It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Nevada Northern Shout-Out on CBS' "Big Bang Theory"
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:51 pm 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
I will admit that I was a little disappointed when I first saw the "glaring boo-boo", but once the whole last part of the show had played through, I was a little more OK with it since it made more sense then.

I finally saw the episode in question. Given that the locomotive cab sequence was just Amy's daydream, it didn't need to be accurate. Overall, I liked it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:01 pm 

nathansixchime wrote:
Getting name dropped by a show with over 19 million viewers? Hard to buy that kinda buzz from the general public.

And that name dropping will happen again when the episode is rebroadcast and syndicated.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:21 pm 

Dear junior,

Would you please inform Mr. Alan Harper how off base he is. Please see this December 21, 2016 article on his railroads to be fully informed of the statement.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/1229 ... -companies

Here is the segment I based the comment on.

American Heritage Railways, the parent company of the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, is preparing for more growth in Durango and across the country.
The Durango train saw its third year of ridership growth in 2016, and American Heritage Railways CEO and Chairman Al Harper expects that trend to continue in 2017.

“We are finally getting back to the numbers the railroad saw before 2002,” he said.
This year, ridership is up about 4 percent over last year, and Harper expects to see more than 190,000 riders in 2017.

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:57 pm 

Sad that he doesn't even know his own operational numbers as reported....

Mt. Rainer Scenic reported hauling just under 36,000 people in 2015, and 27,540 through November of 2016.

Not quite sure how that's a 60% increase over 2015?

Great Smokey Mountain Railroad reported: 175,231 in 2015 and 134,140 through November of 2016.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:18 am 

No he does know his numbers. The issue here is not the number of riders but what service they ride. I am sure he is looking at the impact to the bottom line of each type of service. Remember that total numbers would include polars, pumpkin patch and other non Silverton destination activities. The Silverton trips have taken this long to recover. The diverse and continually growing portfolio of trips added to the total number of riders which can create a false impression if you do not understand what the numbers are basedupon..

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 am 

Regardless of what trains they ride, they imply they have not recovered from pre 2002 fire numbers in terms of annual ridership.

That's false, according to the numbers they report to the FRA.

The bulk of their ridership falls within the 6 month Silverton Season, May -October. In each of the years following 2002 that I posted, they have reported annually hauling over 200,000 people just within those 6 months, with the exception of 2002.

Their financial bottom line may not be the same, but the implication was annual ridership.

Now, if the ridership numbers reported to the FRA are false, incorrect, bloated, exacerbated, etc, then I'll apologize and stand corrected.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 am 

The fra does not care the service the passenger rode but any tourist RR should. The Silverton run is the bases of the business. Understanding how such a number is determined is critical if you are to understand its limitations. You like the bridge designer that told me all metals break at the same stress. What he saw was a table of averages and assumed the precision was tight. But there are a lot of variables within the number. In you numbers there is a 100000 spike for one year. Should that not be suspect for you?
Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:30 am 

What is even the point of this argument? Robby you seem hellbent to make anything good look bad. Are you sure this is the industry for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 am 

Hot Metal wrote:
What is even the point of this argument? Robby you seem hellbent to make anything good look bad. Are you sure this is the industry for you?

Actually the entire argument has gone completely off-topic, and should either be deleted from this thread or moved elsewhere.

Has anyone from the NN heard from the folks at CBS or a representative/publicist for Jim Parsons about making something happen? Perhaps having him actually come out for a quick trip behind the throttle, even if not for TV, would be even better publicity for the railroad.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:35 am 

bigjim4life wrote:
Has anyone from the NN heard from the folks at CBS or a representative/publicist for Jim Parsons about making something happen? Perhaps having him actually come out for a quick trip behind the throttle, even if not for TV, would be even better publicity for the railroad.

I was thinking the same thing after watching the episode yesterday. Send a real invitation to Mr. Parsons for a free engineer for a day program.

Over the weekend I saw a repeat of "American Restoration" where they rebuilt a velocipede for the NN. In that episode they gave the host Rick, a free lesson and chance to run the steamer as part of the payment for restoring the velocipede.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:45 pm 

About ridership on the D&SNG, Robby posted:
Robby Peartree wrote:
Remember that total numbers would include polars, pumpkin patch and other non Silverton destination activities. The Silverton trips have taken this long to recover. The diverse and continually growing portfolio of trips added to the total number of riders which can create a false impression if you do not understand what the numbers are basedupon..

Upthread, Randy made a great point about how we confuse details with the big picture. In his posts, Robby was trying to explain a big picture to other posters who are fixated on details (annual ridership numbers).

IMHO, that big picture is that the D&SNG's offerings have changed over the years; the railroad now sells products than did not exist 20 years ago. The railroad used to only offer a choice of coach or open car seat to Silverton. Nowadays, the railroad offers all sorts of special short runs (Peanuts Train, Dinosaur Train, Polar Express, etc) out to their Animas River park on the north side of Durango. They also have a few coaches devoted just to carrying people to the Zip line attraction in the Animas canyon, which is another product that wasn't available 20 years ago. Furthermore, many of the passengers who go all the way to Silverton ride in the Silver Vista and other first-class cars that didn't exist 20 years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:31 pm 

Chris Webster wrote:
About ridership on the D&SNG, Robby posted:
Robby eartree wrote:
Remember that total numbers would include polars, pumpkin patch and other non Silverton destination activities. The Silverton trips have taken this long to recover. The diverse and continually growing portfolio of trips added to the total number of riders which can create a false impression if you do not understand what the numbers are basedupon..

Holy thread drift Batman!

Can we please either get this thread back to discussing BBT railroad preservation references, lock the thread or start a separate discussion on D&SNG ridership?

Thank you.
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
A big heapin' dose of free publicity to the concept that "engineer for an hour/day/weekend experiences" really DO exist at many excursion railroads)

I just went to NN's Facebook page and they're playing up the BBT connection. Their president, Mark, taped a video to Sheldon saying #40 will be ready when he and Amy get there and that Leonard paid too much.

Glad to see they're taking advantage of the publicity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:00 am 

This article talks about the different Television shows that the Nevada Northern was mentioned in recently.

http://www.elynews.com/2017/03/24/nnry- ... favorites/

The real measure of this exposures impact will be the ridership numbers at the end of the year.

Robby Peartree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:25 pm 

Did anyone else notice the later episode where Sheldon admitted to Amy that he had his driver’s license (something nobody knew), and she was livid at how far she had to drive Sheldon to Ely in that other episode? Not exactly great PR, the way I saw it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next