It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: GE 1941 23 Ton Switcher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm 

Al Stangenberger wrote:
Information on the SA-2 and other self-lapping brake valves::

http://www.cotma.net.au/library/westinghouse/air_systems/WH%20Leaflet%202455%20%20Self%20Lapping%20Brake%20Valves%20-%201932.pdf

COTMA is the Council of Tramway Museums of Australasia - very interesting web site.

http://www.cotma.net.au/

Wonderful! Thank you so much. Now if I could find the generator part number I would be golden LOL
The deeper I get into this engine the bigger the mess is.
Apparently the only original piece of equipment is the air compressor. Starting with the original diagrams for fuel, electrical and air, systems..I am going to have to figure out the modifications.
For example, the original 2 handle 14EL air valve has been replaced by SA2 and SA9 valves
The main panel looks nothing like any GE panel I have seen pictures of
BUT, if we can get the diesel running, we will work everything else out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:33 pm 

Today was a big day for me. I picked up 2 type 31 batteries for the diesel. I would like to thank RPN people for their advice.
My partner is on vacation, but when he gets back, we will hit it hard. I am hoping to get the diesel running by the end of the month. If that happens, I will pick up the 3rd battery so we can run the controls.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:54 pm 

Ok we got the injectors and plungers reinstalled. Our next task is to set the injectors and the valves.
I heed help with one big problem, though. One axle is driven by the traction motor, but the other is driven by a chain. I was told I have to clean and lubricate it, but I have NO idea ob how to access it. Is this something that has to be done from a pit?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:21 pm 

pit would be best but I am pretty sure you can slide under on the ties and access it.

There should be 2 drip oilers in the cab, with tubes going down to the chain. One tube per side of the chain.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:59 pm 

On the 25 tonners the drip oiler is near the hood wall above the generator on the fireman side (between the 2 doors). Since it probably hasn't been oiled for a while order some Kroil from McMaster.com 1463k13 and hose it down.

There is an access door to the underside forward of the front axle on the engineer side (right behind where you currently have a step, that is not on the 25s). As far as I heard the 23 tonners were 25 tonners with a thinner deck plate. There should also be another on the diagonal opposite corner to access the traction motor.

Take care,
Rich C.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:12 pm 

I just returned from a Hawaiian cruise. On Oahu, I visited the Hawaiian Railway. Unfortunately, Steve was in CA, and Bob had just left. One of the other members let me crawl around their 7750, but it is unlike our switcher.
We did ride the "Ice Cream Train", which was a nice 1-1/2 hour ride in open cars. On the return, we stopped at the "Two Scoops" Ice cream store for some great ice cream.
On Kauai, I visited the Kilohana Plantation and the have a 3 foot version of our switcher.We had rode their train on a previous visit.
I met Lou, the mechanic and Bruce the engineer. They let me up in the cab to get some photos. Had a long discussion with Lou about repair of our switcher. Both were very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:51 pm 

Well, Wednesday is the day we hope to have all the injectors set,fuel lines filled, and oil replaced. I am going to use a 3rd 12 volt battery in series to see if I can get any of the relays to energize.
I have the original wiring diagram, but I know the switcher has been much modified.
I figure that if I can rewire a light aircraft, this should not be a problem.
All of it hangs on getting the diesel running. If we cant, we have a big boat anchor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:44 pm 

I spent part of this afternoon in the electrical cabinet with my voltmeter. First, when I closed the main switch, the voltmeter on the panel indicated the proper voltage.
I then checked the voltage on all 6 fuses, confirming that they were all good.
So far, the wiring matches the diagram in the manual that some nice person here sent me.
Tomorrow we hope to get all the injectors set.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:14 pm 

Just a few things about your electrical cabinet. First there should be three large GE contractors. Hopefully they are marked. Should be S or S! ( this is the Line Voltage contactor. It should energize when you conect the battery knife switch. It puts power to control, lights, gauges, heat etc. To see if the coil is working you can do a static ohm test of the coil, should be 38.6 ohms if ok. The next contactor should be marked GS or GS1. This is the Diesel engine starting contractor, again if static test (no battery voltage) coil should be 6.4 ohms. The last contactor if equipped is M or M!. This is a field shunting contractor that kicks in when the locomotive is operating above 20 miles per hour. Contractor coil static should be 73.0 ohms. You will find either one or two smaller contractors make GF1/GF2 this is the generator field contractor, this connects line voltage to the generator fields. again static coil voltage is 73.0 ohms. Before starting with battery knife switch out, push in movable contacts to make sure they are not stuck or sticking. If mis aligned there will be arch marks on the contact tips. DO NOT SAND THESE, file off tips if needed. Cheaters way to align........Align tips by hand best you can do, if you can find carbon paper place between tips pushing hard together a few time. Should leave a thin blue line across entire tip surface. If only on one side it is not properly aligned . Hope this help

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:52 am 

The first contactor does not put power to the 'aux', it's a line contactor that isolates the generator from the traction motor. It should close when the throttle is moved off idle AND the battery switch AND the control power switch is closed.

I think his unit has been modified with a conventional starter motor. So his cranking contactor might not be there. In fact, I saw a unit that had been gutted and modified, the ONLY contactor left was a line power contactor.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:06 am 

Thank you both for all the information. There are 3 big contactors present, but they are not marked.
As Peguspinto mentioned, the original engine was replaced with a 1974 Cummins diesel, which has a starter.. It also has an alternator with a 32 volt regulator. to charge the batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:03 am 

Once again, RPN comes through. I was reading about the SH & SH railroad, and looked up Long Island in my Tourist RR book. I found the LI RR museum and looked at their website. It turns out they have a GE 25 ton switcher.
I called them and was put in touch with Don, who was very helpful. He referred me to John, who did the electrical work on the switcher. He was able to identify the contactors and describe their function. This will be a big help in getting our switcher going
RPN Rules!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:34 pm 

I hooked up the 3rd battery through a big knife switch, so I can select 24 volts for the starter, or 36 volts for the electrical equipment.
I advanced the throttle, and heard a satisfying CLUNK as the contactors closed.
I will eventually replace the third 12volt battery with an 8 volt so the alternator can charge the batteries.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:34 pm 

Different sizes and types of batteries used together will not balance charging equally. The weaker battery will boil out and , worst case scenario may explode. Wear goggles. Avoid Rube Goldberg scenarios.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:10 pm 

Success! We got the diesel running! It ran a little ragged, spewing out all the oil we had put in to lubricate the cylinders
We are so grateful for all the help from RYPN !!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next