It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monson #3 money troubles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:41 pm 

Not a happy tale from Maine:

http://www.srrl-rr.org/news/money_troubles.htm

The SR&RL team have revealed a lot more info about the situation than similar groups with similar issues have.

Please don't use this thread to whip them.

Rob

Post subject: Re: Monson #3 money troubles
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:24 pm 

Why would we whip them? They are being very honest. They describe their need, state the work has been done to date, and explain why the project has run over-budget. They provide a link to photos of the work in progress, even a short statement of where their income comes from. It is all topped off by a link so one can make a donation via PayPal.

All-in-all, this direct approach is very refreshing.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:07 am 

Admittedly I did not read through the entire article/website, when was this boiler built? They spoke of needing to do an asbestos abatement which is a bit surprising as the boiler is of welded construction. Just curious....

Cheers, Jason

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am 

Jason,

I believe I remember reading that some of the Edaville engines received new welded boilers in the 1960s, which would comport with the use of asbestos boiler insulation.

David

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:37 am 

Not all bad news. The good news is the outcome will provide them with a locomotive that will give them a lot of service before any additional intensive boiler work is required. Don't make the mistake of looking at only intital cost, but consider the lifetime benefit of making everything as good as possible when you have the opportunity to do so.

So, it takes more money and raising that will take more time. This investment will reap dividends in the years to come.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:18 am 

wilkinsd wrote:
Why would we whip them?
There is a sad habit on the Interwebs of "eating our own." I was bracing for that.

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:58 am 

Some of ours deserve to be eaten. These guys aren't among them.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:01 pm 

Would it be alright send a check for a smaller amount. I dislike paying credit card fees.
Al

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:36 pm 

There is an address under the paypal button to send checks to.

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 pm 

I missed it thank you.
Al

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:26 pm 

These guys deserve a cookie. I can think of plenty of projects that have this exact same criteria that just drop off the earth because of there own issues. This group should get alot of credit for this page, and hopefully it brings them the needed sources.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:21 pm 

After many years of work and financial investment in Monson 3, the SR&RL group has not been able to use the engine as earlier agreed. As a result we have the news that they are suing the Maine Narrow Gauge group for reimbursement of $144,000.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/09/11/sandy-river-rangeley-lakes-railroad-sues-portland-rail-museum-over-investment-in-steam-locomotive/

Last edited by o anderson on Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:04 pm 

o anderson wrote:
After many years of work and financial investment in Monson 3, the SR&RL group has not been able to use the engine as earlier agreed. As a result we have the news that they are suing the Maine Narrow Gauge group for reimbursement of $144,000.

Lhttps://www.sunjournal.com/2019/09/11/sandy-river-rangeley-lakes-railroad-sues-portland-rail-museum-over-investment-in-steam-locomotive/

Well this certainly isn't what I wanted to see... I had heard some rumblings of something going on though, I guess this was it. But would leaky tubes even count as negligence? I would think a leaking tube could be a problem on any locomotive regardless of age or time since overhaul. And wouldn't Maine Narrow Gauge have to be able to prove negligence on the part of the Sandy River gang? If a leaking tube is all that they've got, it feels somewhat shaky to me...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 am 

Hi
It has been a while and I have been wondering has any more information been in the Maine newspapers on the current Pending Law Suit, dealing with the Monson # 3 which belongs to the Maine Narrow Gauge in Portland, Maine, & the Sandy River RR, in Phillip's, Maine.
The last post I saw about this, was in Sept of this year, on RYPN, and there have been no more posts since then.

I had to find the original thread, in order to post, Thanks, Pat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:12 pm 

Pat Fahey wrote:
Hi
It has been a while and I have been wondering has any more information been in the Maine newspapers on the current Pending Law Suit, dealing with the Monson # 3 which belongs to the Maine Narrow Gauge in Portland, Maine, & the Sandy River RR, in Phillip's, Maine.
The last post I saw about this, was in Sept of this year, on RYPN, and there have been no more posts since then.

I had to find the original thread, in order to post, Thanks, Pat.

Well, one thing I do know is that since this first came out, the WW&F (where the engine was being used on loan from the museum) stopped using #3 altogether. There were quite a few weekends where #3 and their own loco were in service together, on work trains or for special events. Since this came out, #3 hasn't been used, to my knowledge, from what I've seen in Facebook posts.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life