It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: N&W 611 route up to PA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:55 pm 

What route will she be taking to Strasburg? We are hoping to chase her up to Strasburg from the PA/MA Border once she reaches it. Will she go up to Harrisburg/Enola for a service stop and a possible spin on the turntable? What day will she leave and what day will she arrive? I think it would be quite the experience to chase her up on lines she may never have been on. Also, will she have a PTC waiver, or will she have a diesel with her (Maybe 8103?)
Thanks! -NS6770Fan.

Post subject: Re: N&W 611 route up to PA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:53 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
This is wanton speculation based on a myriad of experiences with NS and Conrail with steam in the area dating back to 1985........... yes, 7002/1223 days.

There are about six different ways to get her from the Lurgan Line (ex-Reading) to Leaman Place, depending on your objectives, which way you want the loco pointed, how complex you want it to be, etc.

My wager, if you forced me to wager, would be that it would cross the river on the Reading bridge, loop through Harrisburg after turning north at CP Capital, run north to the Rockville Bridge, cross again, enter Enola from the north, run down the west side of the yard, stop for servicing and water near the yard office, then head south through Lemoyne and York Haven, cross the Susquehanna again at Shocks Mill, then south/east through Columbia and Mountville, then wait at Dillerville for a pilot over Amtrak to Leaman Place.

Why? As much NS rail as possible, minimal interference with or involvement with Amtrak.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:06 pm 

Perhaps this would be best placed in the Railfan forum?

Joshua

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:33 pm 

My WAG is the regardless of which route it takes it will be hauled by a PTC equipped diesel. 611 will no doubt be under steam and will operate with a very light throttle to keep the valve and pistons lubricated.

I'd also guess it will most likely move in the middle of the night??

Your mileage may vary.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:45 pm 

NS has at least 3 wyes in the Harrisburg/Enola area; who needs a turntable. Sandy's big loop around Harrisburg doesn't involve backing at all and does get 611 to where they can service the engine.

A PTC-equipped diesel would also have dynamic brakes, which are very handy when moving a lite steam engine.

Phil Mulligan