It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Former CPR Mikado in Depew, New York
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am 

Al Crisp here;I knew this would happen. Nobody has heard a good story yet so lets make one up. I know that sounds brutal but we are in a place where the rumor mill runs wild. Yes there was deal being worked on in western Canada and I was involved in that I had started working on the logistics long before the principal involved was called by CPR people. He had approached CPR heritage when he decided he wanted a CPR loco and I had tracked down the most senior I could find at CPR after the departure of HH. Despite his best attempts thankfully HH was like Trump ,easily distracted by flattery and so they managed to save everything at heritage including the Empress. So thankfully there is still people at CPR who care about the company History. For anyone interested you can figure these folks out for yourself as I did, I did not say anything about confidentiality to them other then to the Canadian buyer.He is still in the market and I know of a couple large CPR locos which may soon be in play. Also in case of change in attitude at CPR I do not want to jeopardize their positions or the rumors????? about the rebirth of the 2816 that are floating on the web, in the very near future.
When I started on this dizzy ride everyone seemed resigned to the demise of the 5361 at the hands of scraper, including the owner who I contacted immediately on starting to find a better fate for the engine. Most every one knows who he is by now but I will not use his name in full as I promised him. We were in regular contact until the western Canada deal went PHT!! much to the chagrin of the principal. The owner will not answer my calls and emails despite the fact I have turned over all my research, quotes , government regulations, taxes due to the various governments who want their blood money about moving that much weight, trucking and lifting and rigging companies with experience in the field Yes the western gentleman has the money but as I said before he told me that the sale price was only about 25% of the total for him overall. For that reason and what he would do when it got out west were still in discussion and not in my sphere except that I had recommended an experienced wrangler to head the move! Also I was attempting to get him with a contractor in his area who owns engines and does TV train scene work for film companies. When the CPR company officials called me and said he would get in touch I was impressed because being cautious I did a DanB and corporate check on background and holdings>!! I have been burned by fast talking so called millionaire hobbyists in the past moving boat stuff and aircraft engines around the world. For anyone not familiar with moving or even buying something of size and moving it across borders it is a rats maze as it has ever been since Marco Polo. Think you can just go out there and do it with a big smile and a girl friend with a big bust good luck! As I said before this was freebie for me[I am retired] but I am so pissed as I think I may look like some sort of fool to some people, I may present the owner with my invoice for about 3000 US for the time taken and calls made, running around, yadayada!! Only problem I have shut down my tax numbers, give up my Commercial drivers license,Fast Card[commercial electronic passport] which gave me the exemption to load and unload freight coming and going between our countries. After the last few moves I lost the will to deal with both Canada Customs and USA Homeland Insecurity and just threw up my hands so I did this in hopes if the move went ahead that it would be easier for those who took on the job. If anyone doubts my veracity feel free to contact me privately as I do not want any jousting in public from the doubting Thomas's among you. Those who really know me, know that I do not go quietly into the night with out a resolution, not a fight if at all possible. I am loud and love the last word. To those who have been on my high classed trips to train fest Milwaukee remember no questions answered before I have my coffee at 8;30 am!!??I will say this though this was my first foray[hopefully my last, but who knows right?]and man you people are BAT SHIT Crazy at times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:41 am 

Mr. Crisp -

Appreciate all of the info. Trudge on!

Les

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:00 pm 

Al,

The engine has been sold. That is all.

You've said it yourself that "I've been told a deal has been reached." So, stick to what you've been told.

There's no need to keep bumping this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:40 pm 

I echo Kelly's sentiment. It has been sold. If the new owner wishes to come forward they will. If they wish to remain anonymous that is their decision.

I think the moderators need to lock this thread for the time being until verifiable information or facts come to light.

Chris Edwards
Batavia & Ohio Railway Services, LLC.

nathansixchime wrote:
Al,

The engine has been sold. That is all.

You've said it yourself that "I've been told a deal has been reached." So, stick to what you've been told.

There's no need to keep bumping this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm 

I have no dog in this fight, but what is highly ironic is that as soon as preparations start being made, I'm sure we will all be kept very up to date, virtually in real time, on every move that is made. And ultimately, when she is actually moved to her new home, it will be widely known and publicized by all the full time foamers out there, lol. It's not like they will be able to sneak this Mikado out of town under the cover of darkness. Patience...no one owes this group an answer, either. Let's just be happy she's not being scrapped.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm 

Al here; One more Time who has said it has been sold. If someone knows who contact me privately and it will not go beyond me till it is made public.I was working with the gentleman in the rumor from the west with the money and he thought he had only to finish the details on the following week and it was his. We spoke and a half hour later a call came saying it was sold no offer to entertain a counter offer. This is not how you do business. Unless the owner[or past owner ] are in some legal position of being sued I do not see any reason to hide in the bushes. And since then no communication or returned calls and one person who can afford to help steam preservation,left with a filthy taste in his mouth. If anyone knows the history of the loco you will know it has been down this road before. Deal reached then blown down the road at the last minute for some silly demands. Result high priced developer walked with his money, CPR was not really amused and took some convincing to be involved again and a couple honest long time facilitators in railway preservation will not get involved anymore at any price thank you very much.
As one of the aforementioned honest brokers said to me as this unfolded; Rail preservation is past it's prime, the product is drying up, the fan base is shrinking, the past the sell buy date is in the mirror and oblivion is on the horizon. The last thing you need is lack of honesty to further muddy the waters on the fate of an albeit to some, handsome 80 year old chunk of iron. It is not the nuclear codes we are talking about and I am tired of saying no comment to various media who keep calling and emailing me when it is not for me to say.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:58 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
At this stage of the game, I don't give a flying fig until someone actually wants to announce ownership or shows up to start prep work for relocation.

Actions speak louder than words. When something visibly/publicly happens, I'll get interested. Until then, best wishes, condolences, congrats, or commiseration to the parties involved as appropriate.

See Also: B&LE 643, GSMR 722, Reading 2102, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:38 pm 

As the person who helped negotiate the sale, I can promise you it is sold.

Please see my previous posts in this thread.

Al, I don’t doubt your hard work and intentions, but you’ve taken on the mantle yourself and made yourself the point person despite not having the seller’s blessing or endorsement.

It’s not nuclear codes, but it is business.

KL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:55 pm 

This thread is now going in circles. We have confirmation that it has been sold, so until new information is made available it is pointless for this to continue. Lets take a break and maybe revisit this later after something happens.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24