It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trying to identify steam whistle I inherited
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:14 pm 

I recently inherited the following steam whistle (pretty sure it is from a train) and am looking for more information about it. Overall it measures 14in. The bell is 6in. high x 2 3/4in across. There are no markings/stamping/engraving etc... at all on the unit. I sure would like to know more about it. Any help, thoughts are welcomed.

Attachments:
File comment: Whistle
whistle001.jpg
whistle001.jpg [ 249.02 KiB | Viewed 9176 times ]

Post subject: Re: Trying to identify steam whistle I inherited
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:21 pm 

Take a look up inside it...is it one chamber or is it divided into 4 sections? If so, it has a good chance of being a Kinsley. Their specialty was 4 chime whistles.

In any event, nice whistle. Would sound right on a small locomotive or steam tractor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:38 pm 

just a single chamber up inside the bell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:36 pm 

There is an excellent book, The Engine's Moan by Ed Fagen.

You should be able to locate a copy and I believe that it could solve your question.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Even when you have an autographed copy of said book, it isn't easy.

My best guesses, based on what we're seeing here:

It's a 3" plain whistle from Crane, or possibly Powell. Crane later cast interlocking "C" marks on the valve body side as identification. If it is a Crane, it predates a design simplification in 1897.

It most likely was never on a larger steam locomotive, but more likely a smaller steam thresher, industrial boiler, or switcher.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:00 pm 

there are at least two identifying features, the acorn top nut and the flat top, with a taper in it.
The valve design might also identify it. It doesn't match anything in my 1915 Williams Catalog, and I can't get to my others; I think it's safe to say that it isn't Williams, Lunkenhiemer, Crane, nor Essex (although there's a chance it's Essex, but the acorn nut doesn't fit their "usual" design.
The valve construction tells me 100 WSP (Working Steam Pressure) maximum; so I would say industrial use, logging donkey, etc. Not likely locomotive.
Still, it's a pretty whistle, and might sound pretty good. It does look like the bell is a bit high right now; I'd try it on about 60lbs air to see how it "blows" for a start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:25 pm 

Looks like the whistle in question is a product of the Buckeye Brass Works.
Photo is from an online auction site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:22 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As you have just seen from the above, whistle identification is an inexact science. I *have* the "definitive" book on the subject, and even then it comes down to minute differences in the shape of the finial (the "acorn nut" on top), the casting of the integral valve, and even the color of the brass. This is a job for the real experts, the "walking encyclopedias" of whistles, many of whom are getting up in years and have begun or finished liquidating their collections (including the aforementioned Ed Fagen himself).

The old chestnut used to be these were worth perhaps $100 per inch of diameter--more on a good day with provenance, interesting design, or multiple chambers, less on a bad day with something plain (meaning unmarked and single-note). EBay should quickly prove the above correct.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:37 am 

The whistle is definitely a Buckeye single note, made by the Buckeye Brass Works of Dayton, OH.

The most common of all single note whistles, literally thousands were made, applied to steam traction engines, portable steam engines, stationary boilers, etc.

They can easily be found at an astounding range of prices on eBay.

David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 am 

Agree, it's a Buckeye.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:55 am 

I saw that one online/auction; and indeed it looks very close; except that particular one has engravings indicating Buckeye Brass Works on the bell and I see nothing at all on mine. Other than that they could be "twins".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:05 pm 

Your markings could have been polished off--that whistle wasn't that shiny all of its life! Too many identical features: lever fulcrum base, valve nut, top shape and top final nut (acorn nut) are to exact to be anything else--Unless someone did a complete "knock-off" which is not likely. So Buckeye it is!
Very nice looking whistle; now, How does it sound???
:)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm 

I'm (hopefully) going to try that next. I only have a small air compressor. I'm going to try the suggested 60psi. see what that does. Unless you (or someone else) has some suggestions.

Many years ago I remember hearing it blasted (by air) (I was a kid) and I can say is it was loud! LOL