It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GE 1941 23 Ton Switcher
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:26 am 

the 32 volt battery charger is NOT compatible with the 3 group 31's. the 31's will let you test but ideally you should 'upgrade' to the RR type batteries someday. You will need to charge the 31's with some kind of battery charger. You can, of course, spend many thousands on a battery charger. Or, you can get this one: http://a.co/fEYVzJZ which will work fine. Our 25 ton has had 3 small trickle chargers (0.8 amp) on the batteries for years.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:49 pm 

I believe I have found the replacement for the original 8 volt batteries. I have attached a picture with the ratings and would like comments.

Attachments:
Battery.JPG
Battery.JPG [ 63.93 KiB | Viewed 10688 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:56 pm 

You will be hard pressed to find a better battery than West Penn. They have been in the industrial battery market for a long time. We used to sell Exide and Interstate and Penn beats them hands down for quality and life.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:19 am 

That battery should be fine. Keep in mind that picture is NOTHING like the battery you will get. (well they are both square batteries)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:19 pm 

Monday I am going to take the starter and solenoid to a starter shop to get it checked out and repaired, if necessary. I also bought a roll of Military grade aircraft wire to aid in rewiring the engine.
I also found a General Motors dual needle air pressure gauge on eBay to replace the one in the cab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 pm 

Help! need a 600 amp DC ammeter with a 50 mv shunt for our engine GE part number DO-40

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 pm 

Check ebay. Any 50mv meter will replace it, just need one that fits the hole appropriately. If it's a close match, you can swap out the faceplate. Or you can redecorate the faceplate that is in there if you can't swap them out directly. My dad made a custom meter once a long time ago by simply taking a picture and sliding the print into the meter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:04 am 

You can get those 8 volt batteries for a reasonable price at any Cat dealership .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:24 pm 

More help!
Can anyone send me a picture or diagram of the right hand cab of a GE 23 ton engine. I have been reading the manual, and it appears some indicators are missing, such as the load indicator, which is a 600 amp meter marked with green, yellow, and red arcs.
Thank you

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm 

Just got another big surprise. In reviewing the original manual for the switcher, it appears the generator was also replaced along with the diesel. It almost looks like a drop-in replacement of both items.
The reason I am doing this research is to figure out how to remove the bell housing for repair. It should be interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:53 pm 

Today was a big day for us. We tried turning the engine manually with a 2 1/4 socket, extension and breaker bar.
After about a half turn, the shaft stuck. We opened the access port to look at the crankshaft, and worked the shaft back and forth.
Suddenly, it broke free and we were able to turn the engine more than one revolution.
On our next time we will reinstall the starter and using a spare battery along with a car battery, see if we can get the engine to turn over with the starter.
We also put a floor jack under the rear of the engine, and as we jacked it up, the cracks in the bell housing got smaller.
We are in the process of fabricating an adjustable rear support for the engine. I sent photos of the bell housing to Lock n Stitch, and they said they might be able to repair it in place. That would be a blessing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:48 pm 

Wishing your group well on the work on your 23 ton GE. I have been assisting and working on three narrow gauge 25 ton locomotives at Kauai Railway in Kauai, HI for the last several years. One thing to keep in mind is most 23 and 25 ton locomotive built by GE were POSITIVE GROUND. So please remember this when hooking up any electrical devices. Like switches, must be insulated from the metal dasher they will ground when screwed in. If you decide to use a 32 volt alternate, you must use a IR type. There is an great manual that can be downloaded online for 23 and 25 ton GE locomotives.
Question: does your locomotive have (3) main electric contactors?
These would be. S or S! (mail line voltage. GS or GS1 (starting contact ) and M or M! which is for Field Shunting once the speed gets above 20mph. There will also be either one or two GF1 and GF2 (generator field contractors). Let me know if you might be looking for parts for these as I have a parts source. Our locomotives are straight air and use an SA brake valve system, if needed please send me your address and I can send you a manual on the SA brake valve and parts listing. Hoping your groups work continues on bring another GE small locomotive back into service.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 am 

Thank you for your advice. I just spent some time tracing the heavy cables from the battery box to the starter. I used wire numbers to keep track and annotate the wiring diagram.
It is definitely a positive ground system.
Our next task is to jack up and support the rear of the engine with a clever design consisting of 1 inch pipe, floor flanges and a one inch diameter jack screw. It appears that jacking the rear up closes the cracks in the bell housing. We did a trial with an automotive floor jack, and the results were encouraging.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 pm 

Bowmore wrote:
I am also checking prices on 32volt battery chargers. I got a call from the GNB Industrial rep who sent me some great data

For those looking for a 32v charger without having to pay top dollar, check at marinas and places that repair yachts and older work boats. Most older yachts were 32v, some into the early 1980's. Right now there are alot of vessels being rebuilt, upgraded or changed over to 24v. Most older boats had basic, non sensing chargers that, over time, damage the batteries when plugged in 24-7. They make great temporary chargers. And if you play your cards right, you may be able to get one for free.

Also, we have a 50ton GE and use 2 31 series 12 volt batteries and 1 8v195 8volt battery. Works great, even below freezing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:57 pm 

I just word that our local tourist railroad wants to borrow the switcher. I was told it will have to meet FRA requirements.
I have no idea what that entails, so please help me with this.
Thank you

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next