It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Progress on 1309?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 am 

What this reminds me of (and I have no place to speak, but who cares) it reminds of of GSMR about the time they acquired 722.

Now this is not to bad mouth them, they have done fantastic things of late and the future of 1702 looks very bright and one can hope the same for 722. GSMR has done amazing things of late, harkening back to the days when the McNeils were running things. Full trains, long trains, steam all the time, and well maintained engines and rolling stock. Well done.

Anyways, it was rumored and promised that 722 would be restored, 1702 would have her 1472 done and turntables installed all over. Both engines were striped when funding ran out. The official word I have yet to hear. But I have often thought back to that when discussing 1309. Many promises, and speculation and only to have them broken and disappointed railfans and investors.

As Mr. Rowland has said, our only hope is to send a small (or large) donation and hope and pray that it is used frugally to further the rebuild and get it back out.

WSMR is a fantastic operation and even better ride and I would hate for them to lose the allure of steam.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:19 am 

http://www.times-news.com/news/local_ne ... 5ee85.html

CUMBERLAND — Western Maryland Scenic Railroad officials have ordered a halt to their troubled effort to repair a steam locomotive and return it to service.

The online railroad industry magazine Trains.com, published a story Friday that said the scenic railroad had run out of funds to continue the restoration of the steam engine. Railroad officials were trying to restore the Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 steam locomotive No. 1309..........

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:32 am 

We sure love eating our own...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:54 am 

YeOldeEnjine wrote:
http://www.times-news.com/news/local_news/railroad-halts-effort-to-restore-engine-restore-locomotive/article_0c67c996-5007-5f53-a99e-6ec519a5ee85.html

CUMBERLAND — Western Maryland Scenic Railroad officials have ordered a halt to their troubled effort to repair a steam locomotive and return it to service.

The online railroad industry magazine Trains.com, published a story Friday that said the scenic railroad had run out of funds to continue the restoration of the steam engine. Railroad officials were trying to restore the Chesapeake & Ohio 2-6-6-2 steam locomotive No. 1309..........

Thanks for posting, but I didn't know Trains Mag was just an on line magazine or diesels (usually) push trains !!!!

Nothing like doing some fact checking by the 'professional' press.

Bob H

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 pm 

"Which it will be ready, when it is done!" - Steward Killick, from Patrick O'brien's "Master and Commander series.

Last edited by Richard Glueck on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:55 pm 

If they can pull this together it will certainly be worth whatever it costs ! Many of us have experienced our own money pits; house, classic car, etc. Let's not give up on this one yet.

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:29 pm 

I don't think anyone is suggesting giving up on finishing the job and getting the 1309 back in steam. It appears that the current management remains committed to the end goal and will be working on raising the funds needed to get there.

Even with the missteps involved here it's still light years better than the complete management meltdown experienced by the ill fated K4 project.

Let's all hope that eventually it will have a happy ending.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm 

Is 1309 on the register of historic places? That would free up some funds that can help with her restoration.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:54 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
JayZee wrote:
Is 1309 on the register of historic places? That would free up some funds that can help with her restoration.

From where, pray tell? What "funds" gets "freed up" from where?

I have extensive experience with the National Register from working with county governments to place structures (primarily covered bridges and stations) on the National Register.

My first order of business is almost always to tell the enthusiastic supporters of the idea that IT'S NO MAGIC BULLET. A structure or site's presence on the National Register does NOTHING WHATSOEVER to make Mr. Moneybags show up with oodles of cash OR to prevent a structure's demolition. It simply gives you a myriad of steps you have to go through in order to demolish it. It might become eligible for state or Federal grants (that have to be applied for), or pre-qualify to contend for many private grants (ditto), and it helps to elevate status so that more people may contribute, but it can still go away.

Further, rebuilding a historic object past a certain degree can well affect its NR status.

Having said that, sister 2-6-6-2 1308 does happen to be on the NR, one of about 65 or so locomotives on the NR..............

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:40 pm 

Everyone needs to remember one thing about when she was retired all those years ago. Steam was being retired and engines were basically being run until tube times were expired and then scrapped or the lucky few donated. The railroads did not care what shape engines were in especially at the end of steam for them a locomotive is a tool to be used at when worn out replaced. They do the same thing with current engines today. They look at what an engine costs to repair to see if it is worth fixing or just get rid of it. So way back in the 40's and 50's when steam was being retired the shops would do minimal repairs to keep them running and just send them out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:50 pm 

You're right about the end days. Picture it like this. You're driving an older car and are going to trade it in on a new one. I'm sure you'll put new tires on it paint it, overhaul the engine and transmission before you let the dealer have it.
That analogy usually gets the point across. There are damned few display engines that are in tip top shape, came out of the shop and stuffed/mounted. Maybe on the NKP. I know of one Frisco Nothern, the 4500 that had very low time on an overhaul but most engines were ridden hard and put away wet. Add to that sitting in the weather for decades.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:54 pm 

Frisco your so right on the trade in. My wife and I are getting ready to trade in our car in a couple months right about tax time called need the refund for the down payment. Well I have a choice to make with the current one it could use a few repairs things like a door switch for the power windows on the drivers door new lift cylinders for the rear hatch and a couple other items. Or I can just spend 30 bucks change the oil one last time and run it. Since the thing is 12 years old I know I am going to get hosed on any trade in since I have 3 kids that are hard on the interior.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:35 pm 

We have a new video on the 1309, its progress and costs.

Unfortunately for some, it's on Facebook, but I think it's a public page, you should be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/WMSRailroad/vi ... tion=group

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:02 pm 

Since the $530,000 figure was mentioned in their press release on September 13th, apparently no money has been raised in the last 3 months. At this stage of the game, would reassembling the locomotive and putting it on display be a viable option?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

Looks like they are gearing up for and ask to the 2018 session of the Maryland General Assembly.

Wesley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next