Railway Preservation News
http://www.rypn.org/forums/

Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Day
http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41029
Page 1 of 1

Author:  meixel [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Day

Yesterday, 8/15, Klondike Mines #4 arrived in Como, Colorado after a rebuild in Cheyenne, Wyoming. She is being reassembled and will be fired up for operation this Saturday for Boreas Pass Railroad Day. She will operate between the depot and roundhouse. The turntable installation is nearly complete and soon #4 will have a new home.

This is a truly historic event!

Author:  softwerkslex [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Where can we see photos?

Author:  philip.marshall [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:10 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Jason Midyette has posted a couple of photos here:

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,333682

-Philip Marshall

Author:  meixel [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Thanks Philip. I will post photos after attending Saturday.

Author:  Les Beckman [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

philip.marshall wrote:
Jason Midyette has posted a couple of photos here:

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,333682

-Philip Marshall


I'm assuming that the wood logs in the tender in Jason's photo are cosmetic only and that the actual fuel is something else. Propane perhaps? Or oil?


Les

Author:  meixel [ Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

It's my understanding that the engine is a wood burner.

Author:  Brian Norden [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

It was originally a coal burner. I'm not sure if it was on WP&YR long enough after WWII to be converted to oil. But later it was an oil burner.

The work at Cheyenne included converting it to burn wood. We'll see how that works.

Author:  Jason Midyette [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Klondike Mines No. 4 in Como yesterday. Built as a coal burner remained as such until converted to propane by the Dry Gulch church camp in Oklahoma circa 2010. Burning wood (a free and plentiful source of fuel in Colorado right now) in Como.

Jason Midyette

Attachments:
005 (800x533).jpg
005 (800x533).jpg [ 297.91 KiB | Viewed 1096 times ]

Author:  Frank J. DeStefano [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:00 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Jason Midyette wrote:
Klondike Mines No. 4 in Como yesterday. Built as a coal burner remained as such until converted to propane by the Dry Gulch church camp in Oklahoma circa 2010. Burning wood (a free and plentiful source of fuel in Colorado right now) in Como.

Jason Midyette


I'm surprised there's no visible spark arrestor in the stack if she's now a woodburner.

Wouldn't it be a necessity given the Colorado region has so much trackside vegetation?

Author:  Les Beckman [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:46 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Frank J. DeStefano wrote:
Jason Midyette wrote:
Klondike Mines No. 4 in Como yesterday. Built as a coal burner remained as such until converted to propane by the Dry Gulch church camp in Oklahoma circa 2010. Burning wood (a free and plentiful source of fuel in Colorado right now) in Como.

Jason Midyette


I'm surprised there's no visible spark arrestor in the stack if she's now a woodburner.

Wouldn't it be a necessity given the Colorado region has so much trackside vegetation?


A Colorado & Southern straight stack spark arrestor design might be the future answer. In the meantime, they have a motor car I believe and following the steamer with some type of fire suppressant might be the temporary answer.

Les

Author:  meixel [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

So far we only have 150 yards of turntable lead track so it should be easy to keep track of fires.

Author:  John Risley [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:23 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

Congrats to all involved. She is really cute.

Recall reading some time ago when she was either moving or changing hands that she had been pretty much stripped and it was uncertain where the parts were? Sound familiar? I take it the parts were all found and accounted for? At the time I read this article it was uncertain. Remember thinking "what a crying shame". So glad to see this one back together and soon to be in operation. Even if only 150 yds right now. Again congratulations to all involved. Regards, John.

Author:  QJdriver [ Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Steam locomotive in Como, CO and Boreas Pass Railroad Da

That little engine doesn't look C&S to me, but she sure is pretty in her own right. She doesn't need to look C&S to be beautiful.

While nobody asked me about this, please allow me to say that I'll take wood firing over propane ANY DAY. With propane, all it takes is a pinhole and a spark....

VIVA Klondike Mines #4 !!!!

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/