It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parting Out A Cummins (H-6 or HR-6) Diesel Engine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:49 pm 

[NOTE: This is totally unofficial, I'm only posting this to put out feelers that I can then pass on to the higher ups for their consideration.]

We've got a busted up Cummins diesel engine that came out of a Whitcomb centercab that's sitting around, taking up space. Lately we've been tossing around the idea of hauling it off for scrap but first I thought we should do our due diligence and see if anyone would like to pick at the carcass.

Now I don't know if there are actually any good parts left in this thing or not, but if it is a rare engine, and can possibly help another outfit, I figured it's worth asking.

Also, does anyone recognize what type of Cummins engine it is? I looked around it but couldn't see any info or dataplates etc. on the sides that I could get at.

[EDIT: Waiting to verify if the engine is an H-6 or an HR-6 engine]

Attachments:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 199.87 KiB | Viewed 8914 times ]
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 174.02 KiB | Viewed 8914 times ]
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 201.75 KiB | Viewed 8914 times ]

Last edited by joe6167 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Parting Out A Cummins Diesel Engine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:53 pm 

A few more photos.

Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 177.95 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]
5.jpg
5.jpg [ 182.88 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]
6.jpg
6.jpg [ 200.79 KiB | Viewed 8908 times ]

Post subject: Re: Parting Out A Cummins Diesel Engine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:21 pm 

Appears to be an H-6 model. Probably, the tag is on the front gear case that is facing downward in the photos. It would be on the side of the case towards the top, an aluminum or brass plate with a Cummins logo and model designation, perhaps the serial number. The giveaway as to the model is that both the intake and exhaust are on the same side plus the overall appearance of the engine. As for what may be of value to other preservation groups, if the engine was modernized with PT fuel injection, the adapter between the gear case the pump has value as does the aux. drive on the opposite side. The fuel injectors are probably worth saving as cores or possibly rebuild candidates. Back in 1996 during a rehabilitation of a similar engine, Cummins wanted $2,200 per rod for a new rod (similar rods were recovered and rebuilt off another scrap engine for far, far less than that). Unless the engine is an HR-6, the "R" standing for revised bore (5-1/8" versus the original 4-7/8"), the liners and heads may be useful to replace destroyed components. 5-1/8" parts are still available. Note" "H" series engines use only two valves per cylinder whereas the later NH (amongst other Cummins engines) use four valves.
I've been told that these engines were "boat anchors" by the 1960's, though parts were still supplied by Cummins into the late 1970's. Mostly constructed of "unobtainium" parts.

Last edited by Rob on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Parting Out A Cummins (H-6 or HR-6) Diesel Engine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:38 am 

So I guess no one is really running these engines anymore?

Did any other locomotive builders use them in their products?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:28 pm 

iirc GE 45 Ton center cabs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:44 pm 

Well, the idea of savaging a few parts from this engine is gaining favour. I may start pulling it apart in July and then I'll post an ad in the Classified section and see if I get any bites.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:26 pm 

Early 45-tonners originally had the H engines. However, Cummins seems to have had some success in marketing upgrades to locos (and other equipment) in the late 50s, so a given loco would not necessarily have this particular model, even if it was originally so-equipped.

JR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:52 pm 

might work in a 25 tonner i work on 2 a 43 model old body stile ex us mill and a 53 model new body stile

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:17 pm 

Since I can't get at the engine block with a forklift at the moment, I took a look at the other Cummins engine still under the hood of the centrecab locomotive that this engine came from.

Looking at the dataplate on the other engine it appears to be a Cummins HR-1 engine, and it does have the PT Fuel Injection.

Attachments:
Copy of IMG_9170.jpg
Copy of IMG_9170.jpg [ 281.28 KiB | Viewed 7969 times ]
Copy of IMG_9168.jpg
Copy of IMG_9168.jpg [ 184.04 KiB | Viewed 7969 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:43 am 

Picture #1 - the engine data plate (engine tag) will be right behind the two sheave pulley (accessory drive pulley), on the ear of the block. The engine serial number is also stamped on the rear corner of the cylinder block (the side facing down on the pallet.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:52 am 

Is it possible that the model designation on the tag is "HBI"?

Also, one cannot assume that the model numbers for the two prime movers match one another, even in the same loco.

JR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:15 am 

John Redden wrote:
Is it possible that the model designation on the tag is "HBI"?

Also, one cannot assume that the model numbers for the two prime movers match one another, even in the same loco.

JR

Read Rob's description earlier in the thread. He noted that it could be either an H or HR series engine.

Comparing the engine block in question to a parts catalog for an H6 engine, I do see some differences in the design of the block, leading me to suspect that it's not an H6, and with the other engine designated HR, I guessing that's what the first one is too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:16 am 

Latest photos are interesting and now it's known that the engine is an HR. Probably what you're reading is the letter "I" as that would make the most sense in Cummins nomenclature. The "I" stands for industrial and, perhaps, may indicate that the locomotive in question had at least one engine swapped out and whomever performed the work installed the closest version of the "H" engine but that's just a conclusion. The PT pump appears intact and in decent shape, at least on the exterior. Finding shops to rebuild such pumps is becoming tougher and tougher as the skills and parts needed are fading away. The big issues with these older pumps are the seals inside that control the pressure, part of the "pressure-time" system or PT. The seals age and the newer fuel oil has a tendency to cause cracking of the material leading to all sorts of issues. The external drive "spider" on the pump looks good too and if anyone still has a single-disk or double-disk fuel system, they should contact this group as it looks like all the parts are there for a conversion. Don't forget the fuel lines and the injectors themselves as the conversion to PT generally requires all of that "kit" beyond the pump and drive. The aux. drive on the opposite site still has the coupling gear for whatever hung there, probably an old 32V Leece-Neville generator. You can convert that drive to power a nice Delco 32V alternator that solves many, many problems. Hopefully, someone will want/need parts from this Cummins.

Below is a shot of a similar Cummins following a rehabilitation in 1997.

Attachments:
339.jpg
339.jpg [ 129.44 KiB | Viewed 7810 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:01 am 

Rob, I should point out that the latest photos are of the other engine still in use on the locomotive that the engine I want to part out is from.

I can't get at the engine with a forklift at the moment as someone left a pile of bricks next to it, and I have to see if they will either remove the bricks, or I may have to move them myself... a result of some renovations happening at our site. (contractors, you gotta love them!)...

Of course, if the engine that is still in the locomotive craps out, we do have another complete engine (a completely different model of engine mind you) to swap in, so in that event, I guess we will have more Cummins HR parts available!