It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR N6b on ebay
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:42 pm 

Yellow cupola is 1960s-era PRR?

Hope to see this one find a new life. So far, sounds good.

Howard P.

Post subject: Re: PRR N6b on ebay
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:37 am 

Alexander D. Mitchell IV wrote:
IF this proposed rescue and reconstruction actually comes to pass, it will likely be the most spectacular set of "before and after" photos since the Rogers K class 2-4-2 K88 was dragged from a river in New Zealand and restored to operation.......

I've actually noticed that on many wood freight car restorations of "chicken coop" type reuses most of the original wood is discarded, especially the exterior sheathing, even if the car is completely enclosed in (rotten) wood.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

Now that this thread has evolved from a simple notice for sale to the potential preservation of an artifact such that it will continue to exist to tell its story, can this thread be moved to the interchange? What a great counterpoint to the destruction of the items by the Park Service back in late August. Please continue to post updates. Thank you.

Viva RYPN!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

Just two more shots to document that this entire car was at one point painted yellow. Yellow paint chips are visible on the ends of the car as well.

Not sure as to the visible lettering and the potential MOW number, something with an 06 perhaps.

Attachments:
sm IMG_2725.jpg
sm IMG_2725.jpg [ 193.58 KiB | Viewed 7283 times ]
sm IMG_2724.jpg
sm IMG_2724.jpg [ 255.21 KiB | Viewed 7283 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:47 pm 

Yellow paint on the sides indicate that the car was last used in Company work service, which would likely explain 981775's absence from the active roster in 1957. It would probably have carried a different maintenance number, which would account for "06" in the photo, although it seems surprising that the number on the frame was not changed.

Tom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:12 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
It made the (usually automobile-focused) "Barn Finds" car-collector website:

http://barnfinds.com/nice-caboose-penns ... r-caboose/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:55 pm 

Something interesting is about to happen with this caboose.

:)

- Christian B.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:26 pm 

I followed the link to the Wilmington & Western home page, but I could find NO mention of the PRR caboose anywherte on it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:43 pm 

> I followed the link to the Wilmington & Western home page,
> but I could find NO mention of the PRR caboose anywherte on it.

That link is on the bottom of all of Christian's postings as he is an active member there.

At this point, the caboose is not going to the W&W. We have about 4 other sites or groups that are being considered. Hoping to have a decision in the next day or so, but prep work for the move is already starting.

J.R. May

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:35 pm 

We think that we've found the MOW number for this caboose. It matches the "06" that's still visible on the north side. It appears to be 492406. The number was written on one of the interior walls, at the top, near the conductors desk. I don't know why the picture is displayed sideways. If I rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, it still appears sideways, but the other way around.
Attachment:
MOW Number.jpg
MOW Number.jpg [ 145.01 KiB | Viewed 6965 times ]

We had a great work day with Chris, JR, Ed Rizzo, Karl Smith and myself. We cleared most of the interior, removed all the doors, all the interior metal pieces, the whole ice box, and some of the exterior metal. All the pieces are in secure storage. The east end wall was removed. Chris bravely worked in the cupola.

The owner, Bob, allowed us access to the house, power and the use of the dumpster. We could not have had a more accommodating host.

A representative of a group who could accept the parts and recreate the caboose inspected it and said that he liked what he saw. We'll see if they decide to take it. Several possible destinations exist. We'll have to see how this plays out.

We plan to meet again next week to take down the rest of the cupola and the remaining walls.