It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Former CPR Mikado in Depew, New York
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

The best outcome possible. A move to a new home. Preferably in the city of Calgary in Canada.

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 pm 

Perhaps the fight is not over yet. There is a TV weatherman in Buffalo who is a well known railfan. Perhaps he can become aware of the plight of the 5361 and if nothing else, put a face on the situation, perhaps assist in keeping her from going to scrap. It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes, it's the only shot you have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

Perhaps the fight is not over yet. There is a TV weatherman in Buffalo who is a well known railfan. Perhaps he can become aware of the plight of the 5361 and if nothing else, put a face on the situation, perhaps assist in keeping her from going to scrap. It's a shot in the dark, but sometimes, it's the only shot you have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:43 pm 

Dave wrote:
What railfan community? I don't see any cohesive mass worthy of the amount of respect any collective amount of power would engender...….. if we were that powerful, and cohesive, we'd already have bought and moved it. OTOH, we are probably annoying enough that he'd find dealing with a scrapper pleasant in comparison. What outcome do we want to encourage here?

Who said anything about power? You know just as well as I do there are a lot of railfans who love to judge and criticize, but don't lift a finger themselves. No doubt about it, he will be judged and criticized.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:48 pm 

Maybe we can get in touch with the gentleman who bought the CPR 3101 4-8-4?

From my CPR tender discussion.

The 3101 in the scrapyard was sold, along with a quantity of ex-CN and ex-CP passenger equipment from throughout the Midwest, to an individual named Gary Southgate of South Battleford, SA. As far as I know he hasn't done anything with any of it, despite purchasing them over 5 years ago.

Chris.

Worth a shot.

Robert

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:49 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
Oh lets not turn on each other for Christ sake.

^Over reaction.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 am 

Txhighballer wrote:

Send me a PM, maybe I can reach out to this gentleman...
Honestly, I think media attention may benefit this "hopeless" situation.
The fight is not over yet...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:04 pm 

Deleted

Last edited by BigBoy 4023 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:42 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
My buddy in Canada says the PM can intervene in this situation if he chooses to do so being a historic CPR artifact. He would know as he's helped save several historical artifacts of importance to Canada being a Canadian.

Unfortunately I'm almost positive that will lead to a dead end. The locomotive is in the United States and owned by an American, which means the Canadian government will be absolutely powerless unless they buy it themselves, which I doubt they will.

Last edited by k5ahudson on Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:57 pm 

AL Crisp here ;Seems I sent another one that went astray. Anyway all I expect from the PM or who ever in government would be to nudge CPR in the right direction. Please do not make us come back and fight the War of 1812 all over!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm 

al crisp wrote:
AL Crisp here ;Seems I sent another one that went astray. Anyway all I expect from the PM or who ever in government would be to nudge CPR in the right direction. Please do not make us come back and fight the War of 1812 all over!!

The CPR is not a crown corporation. The government can't force them to do anything unless they break the law. The government can "suggest", but if the CPR is not interested, they're not interested.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:15 pm 

Who owns the spur that the engine is sitting on? If its not the same person we may have some options. Who is the weatherman and what is the engine's exact location?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:10 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
Who is the weatherman...

Why does that sound like a quote from an Orwell novel? Hahaha

6-18003 wrote:
...what is the engine's exact location?

Here you go: 42.908821, -78.691374

Last edited by NS 3322 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 pm 

BigBoy 4023 wrote:
My buddy in Canada says the PM can intervene in this situation if he chooses to do so being a historic CPR artifact. He would know as he's helped save several historical artifacts of importance to Canada being a Canadian.

Robert

Wow! This thread is something else... You do realize that the Prime Minister of Canada works tireless to destroy the country right? (Hence why I defected to the Eastern Bloc).

You can be sure that saving an EVIL Coal-Burning, Carbon Dioxide-belching machine is so diametrically opposed to everything Justin Trudeau stands for. Heck, he might even buy the thing just for the sake OF cutting it up (burning taxpayer money... it isn't a problem for him).

Anyways, I think the trauma of watching this engine get cut into little tiny pieces will be a good shock to the system for this community... I wonder if Terry Sprague will sell ringside tickets to the scrapping in order to recoup some of his loses.

Maybe its time for a "clean sweep". If it's not safe after ALL these years of railway preservation then just get it out of the way and be done with it. Even the vast majority of the stuff that is "safe" is really just delaying the inevitable date with the cutting torch. Look at all the museums that have tanked recently.

All of the steam era stuff that was dumped in parks 60 years ago, is really getting past the point of being worth saving, and will require obscene amounts of work to "restore". For what, taking a plundered boiler on a frame and adorning it with generic components that have nothing to do with the locomotive once so ever.... real "museum" pieces...

Time to drop the sentimentalism and get with reality.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:13 pm 

I know Mr. Southgate. He looked into purchasing this locomotive several years ago and decided against it due to the cost and the logistics.

Contacting the Canadian PM would be a waste of time, the best channel would be to contact the Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism - The Honourable Pablo Rodriguez ( Pablo.Rodriguez@parl.gc.ca )

However, as joe6167 pointed out, a coal burning, green house gas emitting industrial relic from another era does not jive with the current Liberal Party mandate and it is currently the private property of a US Citizen and sitting on American soil, so the chances of the Canadian Government intervening are just about nil.

Last edited by RoyalwithCheese on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 24  Next