helped the situation for this museum or the neighboring Battleship USS MASSACHUSETTS. Visitors at the Battleship are reportedly down about 80% from what they were a few years ago.

PC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:30 pm 

A quick Google image search reveals a green coach (P-70?), an RDC painted NH, along with a boxcar (painted NH) and a bay window caboose (painted NYC). Is that the extent of the collection?

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:40 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
wesp wrote:
In the DC market the weather personalities seem to over promote the Heat Index to the point of hysteria or panic, and discourage any extracurricular activities. So people stay home. Fortunately the Heat Index does not require panic buying of bread, milk, and toilet paper.

I can second this effect with first-hand observations of a few places elsewhere in Maryland the past couple weekends.

Just like some rail museums and excursion lines in the northern parts of North America go into hibernation for the winter after Christmas/Polar Express/Snow trains in early December, I've seen numerous attractions in the Southwest shut down for the heat of summer, and with good reason. (Though I did an on-foot/Light Rail "pub crawl" of widely-scattered Phoenix bars in 110-to-115-degree heat a couple years ago, and was more comfortable then that I am in these alledged "105-110 degree heat index" around here of late.)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:49 pm 

What is at this museum that makes it worth attending? Its two passenger cars, a caboose and a boxcar. There is no real attraction here. Nothing that would get me to exit the interstate to go visit.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2016-08-16 18.39.24.png
Screenshot 2016-08-16 18.39.24.png [ 345 KiB | Viewed 12094 times ]