It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: B&O Museum's EMC EA 51 Gets Restoration Grant
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:44 pm 

When is the last time a Winton diesel has operated? I would guess the late seventies/ early eighties when the last of the EMC switchers was being retired. Would a main gen from an early Baldwin with Westinghouse gear do the job? They are still around I believe, I recall a switcher from the 1940s was scrapped a few months ago but don't know if it would be compatible. I recall the Flying Yankee received a $10k grant to restore their Winton and then said "sorry, too hard" (and we know what happened to the rest of the project) but this would only need a single unit restored, not a whole train.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:13 pm 

It's only $150,000.

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania spent $185,000 to do a cosmetic restoration on the only surviving E7. And that was almost 20 years ago now. With inflation, that's probably easily a quarter of a million dollars today.

This won't go beyond her external appearance. And if she had spent extensive time outside which I don't think she has, without additional funding, it likely wouldn't even get that job done if they'd have to replace rotted out side panels and such.

I doubt we'd even see her cab interior fixed up unless their budget has more in it than just this grant, although it would be nice to see it looking like it did when she was in-service.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:12 pm 

And the RMPA restoration of the E7 did not include needed repairs to the upper carbody trusses at the roof intersection, which had been rusted and eroded by many years of exposure to rain water leakage. Judging from the linked pictures, the EA appears to have many of the same long term rust and rot problems as in the engine room of the E7.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 pm 

Very very nice to hear that. Back when I first visited the museum they were arranging the consist in the north car shop, and unfortunately I didn't see the EA. However when I go back in the future, I hope to go and see the EA after the restoration. Don't expect to see the engine operate though. If it does, I will be pleasantly surprised.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm 

Wait one -- do I deduce correctly that the museum is planning the restoration of the EA without so far asking or consulting Preston Cook?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:18 pm 

It's been quite a few years since Iv'e been to the B&O Railroad Museum but I remember seeing a 2 stroke diesel on display in the roundhouse that I thought was out of that loco? I see it's still installed in the loco from the pics.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:24 pm 

There is an 8-201A on floor display close to the EA. That engine is in very nice condition and was (if I recall correctly) a spare engine for switchers that was acquired from a railroad. There is also a 567 engine on display near the 201A. Location descriptions at the time of my last visit to the museum several years ago.

PC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 am 

I know of 3 marine Winton engines running, would not be surprised if there is more.

Plenty of people out there in the old engine world (notably marine) that could get them running, but it would not be cheap, nor would there be a reason unless there was hope of using it.