It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Southern Appalachia Railroad Museum troubles
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:11 am 

A lot of the equipment listed here is privatly owned. Best stay out of this if you don't know what is going on.
T7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 am 

When we hear scrapping we take concern, use this forum should you need assistance on anything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm 

Any knowledge or updates on the current situation at the SARM? It appears the Facebook account has been deactivated, and I've been using that for updates until recently.

I would like to extend condolences to anyone who was/is part of the museum or secret city scenic. I never personally was able to visit, but you guys seemed to be a class act with your head in the game from what I saw. It's not fair that the operations had to end, and with it, other things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:35 pm 

I hope to be in the Oak Ridge area soon. Is any of the SARM equipment in a public area where it can be photographed? (or is it all on government property?). What is new with SARM?

On a related note, I hope to also take a photo of New River/Southern RS-3 #520 that is sitting on a siding in the middle of nowhere not far from Oak Ridge. Can anyone give me some precise directions? I have a rough idea of where it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 pm 

dwither1 wrote:
On a related note, I hope to also take a photo of New River/Southern RS-3 #520 that is sitting on a siding in the middle of nowhere not far from Oak Ridge. Can anyone give me some precise directions? I have a rough idea of where it is.

It is in sad, sad shape. When I went a few years ago I parked near the old ROW, crossed the trestle and walked in about half a mile. It is behind a coal company sitting on the siding. The ROW is no longer used, and last I heard the coal company is either shut down or just trucking out. You might be able to get through somewhere near the company, but this was the easiest way I found.

Address near bridge- 7508 New River Hwy, Briceville, TN 37710

If you look at a satellite image, you can see the coal company and make out the tracks and bridge. There was a road alongside most of the tracks so you don't have to walk down the rails. I tried to get it out of there years ago when the only thing missing were some traction motor leads and the line was still whole. Owners were adamant about starting up another operation somewhere. I offered to lease it and get it fully operational again, they didn't want to hear it. Last video I saw was just a month or so ago, cab is open, electrical cabinet is now stripped, cars are getting vandalized. The ROW is now washed out in numerous places. I am afraid the only way left for #520 to leave that spot, is in little pieces in the back of a dump truck.