It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 8mm of Peach Bottem Turn Table
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:53 pm 

I have about 5 min of 8mm film of the turn table at peach bottom pa . Made this about 1982 while following the abandon tracks. I would like to convert it to wma file. Only if any of you think it is rare enough to post or is this a waste of time. I guess what I am trying to say, does it have any historical value ?

Post subject: Re: 8mm of Peach Bottem Turn Table
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:11 pm 

Probably worth converting and saving, and I would think definitely worth saving 'online' in one of the free services like YouTube and posting a link here.

Even if it only shows one person a detail they weren't expecting, or were wanting to see, or even if it only interests one person in the relevant history ... it will have proven worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:00 pm 

Are you sure it was Peach Bottom? As I remember, there was a spur added to that location when the nuclear power plant was built but no turntable added there. My brother lived in Delta for a couple of years and remembers there being a turntable there. Sure, if you post it, I'm sure my brother would be interested. By the way, the Delta turntable (a cast iron Sellers) went to the St. Louis museum of transport.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm 

I believe the OP is actually over on the Lancaster County side of the Susquehanna River, at a station known as Dorsey on the Lancaster Oxford & Southern, which was originally part of the original Peach Bottom Railroad. There was a car ferry across the river, less than a mile further west, between the two Peach Bottoms. The station still stands along the road at Dorsey, and the location of the turntable and engine shed is a few hundred yards beyond on the way into Peach Bottom.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:47 pm 

Thanks all for the responses, I followed the rail spur off of the ma & pa line and the turn table was in the heart of Delta. My wife and I went to the Old Line Museum in Delta and were told that the turn table was sold. That was in 2009 or so. I am going to play the 8mm on the wall and film it with my cell phone to convert. I have found this to be the best and quickest way to convert! FWI I grew up near the m&p in Baltimore and my grandfather had a summer home near the castle finn station on muddy creek. Sometime around 1979 my friends and I made some rims for my 68 Ford Custom 4 door sedan and put it on the tracks at Brainsville station and made it all the way to Muddy Creek Forks! Still have the pictures to prove it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 pm 

Oh, so now we're in Delta, are we. I helped turn Rail Tours, Inc. steam locos No. 1251 and No. 972 there in the long ago days of my youth. Both are still with us. No. 1251 (0-6-0T, former Reading Shops switcher) on display at the Railroad Museum of Penna., while No. 972 (ex-CP 4-6-0) is across the street at the Strasburg Rail Road, awaiting the attention of the shop. In fact, I helped turn No. 972 there in late 1969, the last time a steam locomotive was turned on it. I believe it is now at the Museum of Transport in St. Louis.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:49 pm 

I'm sure the museum would love to have a copy of this to go with the turntable. It is believed to be the only surviving Sellers cast iron one in North America.