It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2016 Announcement - West Virginia 2-8-0's??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:45 pm 

I seem to have missed this, and/or don't remember seeing this on here last summer (yes, I did performing a Search here for it) - but it appears as though Cass is/will be home to two additional 2-8-0's - are they still in Elkins, or are they in Cass now? As per the website:

"At its meeting on May 26, 2016, the museum’s board approved the assignment of former West Virginia Northern Railroad steam locomotives numbers 8 and 9 to the West Virginia State Rail Authority. In consideration of such transfer of ownership the West Virginia Department of Transportation, Division of Highways released the museum from all obligations under a grant agreement dated August 30, 2011.

The museum in 2011 had received an estimate in the amount of approximately $165,000 from Sistersville Tank Company to complete the boiler work on locomotive No. 9 and had raised the 20% match for the grant. The department of highways announced the awarding of the grant to the museum in August of 2011 but the department of highways withheld its notice to proceed with the work for a period of over three years.

In those three years the cost of the repairs to complete No. 9 escalated over 300%. The museum did not have the resources to expend in excess of $350,000 for the restoration work on No. 9.

In the best interest of preserving the vintage locomotives, the museum approved the transfer of the equipment. The locomotives will be transported to Cass, where both locomotives will be restored to operating condition. The railroad shops at Cass are the only facilities in West Virginia where heavy repairs can be made to railroad steam locomotives."

https://wvrailmuseum.com/locomotives/

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

Post subject: Re: 2016 Announcement - West Virginia 2-8-0's??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:27 pm 

How does the cost of boiler repairs increase 300% ijn 3 years?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm 

By initially underestimating badly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:01 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
The two 2-8-0s were (and may still be) stored with the rest of the WV Railroad Museum collection in Belington, WV, not in Elkins. That's one of them under the blue tarp behind the cab unit in this picture I took in October, 2015. (I happened to be driving through Belington on my way home from Cass, saw the equipment from the highway, and pulled over to get a better look.)
Attachment:
IMG_2192_compressed.jpg
IMG_2192_compressed.jpg [ 260.09 KiB | Viewed 7070 times ]

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:40 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
The railroad shops at Cass are the only facilities in West Virginia where heavy repairs can be made to railroad steam locomotives."

https://wvrailmuseum.com/locomotives/

I guess that is why they cant get the 2-6-6-2 done at Ridgeley? [rim shot][/rim shot]

SZ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:20 pm 

I rode the Durbin Rocket about a month ago, the Conductor and I talked and he mentioned the two 2-8-0's and that there was a plan to bring them back.

He Said that the job for Cass now Is to get all the shays out and then the Climax's will have their turn then they will go to work on BC&G 4 along with the WVN 2-8-0's.

He said all the money was in place, it will just take time.

He also said that once the Cass to Durbin section of the C&O was done they would turn their attention to the Western Maryland right of way between Durbin and Elkins. State of WV is supplying the ties while the West Virginia Central or whoever is supplying the labor.

Sorry, some of that is off topic, but an exciting time indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:45 am 

[quote="southern154"]

He also said that once the Cass to Durbin section of the C&O was done they would turn their attention to the Western Maryland right of way between Durbin and Elkins. State of WV is supplying the ties while the West Virginia Central or whoever is supplying the labor.

This goes to prove if you attain golden child status, all will be provided. The original agreement which got the DGV started on the Durbin line stated "No state monies will be provided to rebuild the rail line." It was to be totally cost free to the people of West Virginia.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:23 am 

I had heard that the rebuilding of the old WM line between Durbin and Greenbrier Junction was declared dead by John Smith himself. Perhaps John has a cache of cash hidden away somewhere. The official proposal from 2012 consisted of 3 phases. They are hoping to complete Phase 1 early next year. That would give BC&G #4 somewhere to stretch its legs when it's rebuild is complete as well as the two ex-WVN 2-8-0s. WV is facing a long-term budget crisis and I find it hard to believe the state is willing to pony up the money to make phase 2 & 3 a reality. A link to the original proposal is below:
http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wvmr/ ... op.project