It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cars Assigned to Atomic Energy Commission
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:08 am 

Hi

Looking for photos and information on any cars that were assigned to or used by the Atomic Energy Commission.

eg: L&N 148 and 1652, (these were in REA service I think) and ACL 666, Trying to locate photos of these. Any in restoration?

There were some Under DODX and TSSX ATMX and stored at Amarillo, have photos of these.

Thks
Charles Harris

Post subject: Re: Cars Assigned to Atomic Energy Commission
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 pm 

I think there are a couple of these cars in a Florida RR museum...maybe the West Florida Museum? I know somebody sent me a few photos of the cars along with the informational signage... years ago.
Some of these cars were operated by REA and couriers on board. They moved over the L&N to/from Oak Ridge at one time.
T7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:27 am 

Hi Termite7

Thanks for your reply. Great contacts you gave, I can follow up on those museums now and track down some more info.

Thanks

Charles Harris
New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:55 pm 

The L&N cars were actually operated by the AEC I believe, and may have been owned by them. They were rebuilt from Pullman heavyweight cars into a combine configuration. There was a concrete vault installed up front for the "hot" material. The cars were painted in L&N colors and had REA lettering.

There is discussion on them in the book Louisville & Nashville Passenger Trains: The Pan American Era 1921-1971, which is out of print but can be found from the usual online sources.

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:13 pm 

Illinois Central diagram books noted that cabooses IC 9791-9792 were "Modified for Atomic Energy Commission Service." Nothing in the diagram to indicate what was modified, but presumably these were rider cars for persons accompanying AEC shipments.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:23 am 

Yes, one of the museums in Florida had 2 of the L&N cars, but one of them was scrapped the other year. Let me check my notes later and I'll post more info.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:35 pm 

10 or 15 years ago I toured an AEC guard car. It had sleeping and dining facilities. A 250 KW gen set and empty radio racks as well as an empty gun rack. It was privately owned and sold again shortly after that.

Tom Hamilton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 am 

Stationary Engineer wrote:
10 or 15 years ago I toured an AEC guard car. It had sleeping and dining facilities. A 250 KW gen set and empty radio racks as well as an empty gun rack. It was privately owned and sold again shortly after that.

Tom Hamilton
What type of car was it?

In late sometime in, I think, late 1967 (Minox Cameras did not have date stamps the way cell phone cameras do) I was at Hoboken Terminal and I saw what I thought at first was a Troop Sleeper. It had USAX reporting marks, The "PULLMAN" lettering had been replaced by "UNITED STATES ARMY" and "TROOP SLEEPER" by "GUARD CAR". It was parked by itself on one of the pier tracks on the south side of the terminal (near where the light rail is now). A long string of MUs backed down and coupled to it then moved to a different track where where the whole assemblage became a departure for Dover. Since I doubt that the Lackawanna had leased it to increase commuter capacity (even though in those days you could never be sure) I assumed it was bound for Picatinny Arsenal on the Wharton and Northern.

GME

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:36 pm 

In my stack of stuff is some of the older "dangerous shipment" placards (diamond shaped) that were used to identify "radioactive shipments"...published by REA. They say something like "do not couple to cars containing undeveloped film"...seriously...that was the only warning on the placard.

These came to me as a result of dumpster diving (I'm not proud) where they were cleaning out an old REA office. They are tan cardstock printed with red letters.

It was always my understanding that REA was a contractor for the AEC. They used a LOT of contractors for many different functions. I am pretty sure they always contracted for security functions.

(hide under your desk) T7

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:13 pm 

In regards to the AEC guard car that I toured, it was a an old heavyweight passenger car of some sort.

I was in traffic management in the Air Force in the late 60's, and we used the REA a lot because they always carried a side arm.

Tom Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:34 pm 

Try looking up the cars at the Passenger Car Photo Index... you'll find some shots there.

Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links

Interurban Car Photo Index
PCC Car Photo Index

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:01 am 

The Pacific Southwest Railway Museum Association has a US Army guard car #G-10.

See: UNITED STATES ARMY G-10

It is reported to have been modified from a medial service kitchen car built by ACF in 1942. And its use after conversion in 1954 it "transported and housed security detachments guarding shipments of hazardous material, and served on ammunition trains between the Naval Ammunition Depot at Hawthorne, NV and the Naval Weapons Station at Port Chicago, CA."