It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Santa Fe Car in Passenger Train at Bingham, Utah - 1912
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:47 am 

These first two photos appear to show the same train, or at least the first two cars of the same train.

Photo 1 shows a passenger train in the main Bingham & Garfield yard, about to depart Bingham. Although the locomotive and first two cars appear to be the same as in the second photo, the train has more cars. There is no information available for this photo, other than the locomotive and first two cars being likely the same as the lower photo.

Photo 2 is part of the collection at Utah State Historical Society, which shows the photographer as Shipler and a date of February 8, 1912. It shows the train on the tracks of the Bingham & Garfield railroad, crossing the high bridge over Markham Gulch, and about to enter the main B&G yard at Bingham. The locomotive is UP 4-6-2 no. 111, a standard Harriman light Pacific. Photo 2 is just five months after the B&G went into business hauling long trains of copper ore from the Bingham mine, north 16 miles to the mills at Garfield, on the south shore of Great Salt Lake.

I found a newspaper article, also in February 1912, saying that the new B&G passenger tram (Photo 3) was just finished and began taking passengers and express from Bingham itself, up to the B&G depot, 225 feet above the town. This news item says that B&G was running two passenger trains per day between Salt Lake City and Bingham, leaving from the "Harriman" depot, and that each round trip took three hours. The news item also says that passengers did not have to change trains at Garfield, and the same train served both railroads. Maybe that is what is shown in Photo 2. The so-called Harriman depot was the joint Oregon Short Line RR and San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake RR depot in Salt Lake, finished in 1909.

My question is about the car at the far left of Photo 1, with its steel frame exposed. If I recall my basic railroad history correctly, only AT&SF had such cars. And it appears to be an official's business car. Is this truly an AT&SF business car? (Rather than being an exposed frame, it may be boxes mounted to the underside of the car, between the truss rods.)

My own guess is that the train in Photo 1 is a special train, bringing railroad officials from Salt Lake City to show off the new B&G railroad, which was quite an engineering feat for its day. But, so far, I have not been able to find mention of such a special train in the online newspapers.

Attachments:
File comment: Bingham, Utah (no date)
Bingham_Passenger-train-at-Bingham_facebook_1000.jpg
Bingham_Passenger-train-at-Bingham_facebook_1000.jpg [ 111.49 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]
File comment: Arriving at Bingham, February 1912
Bingham_Passenger-train-on-Markham-Gulch-bridge_USHS-Utah-Copper-Railroad-System-P7_39222001654651_1000.jpg
Bingham_Passenger-train-on-Markham-Gulch-bridge_USHS-Utah-Copper-Railroad-System-P7_39222001654651_1000.jpg [ 192.56 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]
File comment: Bingham Passenger Tram. Main B&G yard on upper level; Bingham town on lower level.
PC_Bingham_B-G-Lower-Depot_with-tram_1000.jpg
PC_Bingham_B-G-Lower-Depot_with-tram_1000.jpg [ 240.68 KiB | Viewed 2728 times ]