It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Everett's Steam Locomotives - WMSR Timeline and work?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 pm 

Was wondering - and looking to have the information available to those interested -

Everett Railroad owns two steam locomotives:
2-6-0 #11, a 1923 Alco built for use in Cuba and
2-8-0 #38, a 1929 Baldwin built for the Huntingdon & Broad Top Mountain Railroad

What date did these two steam locomotives arrive at the Western Maryland Scenic for restoration to operation? Assume #11 shipped from Everett, PA and #38 shipped direct from the Knox and Kane?

Ironically, Google Earth still shows #11 on display in Everett, PA which is not connected by rail to the current Everett operation:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Evere ... b01d?hl=en

Back in 2006 it was on display at the "Bloody Run Historical Society" located at the old Everett Railroad station (who knew!). Does that society have ties with Everett Railroad? Has a new piece been swapped for the now missing (operational) #11?

(Everett was once known as "Bloody Run")

http://bloodyrunhistory.org/

What (if any) work was performed on each before being shipped to Everett in Holidaysburg, PA?

What date was each shipped to Everett in Holidaysburg, PA?

And last - below, photos of each while at the WMSR, and a current photo of #11 at Holidaysburg. Here, the crew had brought #11 forward to the station, then backed her up to be loaded with coal, along with some running gear lubrication - and then, though, I can not recall the order, the ash was dropped and shoveled off the ROW. I thought the ash was typically dropped AFTER a days run, vs first thing? Is it simply a preference?

More info for those whose curiosity I've piqued:
http://www.everettrailroad.com/railfans ... oster.aspx

/Mitch

Attachments:
File comment: Everett 2-6-0 #11 December 2015
EV 11 AM Ash SLR.jpg
EV 11 AM Ash SLR.jpg [ 284.95 KiB | Viewed 10846 times ]
File comment: Everett 2-6-0 #11 September 2013
Everett 11 WMSR SLR.jpg
Everett 11 WMSR SLR.jpg [ 256.28 KiB | Viewed 10846 times ]
File comment: Everett 2-8-0 #38 September 2015
HBTM 38 WMSR SLR.jpg
HBTM 38 WMSR SLR.jpg [ 275.12 KiB | Viewed 10846 times ]

Post subject: Re: Everett's Steam Locomotives - WMSR Timeline and work?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:28 am 

One thing I can clear up is that the Everett Railroad No. 11 that's in Everett today is not the same No. 11 that recently returned to service. It's really the "first" preservation era Everett 11, a Baldwin 2-6-2 originally built for the Kanawha, Glen Jean & Eastern as that road's No. 200; as built, it had a slope back tender. This engine would be sold to Moorehead & North Fork in 1940 (when KGJ&E was purchased and merged into the Chesapeake & Ohio), and would be sold again to the earlier version of the Everett in 1964.

A picture of the "First 11" in happier days:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2876499

An earlier thread on this engine:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37631&p=227248

Last edited by J3a-614 on Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:56 am 

Some other photos of "First 11," with one from the files of the current Everett Railroad:

http://www.everettrailroad.com/images/r ... _large.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/everett/roster/ ... 11_ros.JPG

http://www.trainweb.org/everett/library ... 000001.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/everett/library ... 028010.jpg

A page with photos that may be of interest for both the Everett and the Huntington & Broad Top--a remnant of which was the first version of the Everett Railroad:

http://www.trainweb.org/everett/library/library.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:39 am 

#11 (1st) 2-6-2 Baldwin 1909. Acquired from Morehead & North Fork RR, Morehead, KY, via George Silcott, dealer, operated at Everett, PA, from 1965 through 1970 season, sold 1971 to the Williams Grove Amusement Park, sold February 2000 to the Bloody Run Historical Society for display at Everett, PA.

#11 (2nd) 2-6-0 Alco 1920. Acquired by Alan Maples from James Wright (Middletown & New Jersey RR), 11/22/2006, trucked to the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Ridgeley, WV, 12/6/2006, trucked to Everett Railroad, Claysburg PA, 3/25/15. Work completed at WMSR included new firedoor sheet, overhauled pony truck, new tires, crown brass, rebuilt tender, etc. Work completed at Claysburg included tubing boiler, piping, air system, wiring, jacketing, etc.

#38 2-8-0 Baldwin 1927. Acquired by Alan Maples at Knox & Kane RR auction October 10/10/2008, tender & running gear trucked to Everett RR, Claysburg, PA, 11/18/2008, boiler moved at the same time to Western Maryland Scenic Railroad, Ridgeley, WV. Boiler trucked to Everett RR, Hollidaysburg, PA, on 2/25/16. No repairs undertaken to date other than removal of superheater units and some appliances.

Additional history and photographs can be found on our web site, http://www.everettrailroad.com

Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:24 am 

Alan Maples wrote:
#11 (1st) 2-6-2 Baldwin 1909. Acquired from Morehead & North Fork RR, Morehead, KY, via George Silcott, dealer, operated at Everett, PA, from 1965 through 1970 season, sold 1971 to the Williams Grove Amusement Park, sold February 2000 to the Bloody Run Historical Society for display at Everett, PA.

Alan Maples
Everett Railroad

Alan -

The first Everett #11 had a very interesting Baldwin builders number; 33333! I believe that this might be the only surviving steamer that had a five digit b/n with all similar numbers. Of course, there couldn't have been that many amongst the various locomotive builders; not even if you also include four digit builders numbers (xxxx). I wonder if the first number 11 still has her builders plates?

Les

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:53 am 

My wife and I rode the Everett RR Family Train Excursion pulled by Mogul #11 yesterday afternoon. The day was rainy but about 100 people were on the noon run, mostly families with children, which was nice to see. Several commented about the affordable ticket prices. The crew included a long time East Broad Top Conductor, David Brightbill and all were very professional. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves and the steam heated coaches took the chill off after standing in the open baggage section to take in the sound and smell of #11.

One thing several passengers were amused by-the large group of FOAMERS chasing the train from crossing to crossing in the driving rain. One guy even set a ladder on the roof of his car to get a high angle shot.

Wonder if any of those chasers will ever buy a ticket and ride the train!

Now,on to the WMSR. A visit to their website yesterday leads me to believe the chances of seeing #1309 in steam any time in 2016 are slim. All excursions are now listed as powered by GP-30 #501 and there is no mention of steam on the site. A project as big as #1309 was bound to have some unexpected issues and expenses.

The WMSR Foundation website is selling parts of the 1309 to raise funds. Well, you don't get the part, your are the funding sponsor. Hey for $10,000 you can fund an air compressor, or $300 for a flue, $50 for a staybolt and more. I hope some donors with deep pockets ante up along with us little guys.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:44 pm 

For the uninitiated, most if not all, steam locomotive restorations will NOT announce an in-service date until they are practically done with the restoration itself. There are far too many opportunities for last-minute surprises to crop up for any sensible organization today to announce or commit to having their new steam locomotive in service until they are very nearly finished with it. No one should be surprised in the least that WMSR is not projecting 1309 to be pulling any trains yet. "Microwave society" thinking still does not apply to restoring steam locomotives. It'll be done when it's done. Despite newspaper articles to the contrary, no sensible railfan should be buying plane tickets to Denver to chase 844 on the Cheyenne Frontier Days train in July, either, unless they are planning on going to CFD itself, lol.

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:01 pm 

steamloco76 wrote:
Wonder if any of those chasers will ever buy a ticket and ride the train!

Some, like I, do, and I can vouch for the "guy on the ladder on top of the car", but I agree and endorse your "train of thought". Gotta pay to play - your support helps keep the operation successful and a worthwhile endeavor for the operator. When chasing - you should probably think of it as a pay per chase budget photo charter.

As for announcing the restoration date of a steam locomotive - the old adage is: "It'll be done when it's done!" I was surprised to see the WMSR announce a date. Dates, even. Though, a ballpark or hoped for date is something I think we as railfans welcome and appreciate with the understanding that it is just that.

UP No. 844 - that's unique in that "they" are actually advertising the use of the locomotive with an upcoming event. That sounds more like a promise, one that many expect was broken before it was announced. There's no "give or take a few days" in an announcement like that.

Everett's next excursions:
http://everettrailroad.com/excursions/s ... endar.aspx

/Mitch

Attachments:
Everett Ticket to Ride VLR.jpg
Everett Ticket to Ride VLR.jpg [ 233.7 KiB | Viewed 9492 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:40 pm 

I don't know if everyone can see this (it's from Facebook), but it's a nice video of Everett No. 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJFsjB9H23g

Last edited by Jeff Lisowski on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Correct video URL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:34 pm 

I recall when the 2nd #11 was advertised for sale in 2006. We briefly considered buying it on speculation since it is of an ideal size for so many operations. It has a good home in the Everett RR.

Regarding completion the date(s) previously given on #1309, I heard a rumor that the WMSR front office was issuing those dates without even consulting the mechanical dept. Just wishful thinking I guess. When our #475 was being restored, one of our machinists wrote in grease pencil in foot tall letters down the side of the boiler barrel, "DON'T ASK WHEN", in response to the constant repetition of that question by railfans.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:42 am 

Quote:
"Regarding completion the date(s) previously given on #1309, I heard a rumor that the WMSR front office was issuing those dates without even consulting the mechanical dept. Just wishful thinking I guess. When our #475 was being restored, one of our machinists wrote in grease pencil in foot tall letters down the side of the boiler barrel, "DON'T ASK WHEN", in response to the constant repetition of that question by railfans.]"

Just like many rumors; this one is false. The WMSR Board of Directors asked that a reasonable in-service date be determined for #1309 upon which future marketing and ticket sales strategies could be developed. This was being driven by an active push to market to bus and tour companies which plan multiple years in advance. The initial time-in-service estimate, completed after removal of 1309's jacket and cab, was based upon the mechanical department's review of boiler condition and cost estimates for rebuild. Once Scott Lindsay and his excellent team completed the boiler's ultrasonic testing, the WMSR Board of Directors and management team (operations and mechanical) released a new date based upon UT information that was expected to delay completion (areas of the boiler that were below, at or approaching Tmin, sheet thickness, etc.) and items which would positively affect the schedule ($400,000 in funding from the state of MD, multiple contractor teams being available to concurrently conduct repairs, etc.). When the Board of Directors was unable to obtain bridge financing to bridge the gap between the promise and delivery of state of MD support (February/March vs July), operations and mechanical management refused to discuss any new firm date for 1309's return to service.

Last edited by Jeff Lisowski on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corrected quote

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:23 am 

ASTA1 wrote:
Just like many rumors; this one is false.

In that case I wish to apologize for perpetuating a rumor. However, Mgoldman is correct in that any date announced at the beginning of a restoration is a WAG at best, regardless of how knowledgeable the source is.

Regardless, I will look forward to seeing her in steam, and I will celebrate another steam engine that I would have bet any money would have never run again.

Thanks for taking it on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:12 am 

I'm with Kelly on issuing completion dates for a wheels up restoration of a mainline steam locomotive. In 1979 CSX ( then Chessie System Railroads) had invested $ 100k towards the restoration of C&O 614 and the Steve Wickersham our General Foreman in the Hagerstown shop would get at least 3/4 calls a week from the Chairman's office ( Hays T. Watkins was then the boss and a strong steam lover) asking for a completion date and Steve faithfully would say " making good progress, best current guess about 5 months from now". After about 2 months of getting the same " about 5 months from now" answer they finally stopped calling.

NO ONE can give an accurate estimated time of completion until very near the end of the process. It's just the nature of the beast.

With a decent amount of good luck we should see the 1309 under steam late in 2017, IMHO.

Ross Rowland