It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cutaway steam locomotive exhibits
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:03 pm 

Are there any cutaway steam locomotive exhibits in the United States other than the one at Steamtown?

I know of a few in Europe. And while interesting, I'm not asking about them. I'm also not asking about diagrams, though cutaway large scale models would be of interest. I'm asking primarily about authentic steam locomotives which have been deliberately opened up to reveal their inner components.

Does the exhibit at Steamtown articulate (drivers turn, etc)?

Post subject: Re: Cutaway steam locomotive exhibits
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:52 pm 

Hi,

The locomotive at steamtown does not articulate and while there are other locomotives in US museums that do, they are not cut-aways.

Regards,

Steve Piwowarski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:27 pm 

Thanks. I suspected they were unusual.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:37 pm 

Yes, there are cutaway steam locomotive boilers other than at Steamtown. The Disneyland Railroad cut away a boiler they removed from one of their locomotives, and use it as a training aid. They occasionally bring it out for public display, as shown here.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:28 am 

Thanks for the replies. I just ran across the Disneyland one a day ago on Google. It is so "clean" I wasn't sure if it was a new "boiler" or one repurposed. The pitting on the backhead in your photos reveals its age.

I also found a traction engine boiler sectioned in Indiana.

I know I initially stated I was only interested in US examples, I really am finding very few worldwide: Manchester and York, England; Nuremburg, Germany (maybe one in Berlin); Luzern, Switzerland; one in Russia; and another in Japan. And there are a few others exhibits that are cutaway boilers only. I find them very interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:03 am 

The Ontario Science Center in Toronto has a sectioned Welsh 2 foot 0-4-0T that was well done, and whose wheels could be turned by pushing a button. It has been in storage for many years, but when I last checked, they were not willing to deaccession it.

Steve Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:37 am 

DJSullivan wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I just ran across the Disneyland one a day ago on Google. It is so "clean" I wasn't sure if it was a new "boiler" or one repurposed. The pitting on the backhead in your photos reveals its age.

The Disneyland boiler came off the E.P. Ripley in 2002. It was built by Dixon Boiler works in 1954, so yes, it had a few years on her. The "clean" nature of the cutaway job is testament to the quality work that the Disney crew did. The inclusion of many of the boiler's other appurtenances such as the steam turret, injector and throttle further help with the understanding of steam boiler operation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:44 pm 

Antique Powerland at Brooks, OR has a cut away Heisler boiler. See:

http://placespages.blogspot.com/2014/06 ... -2009.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:42 pm 

I saw the Disneyland display yesterday. The company I work had had its annual employee "picnic" at Disneyland this year; after a buffet breakfast at the Grand California Hotel with door prices, recognition of people, etc. we were given tickets to the park.

Locomotive #3 and the "freight" car train with caboose was on display at the New Orleans Square platform with cast members talking about the locomotive, etc. And these seemed to be people who would otherwise have have been operating the trains. The area behind the train was open to the park guests and besides having the cutaway boiler had display panels about the locomotives and who they are named for and also about Walt Disney and his interests in trains.

Guests were invited into the cab of the cold locomotive. The cutaway had compressed air to the whistle mounted on the steam dome and it could be blown (except when a musical group was performing on the station platform).

The park has a Disneyland Story area next to the Mr. Lincoln theater at the start of Main Street. The currently display is about the railroads at the various parks.

The Mark Twain riverboat is also steam powered. Because the construction work is impacting the "Rivers of America" it is also not operating; but, stationary at the wharf and hosted. I was aboard it during the day and found the boiler was hot and the whistle was being blown from time to time. Also when I was over at the train display I was told that the Mark Twain engineer comes from the same group that the locomotive engineers belong to.