It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: North Yorkshire Moors Rwy vandalized. You got cameras?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:22 am 

Bad news out of the UK today...

https://www.nymr.co.uk/appeal/teak-set-appeal

The cliff notes version is overnight last night, North Yorkshire Moors Railway had it's antique teak wood coaches vandalized inside and out. While the railway and the police work to find the culprit(s), it begs the question...

Do you have cameras at your facility/ museum? If not, why not?? Security camera systems are significantly less expensive now that they were and serve 2 purposes. First is as a deterrent. Many entities put cameras everywhere to deter such activity. One only has to ride through Baltimore to see the blue flashing police cameras. Perhaps the local 7-11 is a good spot as most have more cameras than roof tiles.

Secondly, when something does go bad, often you can get a good recording of the perps which not only increases the chance of them getting caught and gives you bulletproof evidence bit also provides a more dynamic media to provide the public during the fundraising appeal to get the stuff repaired.

Food for thought....
Russ

Post subject: Re: North Yorkshire Moors Rwy vandalized. You got cameras?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:52 pm 

Apparently the persons responsible for this were sufficiently inteligent to post details of their "work" on the delights of Social Media, so the current score as of Sunday evening is one arrest and three other participants supposedly identified through the things posted on line.......

You couldn't make it up!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:41 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Their apprehension doesn't pay for repairs, however.

Donations being solicited:

https://www.nymr.co.uk/appeal/teak-set-appeal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:33 pm 

The dark side of the British preservation scene... as progressive as the restorations and heritage railroads are, there is a chronic vandalism problem. To hear that the rake of teak stock was hit is a real kick in the nuts. I will never understand the need to destroy that which is cared for, no matter how rare or common the target is.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
As for cameras, one operation I am involved with not only has a full range of cameras outside its main center, it has both the old-style camera cases and discrete pinhole "hidden" cameras elsewhere. I was told the old cases are now "dummies", but I honestly don't know.

The modern trend is not only to have the cameras recording, but also have secure streaming access where authorized personnel have instant access to the video on their smartphones--which has come in handy to check whether there is localized flooding occurring at night from either the nearby stream or from certain chronically overflowing storm drains on higher elevations.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:46 am 

Arrests:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... n-13376043

Quote:
Reports on social media suggested that some youngsters were found asleep in the carriages on Sunday morning.
But North Yorkshire Police has warned people not to post images of suspects on social media, as it could affect the legal process.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:03 pm 

Would be nice if the court would sentence them to 5 years on the Museum's Track Gang.

-Hudson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:15 pm 

HudsonL wrote:
Would be nice if the court would sentence them to 5 years on the Museum's Track Gang.

I would suggest that having people on your property and responsible for keeping it in good repair against their will might not be the brightest of ideas......

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:20 pm 

When I was at TVRM, we installed an array of cameras in and around the Grand Junction facility as it was unfenced. Due to a limited budget, we only provided coverage of areas that were determined to be critical or high risk-i.e. the retail space and the entrance that had the alarm keypad. That was to address potential for loss by employees/volunteers authorized to access the building and incident management. We also had a camera positioned to cover the main driveway. During my time, we never had to use the camera footage for it's intended purpose but it was nice to know that we had the cameras if needed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:33 pm 

It is a shame that we cannot have nice things to ride in as a tourist or local from any Railway in the World ! Would like to say Thank You to those who like to do something Criminal to a railway career Locomotive.. I am surprised that the RB circus cars or any of them haven't been Vandalized yet.

http://www.wearecentralpa.com/news/dubo ... /773441320

Mr. Starr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:08 pm 

For those who might use or consider the use of dummy cameras, please consider this a potential liability issue. I have seen this come up before. "Bought I thought you had this taped?"

Joshua

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:30 am 

Four of the eight are now back in service:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york ... e-40921789

Nearly £42,000 was raised to repair the cars from donations.