Railway Preservation News
http://www.rypn.org/forums/

Reading Steam Power Car #92100
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40320
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Cameron Wolk [ Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Reading Steam Power Car #92100

I recently won a original photograph of Reading Steam Power car #92100 and am searching for additional info on its build date, service history and current disposition. I'm aware it was sold to the LIRR in the early 50s and is currently be held in Holban Yard as an office but that's my best luck. Do any members from the Philly or Long Island region have any records documenting the history of #92100? I'd appreciate it,

Cameron

Attachments:
921001.jpg
921001.jpg [ 221.05 KiB | Viewed 2503 times ]

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

Your wish is my command
http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=164032

Author:  Finderskeepers [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

...and here in colour
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/rdg92100.jpg

Author:  Cameron Wolk [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

Finderskeepers wrote:

That's good Finders but I have already seen both sites. I wonder if the gentlemen out at the RT&HS might know perhaps I'll contact them for records. #92100 is the only remaining ex-Reading steam generator car and we're glad to have it under MTA care. I look forward to the future.

Author:  geep392 [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

The 92100 was the ONLY steam power car that the Reading had. It actually started out as a combine which was converted to a baggage car. That's the reason for the vestibules. It was then converted to the steam power car with 3 steam generators removed from passenger-equipped RS-3s after non-electrified passenger service was converted to RDC's after 1962. I understand that it was supposed to have the center sill supported when parked due to the weight of those steam generators. The car was the subject of an article in the RCT&HS magazine, which is out of print, if I recall. I could make copies if interested.

What do you mean "waiting for the future"?

Author:  Cameron Wolk [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

geep392 wrote:
The 92100 was the ONLY steam power car that the Reading had. It actually started out as a combine which was converted to a baggage car. That's the reason for the vestibules. It was then converted to the steam power car with 3 steam generators removed from passenger-equipped RS-3s after non-electrified passenger service was converted to RDC's after 1962. I understand that it was supposed to have the center sill supported when parked due to the weight of those steam generators. The car was the subject of an article in the RCT&HS magazine, which is out of print, if I recall. I could make copies if interested.

What do you mean "waiting for the future"?


I believe the #92100 along with a few other coaches (P-72s?) were moved recently from Morris Park to the RMLI out in Riverhead. The railroad painted it in MOW yellow storing it in Holban yard and had part of it turned into a stationary warehouse. I'm not sure if it still has the boilers but it appears to be relatively intact. I know we have Oyster Bay's RPO car already so I'll have to double check otherwise I'd be very interested in learning more.

Author:  philip.marshall [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

So is the car now the property of RMLI? When did the LI acquire it from RDG?

-Philip Marshall

Author:  Cameron Wolk [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

philip.marshall wrote:
So is the car now the property of RMLI? When did the LI acquire it from RDG?

-Philip Marshall

Hi Marshall, we don't own the #92100 but it may be moved to our property as the railroad begins its renovation of the Morris Park facility. We've already received the OBRM's RPO car as previously noted along with potentially several other items. If moved here I don't think any major work would occur unless a consensus could be reached between the two parties. #92100 is still an active piece of equipment and is regularly used by LIRR track crews for storage and shelter. As much as I'd like to have a functional steam generator car I don't think that's within our current reach.

Author:  philip.marshall [ Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

Thanks for the clarification, Mr Wolk. It's interesting to see how much unusual equipment the LI is shifting around because of the Morris Park renovation project (which I fear will finally be the end of the Morris Park turntable and roundhouse after 134 years, but that's a different topic).

Near my home in Port Jefferson, the west yard is now occupied by four P72 coaches (nos. 2935 and 2956 which belong to the Oyster Bay RR Museum, and nos. 2909 and 2966 belonging to the NY Transit Museum) and some sad looking MP15s (nos. 162, 169, and 170) that were all moved out from the dead line at Morris Park. They all appeared suddenly right around Thanksgiving, but unfortunately, they're not really in a place where I can get pictures of them without trespassing.

-Philip Marshall

Author:  Thomas Cornillie [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

What is the current status of this car in terms of its ownership and future plans?

Recent photos show that P-72s that were previously preserved are now headed to Frontier Industrial Corporation to be scrapped. http://railpictures.net/photo/638650/

Is Power Car #92100 also at risk?

Author:  Cameron Wolk [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

Thomas Cornillie wrote:
What is the current status of this car in terms of its ownership and future plans?

Recent photos show that P-72s that were previously preserved are now headed to Frontier Industrial Corporation to be scrapped. http://railpictures.net/photo/638650/

Is Power Car #92100 also at risk?

It's still at Holban Thomas along with the two other ex-B&M coaches. I would ask outside groups to proactively take steps if they have any interest in them. RMLI will most likely not be acquiring these artifacts this time around.

Author:  RDGRAILFAN [ Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Reading Steam Power Car #92100

Just found this on 92100 and sale to LI
CVl 420 (BAa1753) car was converted twice during its life.
converted to BAax Power Car 92100 in July, 1962.
Sold to Long Island RR 7/16/68 for $37,000.

poking around with an old employee I was told that it was often used (winter) at
Reading terminal to supply the steam lines for the platforms after the powerhouse was taken out of service.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/