It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Union Pacific 407
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:56 pm 

Here is a new locomotive to discuss...

http://www.rgusrail.com/neup407.html

I got to see this locomotive back in December. It still has the asbestos, and a sizeable amount of the jacketing is eaten through... The jacket around the cylinders is probably 50% eaten through on both sides. The cab is rotting badly, and some the tender is rotted through. Also glass is shattered on the engineers side, looks like someone through a large rock through it.

Has anyone ever considered restoring it? It looks pretty neglected. It probably can't pull much either...

Thanks,
Cody Muse

Post subject: Re: Union Pacific 407
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:03 am 

Don't rule out the condition of a display locomotive if it has been well sealed since the last operation. Jacketing is merely sheet metal, and pipes are easily replaced. The two biggest issues I see here are asbestos lagging and blatant vandalism. This display needs a group to raise money for abatement and to determine a future for the equipment, whether it remains where it is today, or if it's transferred to a preservation environment. None of this is cheap or easy, but it is always possible to approach the problem.
My opinion is, 0-6-0's are darned good pullers of short trains. Don't write off the locomotive quite yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:08 am 

See that's what I would like to do, start some sort of preservation group to remove the asbestos, and just overall fix it up...

As for the sheet metal and pipes, I agree 100%. It can be replaced in due time... But for now the asbestos is what needs to be the main priority.

The only issue is, I have no clue who owns it... I would think the town of Sidney, but no one seems to know. For a fact a few people I have showed my photos to didn't even know it was their.

Thanks for the reply,
Cody Muse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:05 pm 

If it's in a city park, the city most likely owns it. Start with the parks and recreation department or DPW. Make friends wherever you can. Whoever maintains the park probably has some responsibility for the display. Judging by a quick glance at the website link, she probably has had at least one paint job since being put on display in the late 50s or early 60s. Asbestos abatement will not be cheap so tread lightly as you start to make contacts within city government. If it hasn't been abated yet, you will probably not get a very warm reception unless the right people are in power. Certainly more than one or two people know about the hazard but are probably hoping no one makes a huge case about it. Very few municipalities have the finances to remediate the stuff by the book.

Keep us posted on your progress. Look for other park locomotive success stories and make contact with those cities to see how they got it done.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:48 pm 

The locomotive was donated to the Cheyenne County Historical Association in 1956. Another source lists it as the Cheyenne County Historical Society & Museum but they both have the same address at:

544 Jackson Street
P.O. Box 596
Sidney, NE 69162

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:52 pm 

There's another U.P. 2-8-0 in North Platte, in the heart of town, in immaculate condition.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:08 am 

Thanks for all the replies! This is definatly an engine of my liking... I would love to be able to make it look a little more "pretty". This has given me a place to start, who knows maybe I will own it one day... (Yeah, right)

The 480 in North Platte is in great shape cosmetically, IMHO!

One of the biggest things I think it needs is the asbestos removed, but as stated above it takes $$$$ and a good chunk of it for that matter.

Thanks again for the replies,
Cody Muse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:31 am 

Allow me to reiterate the advice regarding the dreaded "A" word. It's a sensitive issue, and some people have no understanding of the matter. A typical cheap fix is to shoot the holes with urethane foam, which is not a good fix. Draw up a whole plan for repairing and securing the locomotive. Make asbestos part of the plan, but include replacement of the jacketing with exact copies. Expect to blow about $50,000 on abatement. Make an itemized budget for your plans. Include everything you could get donated, including services. Show your competence to be part of a group with intelligence and skills. Don't make it a bunch of enthusiastic teens and students. Include people from a variety of backgrounds and professions. Bring some women into your mix, to show why it matters to an inclusive part of the community. You will not get city or town money, and brownie bakes won't fund it. Publicly supporter barbecues will drum up community interest and support. Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts might be called upon to pick up litter and groom the plinth. Don't get them on the locomotive. Get press coverage for your hands on efforts. Make certain the town knows you've secured agreements to have these groups work with you, once the town gives permission.

You've got a good, solid restoration project and a path to raise awareness and support. Let us know how you pursue this, if you do pursue it. Unless we take the first steps, the lions share of responsibility, people who haven't a clue will step in, without guidance of skill. Good luck