It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Status of Heber Valley RR steam locomotives
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:50 am 

jfeldman75 wrote:
Was just wondering if anyone has any updates on the progress they're making with steamer 618? Thank you.

I'm also very interested as well, although I'm not going out to SLC for work again this year...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:46 pm 

I haven't seen any news on Heber Valley steam locomotive 618, and decided to ask if anyone has seen any recent updates. I didn't see 618 run when it last operated, and am definitely interested in visiting when it steams once again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:00 pm 

jfeldman75 wrote:
I haven't seen any news on Heber Valley steam locomotive 618, and decided to ask if anyone has seen any recent updates. I didn't see 618 run when it last operated, and am definitely interested in visiting when it steams once again.

The latest update is there are no updates. If you want updates on 618's progress, go get in contact with Heber yourself and ask them, our speculation from the outside looking in is going to get you nowhere other than just the news that publicly they aren't saying much.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:02 pm 

Last edited by Utah Josh on Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:10 pm 

Hey, excuse me for asking, given that there is always a possibility someone read something I might have missed. When I contacted the HVRR last year, I did not receive a response. I forgot how much fun it is posting on these sites.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 pm 

jfeldman75 wrote:
Hey, excuse me for asking, given that there is always a possibility someone read something I might have missed. When I contacted the HVRR last year, I did not receive a response. I forgot how much fun it is posting on these sites.

I have heard rumors from people who have visited, but it is not my place to spread rumors. I have tried that before and it didn't go over so well. Please, just ask the railroad yourself we got nothing for you unless somebody affiliated with the organization in a more official manner is willing to chime in.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:19 pm 

I respect your desire not to spread rumors. And I am honestly only interested in definitive information. I was hoping someone affiliated with them would come on and respond to my inquiry. No big deal. If I visit someday and it isn't running, then it isn't running. I would enjoy riding behind one of their GP9s nearly just as much!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:23 pm 

How many operating diesel locomotives do they have?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:33 pm 

jfeldman75 wrote:
How many operating diesel locomotives do they have?

Now that I do know the answer to! They have three GP units, and one F-unit in operation. They have in restoration an NW2, and another NW2 and an EMD MRS-1 currently both in storage and (last I heard) up for grabs for any other organization who would be willing to take them. Their former RS-4-TC was acquired recently by the Placerville and Sacramento Railroad were it is operational running trains still in its Heber livery.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:37 pm 

Neat. I didn't know they had that many locomotives. I am especially fond of the MEC GP9, and the Great Western GP9. I read somewhere that they sold or are in the process of selling the B&M GP9. Thanks for the information.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:05 pm 

I am a resident of the SLC area and I drive past the Heber Valley operation probably 2-3 times per month. I'll report some observations I've made but not draw any conclusions since I have no inside information. Within the past 1-2 months, I observed the bare cab of #618 sitting on the ground outside the shop. It appears to need substantial metal work. #618 itself is inside the shop behind other equipment and is not easily observable. Within the past 6 months when the shop door is open, I observed the bare boiler shell of #75 sitting upside-down with what appears to be firebox work semi-completed. The boiler has been in the same spot for several years. I'm not sure where the running gear for #75 is kept.

The train operates with one of three operational GP9s, ex-Great Western (exx-Union Pacific) #296, Boston & Maine #77, and Maine Central #52. (HVRR actually bought three GP9s from Pan Am Railways. #72 was the other one, but it was never delivered to Heber, it was instead resold.) The ex-VIA F9 #6300 is stored in the new passenger car building out of sight and I have not seen it in operation since it was acquired in 2019, though I understand it has been used. The entire operation has benefited significantly from the acquisition of the NRHS B.C. chapter's collection of fine passenger equipment in 2019, including the #6300, 23 coaches, and two steam generator cars, allowing much of HVRR's fleet of well-worn ex-commuter coaches (ex-Lackawanna?) to be retired.

Heber Valley recently listed some surplus equipment for sale, including MRS-1 #1863 and several passenger cars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:25 pm 

davew833 wrote:
Heber Valley recently listed some surplus equipment for sale, including MRS-1 #1863 and several passenger cars.

Was the MRS-1 purchased by anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:02 am 

The MRS-1 was still there a few weeks ago. A challenge for any buyer is that Heber Valley RR is not connected to live rail. Everything that moves in or out has to go by truck to Salt Lake City or Provo, UT. where the nearest main line is.