It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:54 pm 

Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Posts: 119
1 . What size/capacity 2 axel freight car truck do I need to rest one end of an SD40-2 on ?
2 . What size center bearing adapter do I need to make for this shop truck for the above locomotive ?
3 . Do I use wood or steel blocks to replace the shop truck springs ?
All suggestions will be much appreciated .
Thanks.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:11 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 262
Aside from one former Amtrak SDP40-2 I can't recall any SD40-2s in preservation, so I wonder if anyone here would know the answer. It should probably be the same for SD45s, which shared the frame and many other components, and a few of which are in preservation.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 am 

Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm
Posts: 4
PMC wrote:
Aside from one former Amtrak SDP40-2 I can't recall any SD40-2s in preservation, so I wonder if anyone here would know the answer. It should probably be the same for SD45s, which shared the frame and many other components, and a few of which are in preservation.

IRM, California State Railroad Museum, Boone & Scenic Valley, Monticello Railway Museum and Minnesota Transportation Museum all have preserved SD40-2's variants. Would be a good starting point.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:01 am 

Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:41 am
Posts: 2844
Location: Inwood, W.Va.
Don't know if this would apply, but here is a photo of C&O 1309 in the shop at Ridgeley, W.Va., with a shop truck substituting for the front engine. Not visible is the drawbar from the truck to the hinge pin location on the rear engine to keep the two together in movements around the shop.


https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=59787334


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:48 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 262
coborn35 wrote:
PMC wrote:
Aside from one former Amtrak SDP40-2 I can't recall any SD40-2s in preservation, so I wonder if anyone here would know the answer. It should probably be the same for SD45s, which shared the frame and many other components, and a few of which are in preservation.

IRM, California State Railroad Museum, Boone & Scenic Valley, Monticello Railway Museum and Minnesota Transportation Museum all have preserved SD40-2's variants. Would be a good starting point.


All of those are (20 cylinder) SD45s except Boone's ex-SP SD40-T2, but again, the frames were the same I believe. IRM has an ex-Wisconsin Central SD45, MTM has an ex-GN SD45, CRM has an ex-SP SD45-T2.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:57 pm 

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:12 pm
Posts: 72
PMC wrote:
coborn35 wrote:
PMC wrote:
Aside from one former Amtrak SDP40-2 I can't recall any SD40-2s in preservation, so I wonder if anyone here would know the answer. It should probably be the same for SD45s, which shared the frame and many other components, and a few of which are in preservation.

IRM, California State Railroad Museum, Boone & Scenic Valley, Monticello Railway Museum and Minnesota Transportation Museum all have preserved SD40-2's variants. Would be a good starting point.


All of those are (20 cylinder) SD45s except Boone's ex-SP SD40-T2, but again, the frames were the same I believe. IRM has an ex-Wisconsin Central SD45, MTM has an ex-GN SD45, CRM has an ex-SP SD45-T2.

I could have sworn IRM had the SD40-2 CNW 6847; which was donated by the Union Pacific in 2009


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:23 pm 

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 10:22 am
Posts: 409
The SD45 at MTM belongs to GNRHS, MTM has a SDP40.

The Lake Superior Museum in Duluth, MN has a ex-WC, ex-BN, ex-NP SD45.

Note: The GNRHS SD45 (ex-GN 400 Hustle Muscle) recently acquired a 3 piece crankshaft :-(

As far as the shop truck goes, my 1st question is how far are you planning to move the locomotive on the shop truck? If it's just around the shop, a freight car truck and some oak with a few tie bolts would be fine.

-Hudson


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:54 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 262
hullmat991 wrote:
I could have sworn IRM had the SD40-2 CNW 6847; which was donated by the Union Pacific in 2009


I don't see it, is that one of those that is promised once it is retired: http://www.irm.org/roster/diesel.html

It would be surprising that so few SD40-2s are in preservation given how popular they were, but that also explains why so few are retired. I really hope that an ex-DRGW SD40T-2 is saved, it was the backbone of their fleet for 20 years, and just about all I saw when I lived next to the Rio Grande in the early 90s.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:13 am 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:28 am
Posts: 2391
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
PMC wrote:
hullmat991 wrote:
I could have sworn IRM had the SD40-2 CNW 6847; which was donated by the Union Pacific in 2009


I don't see it, is that one of those that is promised once it is retired: http://www.irm.org/roster/diesel.html

It would be surprising that so few SD40-2s are in preservation given how popular they were, but that also explains why so few are retired. I really hope that an ex-DRGW SD40T-2 is saved, it was the backbone of their fleet for 20 years, and just about all I saw when I lived next to the Rio Grande in the early 90s.


The roster is a bit out of date, but IRM DOES HAVE A SD40-2. In fact, there are a lot of photos of it on the site.

http://www.irm.org/gallery/dieseldays2009/adm

http://www2.irm.org/blogs/archives/1988-CNW-Night-Photo-Session-on-May-20th,-2017.html

The Utah State Railway Museum has a Rio Grande SD40T-2, 5371 on display at a Ogden Union Station

_________________
David M. Wilkins

Once told I was not good at public outreach.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:56 am 

Joined: Sun May 12, 2013 2:46 pm
Posts: 119
Thank You All for you knowledgeable suggestions . Most of my questions have now been answered including where the engine may be . The answers are :
#1. A 70 ,100 or 125 ton truck will work just fine. Preferably with 36" wheels and roller bearings.
#2. I still need to research on the size and height of the center bearing and side bearings.
#3. Steel or wood blocks to replace the springs on the 70 ton truck, not necessary on the 100 or 125 ton trucks.
Thank you all again including the call from Sacramento .

Mark Secco
Crane Safety and Training
Illinois Railway Museum


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am 

Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:34 pm
Posts: 4
PMC wrote:
coborn35 wrote:
PMC wrote:
Aside from one former Amtrak SDP40-2 I can't recall any SD40-2s in preservation, so I wonder if anyone here would know the answer. It should probably be the same for SD45s, which shared the frame and many other components, and a few of which are in preservation.

IRM, California State Railroad Museum, Boone & Scenic Valley, Monticello Railway Museum and Minnesota Transportation Museum all have preserved SD40-2's variants. Would be a good starting point.


All of those are (20 cylinder) SD45s except Boone's ex-SP SD40-T2, but again, the frames were the same I believe. IRM has an ex-Wisconsin Central SD45, MTM has an ex-GN SD45, CRM has an ex-SP SD45-T2.


Sorry... but no. IRM has has the C&NW SD40-2 #6847, CRM I was mistaken, I meant the RailGiants Museum which has UP SD40-2 #3015, Boone and Scenic Valley has the UP SD40T-2 #2921, Monticello has the IC SD40 #6071, and the MTM has the BN SDP40 #325. The GN SD45 #400 is owned by the GNRHS FYI. There are a number of SD45's in preservation, just not these ones.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:27 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 262
coborn35 wrote:

Sorry... but no. IRM has has the C&NW SD40-2 #6847, CRM I was mistaken, I meant the RailGiants Museum which has UP SD40-2 #3015, Boone and Scenic Valley has the UP SD40T-2 #2921, Monticello has the IC SD40 #6071, and the MTM has the BN SDP40 #325. The GN SD45 #400 is owned by the GNRHS FYI. There are a number of SD45's in preservation, just not these ones.


The OP was not interested in the model designations of units in museums, he wants to know the correct center pivot size and weight capability so he can build a shop truck. The SD45 and SD40-2 used the same frame, the straight SD40 and the SD40-2 did not, so knowing where straight SD40s are saved won't help him. But he has found the answer and so the matter is closed.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:46 pm 

Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:15 am
Posts: 425
For what it is worth, this is what Amtrak/Penn Central used as shop trucks when working on the FL-9s in New Haven, Ct (EMD, 567-16, 1750 HP, B front truck, A1A rear truck, ~287,000 lbs [87,000 lbs lighter than SD-45]). A FL-9 was a F-9 with 16 feet added to the tail for Steam Generator and 3rd rail equipment.
Attachment:
F-213 Trucks.jpg
F-213 Trucks.jpg [ 133.59 KiB | Viewed 489 times ]

If you can't read it in the photo, the trucks are marked AAR-B 304 V-11410-A Might be 204 hard to tell. I forget if the risers were to give the crew working space over the concrete floor or to keep OSHA happy. Back in the New Haven days it was a cone and jack poles to support the locomotive (see the second photo)
Attachment:
NYNHH F-213 Cedar Hill 2-1-70 sm b.jpg
NYNHH F-213 Cedar Hill 2-1-70 sm b.jpg [ 66.88 KiB | Viewed 489 times ]

Regards,
Rich Cizik
Ct Eastern RR Museum
Willimantic, Ct 06226
http://www.cteastrrmuseum.org


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 4:50 pm 

Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:50 pm
Posts: 1954
Location: Northern Illinois
PMC wrote:

The OP was not interested in the model designations of units in museums, he wants to know the correct center pivot size and weight capability so he can build a shop truck. The SD45 and SD40-2 used the same frame, the straight SD40 and the SD40-2 did not, so knowing where straight SD40s are saved won't help him. But he has found the answer and so the matter is closed.


Except it's not closed... as Marco says above: "#2. I still need to research on the size and height of the center bearing and side bearings."

Anybody have a drawing of the body bolster center bowl for an SD40-2?

_________________
Dennis Storzek


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Making a heavy duty shop truck. Need advice !
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:16 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:55 pm
Posts: 262
This is the best I could come up with on the net, an article about the HTC truck with a drawing that doesn't give dimensions: http://utahrails.net/loconotes/EMD_HTC- ... h-1972.pdf

I found a discussion of the HTC truck elsewhere, this is probably not news, but it will matter if the unit was equipped with the older Flexicoil truck (as some were late in the run, by Conrail for example, when the HTC truck had unexplained problems with derailments):

"Flexicoil 3-axle trucks were used by EMD up-through the SD40-45 model; HTC was used starting with the Dash-2 line...The HTC truck was introduced by EMD in 1970...The HTC also had a larger diameter center bowl in the bolster casting, and the center plate welded to the bottom of the underframe was also larger. This gave better distribution of forces. Also the primary reason why nobody ever retrofitted an HTC truck to an older unit built with Flexicoils."

That's the best I can do, you would think there would be a spec sheet out there but if there is I can't find it.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


 Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], isaksenj and 23 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: