It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W Caboose in Bowie, MD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:34 pm 

The 1922 wooden N&W caboose on display at the Huntington Railroad Museum in Bowie, MD, is not long for this world. As with most things made of wood and left outside for an extended period, it's rotting away. Its steel components aren't doing too well, either. While previously on display at a local park by a lake, it suffered a couple of fires, too. Bowie plans to replace it in the fall with an ex-B&O caboose from the B&O Railroad Museum.

Post subject: Re: N&W Caboose in Bowie, MD
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:36 pm 

It's Always a shame to hear that another piece of equipment has taken the west bound and doesn't look like it's coming back, though with the possible passing of one piece of equipment might breathe life into others in need of critical components for their restoration. Would you have a point of contact at the Bowie MD location to discuss the plans for the Ill-fated N&W Caboose. Those of us in South Western Virginia could use the parts for a couple of N&W wood caboose projects here locally.
Thank you ahead of time for any guidance you or anyone can provide.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:34 pm 

Answered by PM.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:25 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Photo by Robert Bufkin of it years ago, before being moved and being repainted faux-PRR, on PRR Facebook group.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:30 pm 

Photo above is it in the current position, but it is several years ago judging from the condition.

If you live in the region and would like to express concern over putting a B&O caboose at this location, feet away from the NEC, (where B&O never ran), please consider contacting city council members:

http://www.cityofbowie.org/Directory.aspx?DID=4

The new caboose is both a freebie and B&O museum is offering to paint it. The city is moving it and paying to have the interior restored.

City staff has proposed this approach as a cost savings measure instead of locating and purchasing and restoring (if needed) a proper PRR cabin, sometimes claiming that PRR cabins are rare and expensive when found.

Bowie has a wonderful set of museums, including Belair mansion, a pre-revolutionary war mansion house that has been painstakingly restored with period furniture, accessories, bedspreads, curtains, etc. That staff would is willing to compromise at the RR museum is disappointing at best.

Any email to council members should be thoughtful and make the case for quality. Mention of visiting Bowie and benefits to the local area (a couple of small business restaurants and antique stores) which is generally depressed might be helpful.

Bob Bunge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:02 pm 

From Pam Williams, City of Bowie Museums:

Quote:
Please advise these concerned folks that there is no campaign to Bowie
City Council necessary. They are well aware of the condition of this
caboose and the need for a different one. The City Council is addressing this under
the aegis of a municipal budget system. And they are VERY supportive.

Plans are underway for a different caboose. This one is just gone. The
patchup is continual. A new caboose is in the works - it maybe be a few
feet north of this one because of a hiking trail. We are not suffering
this thing to collapse. It's doing it all by itself. The City of Bowie
takes its railroad history - indeed it's entire history - very
seriously. We absolutely recognize that Bowie was literally born on the
railroad. Please be patient. As with all things government, there are
funding times...and until advised otherwise, the Capital Project to
replace the caboose will kick in for the new Fiscal Year on 7-1-14.

We REALLY don’t interpret the history of the PRR. While it is part of our history – our story is the history of a 19th-early 20th c. railroad “village.” Not the PRR itself.

Last edited by wesp on Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 pm 

As they are determined to remove and replace the old caboose, I would think there's a great deal of steel and iron to be salvaged.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:59 pm 

It has been awhile since I've seen the N&W caboose up close, the last time I did, one side was gone, as was part of the floor. Little of the wood was original, and much of the shell was housing grade material used after the fire when it was at Allen Pond. Before the hole formed in the floor, the inside was one large area with only the bottom half of the stove left.

The cost of restoring the wood caboose when there is no cover is far beyond the cost of a replacement. I hope that others can access the iron and steel.

While Pam seems to be a nice person, I find failing in the approach that the museum is a history of a railroad village to be lacking given how Bowie is nothing less than a PRR/B&P town.

And while Pam is a bureaucrat who has to work within the confines of a budgetary system of requests and process, and apparently feels the cost of a PRR cabin is beyond her budget, it is the Council who has the final say on the budget and approval for these projects.

Does there need to be a campaign to put a proper PRR cabin on that site rather than a easy to get freebie from down the road? Yes. Thank you to anyone who can help. But be nice and intelligent.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:50 pm 

Bob,

I was on a similar project when the city of Gaithersburg rehabbed the collection on display in that location.

The staff and elected officials did the best they could with funds and within the limited resources of the staff. In Gaithersburg we had to pass up several "opportunities" more relevant to Gaithersburg than what we ended up with because of the budget. I sense this is the case in Bowie.

I think we should encourage the city leaders to work to salvage parts of the N&W caboose for Tim's project and move along.

Wesley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:39 pm 

I looked at the caboose on Monday and didn't see much that could be of use elsewhere. Keep in mind that it was built in 1922, it has been retired for over 40 years and sitting outside so it's not in the best shape, to say the least. A couple of fires didn't help, either. Perhaps another group might find some parts on its underside that would be of use (assuming they're still functional) but I don't really need anything off of this car.

Yes, it's regrettable that the city is planning to put a B&O caboose at the museum instead of a PRR cabin car, but they're paying the bills (well into five figures for this project) and they have to work within budget and with whatever cabooses are available. Anyone who wants the city to put a PRR car there should find one for them at a reasonable price and let the city know. Don't just send emails to complain about a B&O caboose where a PRR car should stand -- take action by finding the PRR cabin car you think they should acquire instead. After all, those of us involved in rail car restoration and repair should have a better idea of what's available and where to look than others, so put that knowledge to use and do more than just send emails disapproving of a B&O caboose. I'm sure the city would much rather receive viable alternative options and not just complaints and being told to look elsewhere for a caboose when they already have one in mind. (Think about the last time someone suggested you do more work while not contributing to the effort himself and how well that went over with you.)

To give an idea of how much this is going to cost, here's an excerpt from an email from Pam in Bowie: "Quite honestly, the City is going to spend a tremendous amount of money on this project out of city funds - there are no grant funds available - and I suspect (but don't know) that they will be looking to recoup some costs - even if only a little bit. Just restoration of the new car is about $70,000, and then the cost of transportation and placement on a new railbed (likely another $40K) on top of that."

Whew! I'm glad I'M not paying for it!

If you can offer Bowie a better deal with a PRR cabin car, I'm sure they'd like to hear about it.

Last edited by Tim Moriarty on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:03 am 

As mentioned above I requested any info for making a contact that could lead to the salvaging of material for other N&W wood Caboose restorations underway in south western Virginia. I can see in just the images alone many parts that would be useful. It was mentioned above that info was provided via PM, I never did get a PM and also tried to contact Tim in original listing via PM but no reply, please try again Tim or someone else step forward if a contact is known.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 am 

Steve:

Here's the point of contact in Bowie:

http://www.cityofbowie.org/directory.aspx?EID=42

I'll have more for you on Monday when I get back to my office.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:08 pm 

Thank you, all involved have been replied to via PM and I/we will be making the appropriate contact to see if services can be provided to remove the N&W Caboose part or whole. This alone should save them money as well as helping others in the preservation community. Thank you to those who have offered up guidance and help, will keep you posted on progress.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:11 pm 

RE: "Photo by Robert Bufkin of it years ago, before being moved and being repainted faux-PRR, on PRR Facebook group."

Not only is this a picture of the car in its current location, it was not repainted as faux-PRR. A sign on the opposite side of the caboose states that a similar N&W caboose was photographed for an article on Trains magazine as it was running over a nearby branch line. The sign explains that it's possibly the same caboose but no one knows for sure, and it certainly looks like it's at least the same type.

Besides the deteriorated condition of the caboose, the tower could use a good paint job, as the previous one is peeling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:14 am 

bbunge wrote:
City staff has proposed this approach as a cost savings measure instead of locating and purchasing and restoring (if needed) a proper PRR cabin, sometimes claiming that PRR cabins are rare and expensive when found.

Tim Moriarty wrote:
Anyone who wants the city to put a PRR car there should find one for them at a reasonable price and let the city know. Don't just send emails to complain about a B&O caboose where a PRR car should stand -- take action by finding the PRR cabin car you think they should acquire instead. After all, those of us involved in rail car restoration and repair should have a better idea of what's available and where to look than others...

I'm no expert on PRR cars but it seems there's one listed right here in RYPN Classifieds
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36133