It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MEDCO #4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm 

Anybody have an update on the Medco #4 Willamette restoration? Last update (2012) showed rebuilt boiler installed and engines being installed. Any news?

Post subject: Re: MEDCO #4
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

I'm a long way from there now, but still get their newsletter. They continue to work on the engine with the eventual goal of operating it locally.

Sorry I don't have anything more specific.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

So, sounds like they have already used up at least 5 years of their 15 year ticket.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:49 pm 

Is that the boiler shell or the boiler with the tubes? It's one thing to rebuild the shell and another thing to begin putting the tubes in.

My understanding is that the counting begins with the installation of the first tube.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:18 pm 

train guy wrote:
So, sounds like they have already used up at least 5 years of their 15 year ticket.

The flue/tube/boiler accreditation? That doesnt start till its fully inspected.
The inspectors will look over and check the boiler, make their suggestions it needs something, and be back later when work gets done. They did that with IRM's decapod.
Its running happily now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:27 pm 

First off Part 230.17 includes:

Quote:
In the case of a new locomotive or a locomotive being brought out of retirement, the initial 15 year period shall begin on the day that the locomotive is placed in service or 365 calendar days after the first flue tube is installed in the locomotive, whichever comes first.

And the rest of Part 230 can be read here: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/pagede ... ycord=3078 mld

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:01 am 

From what I read on their web site, tubes and superheaters were installed and hydro tests were done by the boiler contractor in 2012 and witnessed by an FRA inspector. Sounds like the clock is running to me. Last web site update was also 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm 

Sometime in the last six months or more several pieces of the #4 were at Stockton Locomotive Works. I remember seeing a few details of the work and the parts being shipped back to Medford on one of my rare visits to Facebook.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:04 pm 

Are there any new updates regarding the restoration of Medco #4? It will be really exciting to see a second Willamette up and running (considering how rare they were even during the steam era).

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 pm 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
Are there any new updates regarding the restoration of Medco #4? It will be really exciting to see a second Willamette up and running (considering how rare they were even during the steam era).

There was actually an update about this posted to Facebook today in the "American Steam Locomotive Restoration Groups & Projects" group. Several photos of no. 4 inside a shed are included, and it looks to be in very good condition. According to the poster, the restoration is nearly complete. The superheater needs to be installed, some cab work remains, and the drive train needs to be reassembled. If that's all accurate, hopefully we'll see it in steam in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:31 am 

whodom wrote:
There was actually an update about this posted to Facebook today in the "American Steam Locomotive Restoration Groups & Projects" group. Several photos of no. 4 inside a shed are included, and it looks to be in very good condition. According to the poster, the restoration is nearly complete. The superheater needs to be installed, some cab work remains, and the drive train needs to be reassembled. If that's all accurate, hopefully we'll see it in steam in the near future.

I saw that about the time I posted this. It's excellent to hear that the locomotive's restoration is still proceeding well. Is there a website documenting the restoration? Where do they plan to operate the Willamette once it is finished? I'd like to know since I've only just found out about this restoration.

- Diesels are boxcars with an engine, but steam is an iron horse.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:21 am 

SteamEnthusiast4000 wrote:
Where do they plan to operate the Willamette once it is finished?

I saw somewhere where Rogue Valley Terminal, a 14 or so mile short line connecting to the Central Oregon and Pacific (G&W) just north of Medford, was a possible option for operation, but I don't know that the railroad was ever consulted or gave its approval. I can't see G&W letting them run on the Siskyou Summit line, even though that would be really impressive. Yreka CA is around 50 miles away, and the Yreka Western, which used to run steam-powered excursions, is still there, though its ownership is in a state of flux right now and it has been dormant for several years.