It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tractor/Train Collision on UK's Miniature Romney Line
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:55 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Much as I hate to give the Daily Mail traffic, they have the best photos:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... afety.html

See also

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09 ... s-after-c/

When I saw the photo below, I thought "they've been pranked--that's not a real railroad but a model....." Then I figured out the RH&DLR.

Post subject: Re: Tractor/Train Collision on UK's Miniature Romney Line
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:55 pm 

Is that #1, Green Goddess? Such a shame to see this. Most of their steam is approaching the 90 or 100 year mark.

Rob

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:28 pm 

Wow I'm sorry to hear that happened. 1st accident for the green goddess ever, as I've looked at from the wiki. There is a list of accidents on the railway from the wiki page, and almost all of them have come from crossing accidents (this is the 13th one in the 89 year history of the railroad). They really need to do something about these crossing accidents.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:41 pm 

'they really need to do something about crossing accidents' what does that mean......two train drivers have been killed and its always down to moron motorists who even ignore barrier crossings.....this one was a farmer on an ungated crossing who didnt call the railway to find out if it was clear to cross as per the regulations.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 pm 

Agreed. Thirteen grade crossing accidents in eighty-nine years is a far better record than any of Network Rail's lines can claim (much less any U.S. railroads), and it's a safe bet that all of the other accidents were caused by idiots like this one. The only effective solution to a problem like this is to install locked gates at such crossings and leave the keys in possession of the railway (which would have forced the farmer to contact the railway in the first place), but that's likely to raise a ruckus that the railway management doesn't need nor is it a solution that is used at all (to my knowledge, at least). Stupid vehicle operators are always going to be a problem, especially when alternatives to level crossings aren't always possible or practical; there are often no good solutions available under those circumstances and all the railway operators can do is post warnings and hope the public heeds those warnings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:07 pm 

Here is a somewhat better bit of reporting from a local paper, without clickbait. https://www.thelooker.co.uk/engine-driver-dubbed-a-hero-after-railway-crash/#.V9RTCEPDghU.facebook

Pat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:04 pm 

Is there a risk of explosion when engines tip over? I think not. The reason I say is because the fire gets all messed up, and lands on a surface that does not provide air and draft. I don't think the fire can really burn very well after this. And then if there is still draft it is pulling cold air through the firebox through the now fully exposed grates.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:42 pm 

someone grab some wood, bang some X's in it, mark it "Stop Look and Listen" on it.