It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Menk the Fink Button
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:56 pm 

Let me assure everybody, Q employees had many reasons for using this phrase, which had nothing to do with steam. We also had many old timers that hated to see steam killed off.

I have no personal internet connection, but could receive a foto of this button via RyPN PM, and would love to see it. However, I never figured out how to attach an image to a PM... best of luck with that.

Thanks for the memories.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:39 pm 

In December 1980, the Akron Railroad Club hosted the last public appearance at it's annual banquet by Frimbo himself, Rogers E. M. Whitaker. In his talk, the World's most traveled railroad passenger mentioned various railroad officials he had known, and said that former NYC RR president Alfred Perlman was called "Public Enemy" Perlman. I can't remember for sure why, but I'm guessing it had to do with efforts to end the Central's passenger service? So, Louis Menk wasn't the only railroad executive of the era held in low esteem.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:58 pm 

I've heard batted around that Perlman was the model for the character "Harry Foster Malone" in he movie "It Happened to Jane".

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:45 pm 

Harry Foster Malone was based on Patrick B. McGinnis of the New Haven, no ifs and or buts.

Perlman had been instrumental in pruning back the D&RGW narrow-gage empire when he was General Manager of the Rio Grande. Frimbo hated to see the branchline and narrow gage services cut off.

Menk may have been detested by the employees; Perlman seems to have inspired a leadership cadre that went on after NYC to other railroads and transportation companies, and were quite successful. Tough but fair.

McGinnis was a con man, a Wall Street manipulator, and a crook. He went to Federal prison for taking kickbacks for sale of B&M rolling stock; he was president of B&M after he was tossed out of the New Haven.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 am 

Your absolutely right, almost forgot about McGinnis. I had a friend who had been an engine dispatcher for the NH during that era. He talked about how the Hudsons, which were near brand new at the time, mysteriously disappearing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:17 pm 

Jennie K wrote:
I've heard batted around that Perlman was the model for the character "Harry Foster Malone" in he movie "It Happened to Jane".

I always figured the Perlman was the inspiration for "Homer Bedlow" on Petticoat Junction...........

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:46 pm 

Perlman has few favorites amongst steam lovers, and for good reasons. Just be careful about relegating a severe business executive to the level of McGinnis. Hudsons and oranges.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:06 pm 

Upon sober reflection (but without digging out a photo), I think the button I saw read, "MENK is a FINK." So there may have been several styles around Chicago. I've also still got my Ed Roth Rat Fink toy.

Aarne Frobom
Big Hole, Michigan