It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SP 9010 lives!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:37 pm 

Was/Is the Maybach shown carried on SP 9010 through its various lives on SP and afterward?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:21 pm 

psa188 wrote:
cood101 wrote:
I would say its lack of interest based off of being a diesel in general. I've brought it up before in other threads, but the sad fact is most "preservationists" don't seem to care about diesels. They are too new, or unexciting. Why hear a burble from an engine, when you could hear the chug and see the puffs of a steamer?

This observation might have been true in the mid-1960s, but this is 2017. In case you have not noticed, there are plenty of preserved diesels out there: witness both "Streamliners" events (Spencer and Goldburn). Witness the fact that even F40s are now in museum collections, as are SD40s and SD45s. Witness the thread on this board about AT&SF 108 being restored for service at OERM. The list goes on.

Preservationists don't care about diesels? What are you smoking?

My guess is that most railroad museums have more preserved diesels than preserved steam locomotives. Three quick examples:

Illinois Railway Museum - 45 diesels, 25 steam
NCTM - 13 diesels, 8 steam
HVRM - 5 diesels, 1 steam

Les

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:02 pm 

I'm smoking nothing. I figured people would bring up cab units as examples, or early geeps.
Tell me, where are the U33B/U33C, U36C/U36B locomotives in museums? Where are the SD35s C636s or C628s? Even the Dash 7s?

Oh joy, 2 SD40s and 2 SD40-2s in museums. While that's progress, that's barely anything out of the era I brought up (post 67) I'm mindful many are still in service. As for the F40PHs? I don't see a shining example of one, all of the ones I know of in museums are not shining examples of their collections. I'll give you SD45s, but most of them have disappeared, at least those with 20-645s.

So no, I don't think I'm high on anything to show my concern on a perceived lack of inclusiveness of 3rd generation+ diesels.

As far as I can tell for late 2nd gen-3rd gen locomotives in museums, we are missing
- C420
- C628
-C636
-SD35
-SD38
-SD39
-SDP45
-SD50
-GP39
-GP40
-GP50
-U33B
-U33C
-U36B
-U36C
-B23-7
-B30-7
-B36-7
-C30-7
-C36-7
-C32-8
-C39-8

I'll welcome any corrections to that list, but by my approximation, those are all either unrepresented, extinct, or non-displayable in the museums that may hold one.

All of these are from before 1987. 30 years or older.

I'm sorry to the 9010 guys that this has to be discussed on this joyus announcement. I, however feel this stuff needs said. Diesels aren't just 1st-2nd gen units now. I still feel many neglect that, and loop them in with the rest, for better or worse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm 

I don't think there's a lack of enthusiasm for Diesel preservation, but there are limits to the capacity of individuals and institutions to deal with equipment.

I'm glad that the effort was invested in the Krauss-Maffei, especially because of its foreign origin and unique and instructive history.

Recently I learned that the New York Fire Department once had giant semi-truck pumpers powered by Deltic engines, and that a couple survive in the hands of collectors. Why do I find myself unaccountably turned on?

Aarne Frobom
Napier Heights, Michigan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:30 pm 

cood101 wrote:
As far as I can tell for late 2nd gen-3rd gen locomotives in museums, we are missing (snip list)

(eyeroll) OK, let's go through 130 years of steam and make a list of missing steam locomotives. There's a boatload, starting off with the NYC Hudson. I'm not going to waste time itemizing each one. When you're done listing all the extinct classes of steam locomotive, compare it to the list of extinct diesels and see where we stand.

I'll grant that there are not many U-boats around, but OERM has a U25 and IRM has a BN U-something or other. In preservation-land, there are not the resources to save one of everything and many "preserved" locomotives end up being ugly rust-buckets, like the subject of this thread became while languishing in a Sacramento back lot. Fortunately, CSRM "deaccessioned" some units it couldn't care for and 9010 found a good home.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:07 pm 

Comment Deleted ... ADM IV has all the answers.........

Last edited by YeOldeEnjine on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:43 pm 

wesp wrote:
Was/Is the Maybach shown carried on SP 9010 through its various lives on SP and afterward?

Both of the engines on 9010 were in place when the front engine failed in service in 1968 and the unit was retired. However (as is common with all diesels) when repairing or overhauling the KMs at the same time SP moved the engines around interchangeably not caring which unit they originally came from. The engine they just made to work was delivered in one of the initial order of KMs that looked vaguely like F units. The front engine came out of one of the other units that like 9010 resembled a hood unit.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 pm 

For those decrying the lack of preserved diesels; be glad you are not into marine preservation where almost NOTHING gets preserved. As the size of an object increases, the ability to preserve it as an artifact (read, for most people, "a curiosity") decreases. And then those that are initially preserved fall prey to vandalism, fire, sinking, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:49 pm 

psa188 wrote:
cood101 wrote:
As far as I can tell for late 2nd gen-3rd gen locomotives in museums, we are missing (snip list)

(eyeroll) OK, let's go through 130 years of steam and make a list of missing steam locomotives. There's a boatload, starting off with the NYC Hudson. I'm not going to waste time itemizing each one. When you're done listing all the extinct classes of steam locomotive, compare it to the list of extinct diesels and see where we stand.

I'll grant that there are not many U-boats around, but OERM has a U25 and IRM has a BN U-something or other. In preservation-land, there are not the resources to save one of everything and many "preserved" locomotives end up being ugly rust-buckets, like the subject of this thread became while languishing in a Sacramento back lot. Fortunately, CSRM "deaccessioned" some units it couldn't care for and 9010 found a good home.

I believe the old adage is "those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it." I see no reason why (1) example of each class of locomotive is too much to ask for, especially when we live in an age where the coordination of doing so is more possible than ever, and the classes are uniform. A locomotive no longer has 25 different major variations based on what railroad owned it. An SD40 on the PRR is the same as one on the SP(light package aside). It can be done. We have a bunch of Big Boys, Centennials, and GG1s around.All Single class, single railroad. Yet we seem to be at an impasse regarding much larger classes, under the flag of multiple railroads. I know the "save them all" mentality doesn't work; this isn't saving them all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Aarne H. Frobom wrote:
Recently I learned that the New York Fire Department once had A giant semi-truck pumper powered by A Deltic engine, and that the Super Pumper and one of its satellite water cannon rigs survive in the hands of collectors. Why do I find myself unaccountably turned on?

Fixed the above for you.

Because you're a masochist? <:-)

The Mack/Deltic Super Pumper itself was last reported in Bay City, MI at a museum there, engine not run in decades and supposedly a spare engine unit somewhere on Long Island. Support trucks also survive in California, Connecticut and elsewhere.

There's also a Deltic-equipped ex-Royal Navy PTF boat in Worton, Md. at last report:

http://www.ptfnasty.com/ptf19.html

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 am 

Aarne and Sandy:

Several of the British Deltic diesels have been preserved and some of these have been in recent operation.
See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55

The Napier Deltic diesel engine is an opposed piston engine with three crankshafts and three cylinders arranged in a triangle arrangements.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:37 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As a Life Member of the Deltic Preservation Society, I am all too aware of the locations and conditions of all SEVEN (out of 22 production + 1 demonstrator) Deltic locomotives out there, PLUS the project to "rebuild" a "Baby Deltic" Class 23 "replica" on the frame of a Class 37..........

............ but if I ramble on for several posts on that, the thread drift will be execrable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:46 am 

David Dewey wrote:
For those decrying the lack of preserved diesels; be glad you are not into marine preservation where almost NOTHING gets preserved. As the size of an object increases, the ability to preserve it as an artifact (read, for most people, "a curiosity") decreases. And then those that are initially preserved fall prey to vandalism, fire, sinking, etc.

Not to mention long periods of lay up and if it is not a navy vessel who cares. People love the Queen Mary, I do not know why but there has been so many ships or vessels lost in the last few years. I think of the over 100 year old tugboat that south street seaport returned to her owners. Why, they care about sailing ships that have no connection to NY. Just like how the intrepid is pushing for the SS United States to not come home to NY. It's a lot like this 4-6-0 I know.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:17 pm 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
Comment Deleted ... ADM IV has all the answers.........

Only most of them, when it pertains to Deltics, and what I don't know I know where to look up and how. >;-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:23 pm 

cood101 wrote:
I see no reason why (1) example of each class of locomotive is too much to ask for, especially when we live in an age where the coordination of doing so is more possible than ever, and the classes are uniform.

Let's talk when the nationwide backlog of preserved, rusting locomotives are under cover and properly restored. It's silly to "preserve" something if it's only going to rust away.