It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steam locomotive whistles
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:38 pm 

Ok here is the real story regarding #2816's whistle's, I know because I was there. The original saturated steam whistle was full of mud wasp nests when it came from steamtown and thus found to be in very poor condition. It was used to make a pattern to have a new whistle cast which the engine currently wears; the original whistle was sent back to steamtown with the stoker motor, screw, and all other original parts that weren't used. The return of unused parts was part of CP's agreement with steamtown.

After the engine was operated a couple years it was found that the original whistle was very hard on the ears of the operating and pilot crews, it was decided that a second whistle be added. In keeping with CPR practice and to reduce the noise in the cab it would be mounted behind the stack. In the fall of 2003 CPR 5935 lent 2816 its superheated, air actuated STEAM whistle and it was mounted. Because it uses superheated steam and is air actuated (on/off) it has a different sound to it, it is however proper. Later Royal Hudsons, Pacifics, Mikados, and Selkirks all have the same whistle in the same location.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:07 am 

whitworth wrote:
After the engine was operated a couple years it was found that the original whistle was very hard on the ears of the operating and pilot crews, it was decided that a second whistle be added. In keeping with CPR practice and to reduce the noise in the cab it would be mounted behind the stack. In the fall of 2003 CPR 5935 lent 2816 its superheated, air actuated STEAM whistle and it was mounted. Because it uses superheated steam and is air actuated (on/off) it has a different sound to it, it is however proper.

First, thank you "whitworth" for providing the information you have about #2816.

Second, let me make sure I understand this correctly (and please correct me if I'm wrong). Both whistles on #2816 are steam powered. However, one of them is air actuated, and the other is controlled manually. So, this whistle being used in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFwBcidiVP8) is the air actuated whistle, and the whistle being used in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plHipv3SdEQ) is the manually controlled whistle. Is that correct?

Also, are both of the whistles on #2816 CP 5 chimes? If they aren't, what are they?

Lastly, can they switch which whistle is air actuated? I ask because it seems like the whistle near the smokestack is generally the one that is air actuated. However, in "Rocky Mountain Express", it appears that whistle is manually operated.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:27 am 

Yes, both whistles are steam, one is controlled with a rope and lever and the other is controlled by compressed air opening the operating valve on the whistle. They are both 5 chime.
No they can't switch, the Selkirk whistle can't be operated by hand and the Hudson whistle can't be operated by air.
I didn't hear any whistle in your first video, but you are correct that the manual hudson whistle is being used in the second.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:42 am 

One last thing on the topic, attached is part of the CPR Royal Hudson erection drawing showing the location of the superheated whistle. It can't be operated by hand...

Attachments:
IMG_20171016_213640_850.JPG
IMG_20171016_213640_850.JPG [ 284.62 KiB | Viewed 1184 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 am 

whitworth wrote:
Yes, both whistles are steam, one is controlled with a rope and lever and the other is controlled by compressed air opening the operating valve on the whistle. They are both 5 chime.
No they can't switch, the Selkirk whistle can't be operated by hand and the Hudson whistle can't be operated by air.
I didn't hear any whistle in your first video, but you are correct that the manual hudson whistle is being used in the second.

First, thank you very much "whitworth". You have answered a lot of my questions.

Regarding the first video link, the whistle I'm referring to starts at ~5:30. If you still can't hear it, try from this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhWCQaIWce4). I'm assuming that is the air actuated 5 chime. Also, why does the air actuated whistle sound different between those two videos and when #2816 was in "Rocky Mountain Express"? Here's an example of #2816 in that movie (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjFgJ9dA5z8).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:57 am 

First, I want to say that I appreciate all the information that people have been giving me regarding steam whistles.

Second, I have a few quick questions. 1) Does anyone know what whistle Reading #2102 wore when she was cosmetically changed to resemble D&H 4-8-4 #302 (whether it was a D&H or any other special whistle)? 2) Does anyone have an idea what whistle T&P #610 wore? I've only heard audio of her whistle being blown once, and I have no idea what kind of whistle it is. 3) I really badly want to know if the Missouri Pacific made their own whistles or if they just bought whistles to use (and what whistles those would have been).

Any information, or help, you can share would be greatly appreciated. Merry Christmas!

Attachment:
Merry Christmas.jpg
Merry Christmas.jpg [ 135.78 KiB | Viewed 974 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:52 am 

I should think that the folks at the Texas State Railroad would be able to tell you about 610’s whistle. There may even be an employee-type or two lurking here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am 

I was given a 'old train whistle' as a teenager by a friend of my fathers and it took me 20 years and the internet to "prove" the story behind it, and its still not 100%. It also gave me a lot of unintended education on whistles.

Certain railroads definitely standardized on certain whistle types, so if you have a whistle that doesn't meet up with a company spec, at least be rather suspicious. The story behind my little Crosby coming off LV looked like complete BS as they standardized on what looks like a Lonergan style during the final steam era, and big ones at that. I'd dismissed the entire story until I found a single shop switcher in Sayre with a little Crosby on it, so you never know for sure...really. Mine even had a base 4-digit stamping on it that looked like a locomotive number, but doesn't match up with any roster of anything anywhere.

The other thing to remember is that whistles were whistles, and everybody from factories to steamboats to donkey engines used them for communication. I had the privilege to visit a maritime insurance office a couple weeks ago where the owner is a whistle fan, and I was 'blown away' by his whistle collection, including one reportedly off a WWII Japanese battleship. And lots and lots of other beautiful work, including Crosby. But to my comparatively uneducated eyes, most could have passed for locomotive whistles as marine ones unless you heard them.

I've had my little Crosby at a whistlefest on compressed air and recorded it, and got it down to a friends steam locomotive last year and recorded that - wow, no comparison at all on sound. Completely different.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:21 am 

[quote="Randy Gustafson"] Mine even had a base 4-digit stamping on it that looked like a locomotive number, but doesn't match up with any roster of anything anywhere.[/quote]

This stamping was a batch number that Crosby applied to all their chime whistles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:55 am 

Location: Somewhere north of Prescott, AZ on the Santa Fe "Peavine"
And another thing to be aware of is that anyone that goes to a decent tool/supply store can acquire number stamp dies allowing you to stamp any numbers or letters one wishes on something like a brass casting. It's not unique to railroad shops or the like.

It's become a safe assumption by now that for every set of numbers or whatever that was applied to a steam whistle during its working days by an industrial owner for whatever reason (inventory, etc.), there's another out there that was applied by a later owner in an attempt to (perhaps fraudulently) pass off the whistle as something else, or to say what loco/etc. it (supposedly) came off of. Peruse eBay or the like long enough, and you will become bemused or outraged at the people attempting to pass off--sadly, sometimes successfully--a far-too-small steam or air whistle as "NYC" or having come off a Big Boy because of what is rather obviously later number or letter stamps.