It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RRMofPA Rails'n'Ales, Strasburg wine & cheese train and more
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:48 pm 

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania's second annual Rails'n'Ales event has come and gone. Building upon the success of the debut event, this year's fest saw an improved floor plan, quite a few new brewers and an expanded food truck courtyard. The event is very well run. Wandering through the displays while discovering new lagers, ales and ciders was great fun. I don't know if there will be a third Rails'n'Ales next year, but if there is I strongly recommend it.

The event ran 6:30-10:30pm, with VIP passes required for the first hour. The VIP tix were sold out by the time I booked, so we could not enter until 7:30pm when the regular tickets became valid. That opened the door to a nice pre-game experience across the street on the Strasburg Rail Road. The 6pm wine & cheese train would get us back in plenty of time to get in line for the Rails'n'Ales. We rode in the "President's" car which is a classic observation car once used by the president of the Reading Railroad. It's wonderfully original with an open platform, lounge area and private rooms. We settled into a private room for two and were treated to local wines and cheeses throughout the trip - all included in the ticket price. I highly recommend it.

Carrying the beer and trains theme forward, on May 4th there will be a fundraiser at Susquehanna Brewing Co. in Pittston, PA for the ongoing restoration of Boston & Maine #3713 at the Steamtown National Historic Site. Details and tickets at: http://www.project3713.com/spring-mixer ... ay-4-2017/

Connecting different passions in ways that support historic preservation is a booming area of fundraising right now. The marriage of craft beer and a love of trains is a winner.

Rob