It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1960 Photo: SP 3420 in El Paso
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:29 pm 

El Paso, TX, 1960
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dMAAAOSwa ... -l1600.jpg

This is an image from Ebay for a closed auction (thus the seller's watermark). The image
will disappear once the listing is formally closed out.

Ever since I learned of this locomotive through articles by Mr. Peartree I've been a big fan
of it. There is just a ton of potential for an El Paso railroad museum if the political will
and an organized effort ever surfaces. I remain optimistic for that day. With its new
streetcar line, this small city is showing that it is willing to try new things.

Post subject: Re: 1960 Photo: SP 3420 in El Paso
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:28 pm 

Dear rock island lines

Thank for the kind words. The photograph you linked to is interesting as the back of the Santa Fe roundhouse is seen and the union depot is still in the painted color before the restoration. It reminds me that the train number indicators and the rear headlight on it today were not on it when they removed it from display. The headlight came from the steam derrick in El Paso as a member donated a light for it. When the Derrick rolled in 1986 the headlight disappeared before nightfall. I do not know the history of the train number indicators.

While 3420 continues to sit in the copper refinery research continues on its history. A friend of mine found this piece in the Albuquerque paper.

Albuquerque Morning Journal, March 20, 1909, p. 5
03/10/09
NM4D00           WRECK
Hurt in Accident with Snow Plow-Three Railroad Men Jumped from Engine in Cut on Southwestern With Painful Results,
Alamogordo, N. M., March 16. Thinking they saw another engine ahead on the same track, Fireman H. Chanley, Carpenter H. N. Yaney and Brakeman C. W. Howard jumped from engine 171 which was pushing a snowplow through a deep cut on the El Paso & Southwestern near Duran after the big storm. Mr. Yaney had an arm broken In two places and the other two men were unconscious when picked up. All three men were brought to the hospital here.
   The snow plow was being pushed by two engines and the men in the cab of the foremost one saw an engine on an adjoining track which they thought was approaching on the main line

In 1909 3420 was 171 for the EP&SW. The area newspapers had reporters at the time that covered railroad activities. Accident reports from the time are telling and it is interesting to see how certain events were reported While they were pushing a plow the smokebox shows signs of the former plow mounts that were attached to the smokebox. While in todays world to many want to build a replica of locomotive x or y or only think steam operations were locomotives hauling passengers at break neck speeds the little teakettle sometimes have a much more fascinating history.

Robby Peartree