It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GE 45 ton side rods
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:16 pm 

So now that we have this thing, my first question to the group is how do you time the side rods? It came to us with rods off one truck. We can get one side on but the other has a 1 inch difference in spacing between axles. I am sure there is an easy fix but I have not found it yet. Lol

Does Logan still exist?

Thanks
Bill

Post subject: Re: GE 45 ton side rods
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:52 pm 

The cranks should be keyed to the axles. I'd recommend looking for a sheared or missing key. It's possible a crank spun on the axle, misaligning the crank pin for the side rod.

Edit: First step is to rotate one axle until the cranks are aligned. If you are still having issues, see above.

Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
http://www.rgvrrm.org

Last edited by Joe Nugent on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:09 pm 

If the wheel sets are just out of time with each other (I assume that the rod you were able to mount had the crankpins near 3 or 9 o'clock?), just move the engine until the other side's crankpins are at 3 or 9 o'clock, and you should be able to slip that one on as well. The first rod will drag the offending wheel set into time with the other. put down some oil on the rail in front of one wheel set to help it slip.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:17 pm 

No power to drivers available.

Here are some pics of what I am looking at

Attachments:
Image591690777.jpg
Image591690777.jpg [ 232.82 KiB | Viewed 8459 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:26 pm 

The site is fighting me.

Attachments:
Image-117724374.jpg
Image-117724374.jpg [ 320.41 KiB | Viewed 8446 times ]
Image1304784255.jpg
Image1304784255.jpg [ 320.41 KiB | Viewed 8446 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:43 pm 

hytwr1 wrote:
No power to drivers available.

A Coffin hoist to the end of the rail it's sitting on should do to roll the locomotive as much as you need. Have a piece of wood handy for a chock in case it wants to roll too much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:12 pm 

Looking at the second photo, that ain't gonna work. If you have a side rod on with the wheels "out of time", you've effectively locked the wheels in place - nothin' gonna turn, simple geometry

I know nothing about 45 tonners or any critters for that matter, but.... Can you jack the end of the truck that doesn't have the traction motor and turn the wheel to get it in time with the powered wheel set?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:44 pm 

Are you sure those are the correct rods? Measure the center distance of the axles and compare to the rod center distance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:57 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
Are you sure those are the correct rods? Measure the center distance of the axles and compare to the rod center distance.

There are two crank pin positions relative to each other that enable you to mount the rod. The one in the photo is the wrong position.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:18 pm 

Did you rotate one of the axles between taking the left hand and right hand side photos? If not, my money is still on a missing or sheared key. Something is definitely off. Look closely at the axle centers... you’ll be able to see the keys pretty clearly.

Rochester and Genesee Valley Railroad Museum
http://www.rgvrrm.org

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:34 pm 

Joe Nugent wrote:
Did you rotate one of the axles between taking the left hand and right hand side photos? If not, my money is still on a missing or sheared key. Something is definitely off. Look closely at the axle centers... you’ll be able to see the keys pretty clearly.

I agree with Joe, if the locomotive has not been moved between the photos, the indexing of the pins and counterweights on the inboard axle looks suspect.

PC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:08 pm 

The counterweights and crankpins locations should match when looking at the truck from either side. And then maybe 90-degrees different from side to side much like a steam engine.

I would take the one rod off that you got installed and then check to see if one of the four counterweights has a shared or missing pin. Then follow the directions given above.

I would also measure the rods and the center to center of the axles just to make sure everything matches.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:09 pm 

Could the traction motor be wired to a 2 banger diesel welder to slowly rotate the motor? UP turbine 18 was used that way till the welder seized up at the Kansas scrapyard.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:21 pm 

Drag the loco about 18 inches and try again. hopefully the rod ON the engine will be at the top or bottom. Then the other rod should slide on a little easier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:39 pm 

Seems that the axles are simply "out of phase". To be expected when a locomotive with side rods is transported with the side rods removed. From the supplied photos there is no evidence of a "sheared key" (that would be quite evident).

So, block one axle so it can't "turn" very much, then jack up the other axle (with appropriate blocking between the truck frame and the journal box). Then rotate the "jacked up axle" until the side rods "fit".

If the keying between the axle shaft and the counterweight/crankpin was significantly damaged I would expect the journal brasses to be "hosed".....

Or just "jam" the side rods in place, the wheels will just "slip" on the rails until things are "happy" again.

Cheers, Kevin.