It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam in San Antone
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 am 

Here's a steam restoration that seems to be flying under the radar. I knew the Texas Transportation Museum was restoring their little 0-4-0T to operation but didn't realize they were this far along. Couple of neat videos, one showing a tankless restoration and the other providing an uplifting experience.

http://www.txtransportationmuseum.org/c ... motive.php

Post subject: Re: Steam in San Antone
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:22 am 

I was a member of this museum back in the early 90's when my parents lived in San Antonio. I remember that one of the mechanical folks kept a couple of key parts to this loco in his car trunk to keep other members from firing up the locomotive and running it. At one time, there were plans to extend their track through a utility easement about 2 miles to a city park. It was never done, even though there the museum had stockpiled enough rail from the trackage at Fort Sam Houston to build the line.

There were also some folks there who wanted to restore #6 and run it on the remnants of the old SA&AP/SP Kerrville Branch.

Good to see this loco finally operational again. I wish I was closer, this is a neat little museum. I did get to run the 44 tonner; and had lots of cab rides in it and the Baldwin switcher.