It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Red River & Gulf - Work Session #2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:22 am 

Work Session #2 on the Red River & Gulf is coming up. If you're in the area and want get involved in an up-and-coming tourist railroad, please give us a look.

Work Session Details

We will be clearing some brush and doing track repair on the north leg of the Switchback Wye this time. When we're done, we'll operate some of our Motor Cars on the repaired segment, as well as the rest of the railroad. We don't just work, we get to play, too.

To RSVP, please email us at: WorkSession @ RedRiverAndGulf.net (no spaces)

Red River & Gulf Railroad – RedRiverAndGulf.net
Southern Forest Heritage Museum - Long Leaf, Louisiana

RioGrandeExplorations.net

Post subject: Re: Red River & Gulf - Work Session #2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 pm 

Thanks for all those photos...can't wait to visit. Looks like a fascinating locale.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:43 pm 

Thanks, Tom.

There are a hundreds of photos on the Route Map page of the website. Click the small map and you'll get a much larger version. Click on the callout boxes, question marks, or buildings and you'll get photos and historical info.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:23 am 

Quick bump. The first "real" Work Session is this weekend. The weather looks to be good and we've got a lot to do. Come be part of the fun.

Details here: http://www.redriverandgulf.net/Work-Ses ... 70218.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:41 pm 

Really interesting and I am sure this location is documented somewhere else here. But, what is the history from end of commercial operations to museum? I don't see that on the website.

Interesting how all that equipment lasted 40 years without scrapping.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:04 pm 

I'm sure Everett can provide more information than I can and will chime in here eventually.

My understanding is that everything was largely dormant during those years. Since the town, mill, and railroad are all private property and not easily accessible, they were mostly untouched. It's truly remarkable how much is still there. But, there is a LOT of work to be done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:39 pm 

WOW !!! YOU GUYS HAVE GUTS !!!! I wouldn't try to work on any of those engines for $50/hr !!! Or the track !!! Not to mention I'm not too fond of bugs, and I bet you guys are being eaten alive, even in mid winter. In all sincerity, GOOD LUCK, you fellas sure need it.

About 20 years ago, I parked my truck just outside of the chain over the access road and no trespassing sign, and went looking for somebody to talk to. In the back of my truck was a cutting rig, a grade crossing sign, iron parts of two sugar cane cars, and a chain hoist on a trolley for loading. Eventually security spotted me, and we had a very nice talk while he was throwing me out, which took several hours.

I looked at your engines, and I must admit that I think of them often when I'm feeling sorry for myself, as I work on my own project... the 2-6-0 is real pretty, but the flake rust ate away her stack and domes til only an eggshell of lead based paint was left of them. She was at least axle deep in mud and weeds, and covered with rotten asbestos, and stripped.

A 4-6-0 sat outside, the wheels looked like pulleys, but she was better than the mogul.

Then he showed me the good engine, somebody has worked a MIRACLE with her !!! The nose was left outside the door when they shut down, so it pretty much rotted everything from the tube sheet forward. As I was shaking my head and offering my condolences, I thought I saw a kind of funny looking weld on the main drivers, near the crankpin boss, and I absent mindedly felt it. Felt it crumble, that is, as a worm of silicone caulk fell out of a broken spoke, with a blank rivet stuck inside it... Guess it fooled an inspector, once upon a time.

The general story I got was that the mill and rail line at Crowley had been on hard times for quite awhile, which led to labor disputes as there was less and less money for wages. I think they shut down in the early 60s, and if I recall, everything was just left sitting where it was when the day shift went to lunch. A strike was called, and they never went back to work. There are a few others in this forum that may be able to provide more specific historic details.

Rail equipment (or anything else) left uncovered in that soaking wet climate has a very limited life expectancy. While the slice of daily life frozen in time was fascinating to observe during my visit, the vision was fading after 30 years with no upkeep, and I saw it 20 years ago.

To make matters worse, look at the ongoing problems that nearby Texas State RR has. You Red River & Gulfers REALLY DO have some serious guts to start from the bottom in this tourist rr business climate. I feel like a lowlife for not offering to help you fellas !!!

You guys deserve a medal.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:02 pm 

The weekend was a success. Details for Work Session #3 will be released tomorrow or Wednesday.

Full Report

The Crew of Work Session #2
Left to Right
Everett - David - Bill - Dave - John - Jason - Tucker
Not pictured: Harry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:47 pm 

Hmmmm! "Through the Pines, not around them". Where have I heard a similar corporate motto before?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 pm 

WVNorthern wrote:
Hmmmm! "Through the Pines, not around them". Where have I heard a similar corporate motto before?

Most of us are Colorado Narrow Gauge fans that are marooned too far from God's Country.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm 

If any of you Red River & Gulfers come to Colorado because you love narrow gauge, etc... please let me buy you a beer !!!

You fellas are LOOKIN GOOD.

VIVA RR&G !!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:58 am 

Red River & Gulf volunteer Bill Ward worked for several years with a handful of guys to restore this great little Fairmont S2. This is his video (used with permission).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dkDV4NwepY&t=11s

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:26 pm 

I hear there's an interesting story about the contents of that scrap pile to the left of the track and engines in one of your photos. I'd like to hear the details.
Congrats on stepping up to help save the RR&G!
Best wishes for your long term success!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:01 pm 

There are lots of stories about the scrap piles, and both the existing locomotives, as well as the remains of the other various locomotives that were scrapped here in the 1950's. PM me and tell me what you would like to know about.

Everett

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm 

Hello,

I am very interested in the Ingersoll-Rand XPV steam-driven compressor shown sitting on the concrete pad in the photo at the beginning of this thread. Would someone at the museum please contact me about it?

Thanks,

Matt Janssen
mjanssen@vaporlocomotive.com
(208) 304-3454