It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PPE Lighting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:29 pm 

Last edited by superheater on Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PPE Lighting
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 pm 

Not a bad idea to me, but it really seems like they missed the mark by not adding a couple of very cheap components that would limit voltage to the LED to allow the light to operate on either the 3 C-cells, a 6V brick, or a 4 cell insert, allowing an easier change over or choice by the end user, who probably already keeps an inventory of 6Vs. Also seems like the 3 cell insert drastically limits lifespan capacity vs. the traditional 6V.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:12 am 

Wouldn't it be great if they also offered a rechargeable version that dispensed entirely with wasteful one time use batteries. Over time the higher first cost would be mitigated by the elimination of purchasing and stocking 6V batteries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:33 am 

Where I work, there isn't a 6v cell lantern to be seen. All the trainmen carry smaller diameter, lightweight lanterns. I think they do use "C" cells. It's a wonder they're not "AA" size.

We did use to have rechargeable 6 volt batteries and the company provided the men "at home" chargers as well as a "bank" charger for multiple cells at the yard office.

Those disappeared years ago.

I remember the days when it was throw-away 6v cells in tin lanterns with exposed bulbs... and they rationed the bulbs. Those lanterns couldn't throw light any farther than I could throw a rock, and the bulbs were always in danger of being broken while in use switching.
Plus, the chance of finding a official with a box of replacement bulbs to fix your broken bulb was near zero. Bulbs were a rare commodity in our yard office. I'd say they're only available online in this day and age.

The thing to do was dig through their desks when they were away from their office and grab any bulbs. I've still got a few boxes of them out in my garage, along with some brand new-old-stock tin Congers, I filched back in 1979.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:05 pm 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Wouldn't it be great if they also offered a rechargeable version that dispensed entirely with wasteful one time use batteries. Over time the higher first cost would be mitigated by the elimination of purchasing and stocking 6V batteries.

They do, Rick.

https://www.star1889.com/railroad-light ... le-battery