It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: These Past 30 Days
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:31 pm 

Over the course of the last thirty days, I have been told the following via PM and email:

• As a moderator I am impulsive, act rashly and impede the function of RyPN
  • As a moderator I am slow to act, thereby impeding the function of RyPN
  • The rules and guidelines are much too strict and impede the function of RyPN
  • Are rules and guidelines are much too lax and impede the function of RyPN
  • That several people could do better, were they only given the chance
  • That four of the five people who could do better would destroy RyPN if put in control.

• As to the first two bullet points: Yes. I am both too rash, and too slow
  • As to the guidelines, there really aren't any, just leftovers from a decade ago that we sorta/kinda/maybe try to enforce
  • Whether we, the admins and moderators are doing a good, bad or indifferent job is entirely subjective.

Post subject: Re: These Past 30 Days
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 pm 

If you have people from both fringes pissed off, it sounds like you must be doing the job just about right.

Many thanks, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:54 pm 

I appreciate the work of the moderators. Thank you for keeping this forum as civil as possible under the current circumstances.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

With an apology to the Gershwins.

Reading RyPN
'neath a starry sky
Nice work if you can get it
And you can get it if you try

Reading all the fussing
Sighin' sigh after sigh
Nice work if you can get it
And you can get it if you try

Just imagine someone
Sitting by the "delete" key
Waiting for a line that's crossed
Who could ask for anything more?

I thank the ones who sit there
Getting all the flak from us
Nice work and don't regret it
Cause I get it and thanks is my reply!

Last edited by wesp on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:30 pm 

Doug,

Thanks for your hard work. You have done a wonderful job over the years. As a moderator and participant I find RYPN the most worthwhile forum for real preservation of our beloved railways.

Thanks for all you do,

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:39 pm 

Kelly Anderson has it just about perfect, if half the folks are "p'offed" and the other half are delighted you as a moderator are "Catching a Wave".

If it ever happens that "everybody" agrees with you you should always stop and ask why ???

Thanks for your volunteer efforts.

Cheers, Kevin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:16 am 

The moderation here is the best of the many railroad boards I follow. Best of all, I never see a mob dynamic develop here. Well done.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:47 am 

Thanks for all the hard work that makes RYPN a quality environment to get and share news.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 am 

Agree with all above. I try not to go to far and if I am heading that way PM me. I will try harder. Thanks for your efforts. Regards, John.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:59 am 

I personally support the moderators' decisions. My posts are very specific and to the point. My personal opinions are rather strong but my objective on RYPN is to inform the community a bit about the Pullman Library and where we can help. There are those who have a wide range of emotions about their views on railway preservation and I run into them all the time. For those few invited to our facility (we are a closely guarded archive, best we can try) the researchers realize how a few volunteers can make a difference with nothing to gain from our efforts other than the At-A-Boy I mentioned earlier. We have experience with many who do not appreciate this and may not follow through after all our efforts. I am also at fault for just being forgetful, and through trying to adhere to our guidelines! A few strong-minded verbal individuals likewise can make it difficult for all of us. Keep in mind that railroading is an adult's game for safe operation. This definitely applies to personal interactions by all. Everyone deserves our attention, support, understanding though at times it is problematic. At the museum we are lucky to have that appreciation that permits volunteers developing into amazing contributors. Restoration is measured in years, not days as Bob Bruneau of our Electric Car Department once said to me (RIP, Bob!), and I think the same applies to working with people as well. I have supported the homeless through just recognizing their worth and over the long term making use of their abilities when possible, not expecting miracles though pleased with results. I think that same thought of using worth applies to the wonderful work performed on this forum, on the assistance and insight including the opinionated, and through the efforts of many here who do not take sides.
My view, not the Library's, Ted Anderson

P. O. Box 427
Union, IL 60180

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:25 am 

When I joined the organization that I am involved with, I was very quickly put into a position where I am in charge of the motive power. What I inherited was a disaster. Years of neglect, mismanagement and even theft. I had ZERO previous railroad experience, only heavy equipment, truck and marine.

At first I was lost, and very overwhelmed. If it wasn't for this board, the information posted and more importantly the professionals in the industry that it put me in touch with, I would be lost.

I appreciate those who started, maintain and moderate RYPN. Anything in the volunteer world can be difficult. Pleasing everybody is impossible, and trying usually makes everybody else mad.

Thanks
Eric

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:56 am 

In spite of all the negativity that shows up here, I still find this one of the best rail sites on the internet. . .you're doing fine!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:11 pm 

Doug,

I am mostly a lurker here but I do think you do a great job moderating the forums.

Can never make everyone happy.

Those that are unhappy can make the choice to continue to be a part of the forum or turn to other venues for their train fix.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:14 pm 

A thankless task. There is still much value in rypn and I simply stop reading threads that devolve into posturing and opinionating. Your work is much appreciated.

- Alan Maples

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 pm 

As I was once told when promoted into supervisory positions: If you read something nasty on the crapper wall about yourself, you're doing it right.