It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: GE 1941 23 Ton Switcher
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:31 pm 

I had a meeting with the Board of our RR society, and they were very positive about our efforts. One of the members is related to the owner of the local tourist RR, and offered some help in removing the housing over the diesel. That way we will have better access to the injectors.
Our basic starting point is to remove the injectors and run some oil into the cylinders. After that, we will try to bar the engine by hand to see if it can be turned over.We will also weld another support to take the strain off the cracked bell housing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:27 pm 

If you oil the cylinders leave the injectors OUT while it's being barred over, and leave them out until you can crank it over at regular speed and blow the cylinders out thoroughly. There is very little room in a diesel engine at TDC so it does not take much to hydrolock the engine, and when you do put the injectors in, it can easily start on that residual oil and potentially start to run away as it burns that oil off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:22 pm 

Western Railway Museum didn't take this locomotive because it doesn't fit our collection policy (electric railways of the West or closely related). I'm glad it has found a good home.