It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Up for sale Former LIRR/SEPTA cab units
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:57 pm 

airforcerail wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:
That is a loss. Technically, an SP&S unit is going. Scrapper wouldn't consider selling it for the scrap value, based on museum value?

He knows they are historic and is willing to sell them, but wants 20k a unit. And if they are purchased, they would need to leave ASAP according to SEPTA.

I think he is looking for you to make an offer, that is how those guys operate, playing hard to get. You're probably frustrated, but I'll bet he'll take a lot less than $20k for the FA. Someone on here could probably tell you the scrap value within a few hundred dollars, but I would bet it is less than half of $20k.

Sure is a pity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:44 pm 

junior wrote:
Is that one of their brand new Silverliner V's already in a scrap pile?

No, that's the Silverliner V mock-up SEPTA used for publicity purposes, basically its just a shell. Looks like SEPTA has put it with the old Comet I bodies in their Midvale bus depot's back-lot (apparently SEPTA plans to reef them).

http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTD080910.html
http://www.trainweb.org/phillynrhs/RPOTD081002.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:26 pm 

junior wrote:
Is that one of their brand new Silverliner V's already in a scrap pile?

They gave up their trucks to be used as shop trucks when the Silverliner V's were all taken out of service for equilizer beam cracks.
The SL V shell was used for parts including part of the roof to repair a car that was damaged when the pantagraph was ripped off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:41 pm 

PMC wrote:
airforcerail wrote:
Richard Glueck wrote:
That is a loss. Technically, an SP&S unit is going. Scrapper wouldn't consider selling it for the scrap value, based on museum value?

He knows they are historic and is willing to sell them, but wants 20k a unit. And if they are purchased, they would need to leave ASAP according to SEPTA.

I think he is looking for you to make an offer, that is how those guys operate, playing hard to get. You're probably frustrated, but I'll bet he'll take a lot less than $20k for the FA. Someone on here could probably tell you the scrap value within a few hundred dollars, but I would bet it is less than half of $20k.

Sure is a pity.

Yes, definitely a pity. Making offers is how we got to the 20k. He wanted way more at first. We even knew what he paid!

Oh well. With many long term projects finally coming to be, we just can't currently justify the capital investment to save them. It can be hard to be preservation minded and a responsible business at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 pm 

interesting that the reporting marks VGNX come back to
EASTERN VIRGINIA RAILROAD HISTORICAL SOCIETY based in Norfolk. Those reporting marks were applied 6 months ago?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:11 pm 

I do hope someone gets pictures as they're cut up. Sad as it may be, it tells the story.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:03 pm 

airforcerail wrote:

Yes, definitely a pity. Making offers is how we got to the 20k. He wanted way more at first. We even knew what he paid!

Oh well. With many long term projects finally coming to be, we just can't currently justify the capital investment to save them. It can be hard to be preservation minded and a responsible business at the same time.

Weird, usually those guys are "all about the money" and he won't get more than $10k for the cab units. Maybe he is unaware that there are no traction motors or radiators and therefore no copper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:26 pm 

PMC wrote:
airforcerail wrote:

Weird, usually those guys are "all about the money" and he won't get more than $10k for the cab units. Maybe he is unaware that there are no traction motors or radiators and therefore no copper.

But... he apparently knows foamers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:22 pm 

I was just informed, the F7a was cut up yesterday, the FA1 goes tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:02 pm 

Saw the pictures of the F cut up today. Not a pretty sight...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:47 pm 

Good News!!! The Alco FA was purchased by a private individual at last minute and saved. It needs further brake work however before it can be moved off SEPTA property. I look forward to hearing more optimistic updates like this in the future.

Cameron

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:49 pm 

"Good News!!! The Alco FA was purchased by a private individual at last minute and saved. It needs further brake work however before it can be moved off SEPTA property. I look forward to hearing more optimistic updates like this in the future.

Cameron"

Any idea where it is headed?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:16 pm 

superheater wrote:
"Good News!!! The Alco FA was purchased by a private individual at last minute and saved. It needs further brake work however before it can be moved off SEPTA property. I look forward to hearing more optimistic updates like this in the future.

Cameron"

Any idea where it is headed?

No info yet, here's the same news from railroad.net

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 4&start=15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:27 pm 

That's awesome!

I hope maybe me posting it here and getting the word out helped with at least one getting saved.

It's a shame that the F unit had to go, but at least it sounds like the FA unit will have a good home.

The brake work should be repairing all the damage from pulling the PTC gear out. SEPTA was going to remove it before we got them, but then when they realized how much trouble would go into putting the brakes back together again they were going to leave it in place. I guarantee once it was going to the scrap line they ripped it all out. Still should just be repairing some plumbing.

All of us originally involved with trying to save them are very happy to hear that it's going to have more life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:18 pm 

Wow, terrific, hopefully the save will be verified. I was sort of afraid to come on here the past few days because I was sure I would see photos of it cut to pieces. If it has been saved we'll find out later what the rescuer wants to do with it, but not scrapped is always better than scrapped (perhaps that is the railroad preservation Hippocratic oath, "do no harm" is fine).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next