It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4014 Update
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:15 pm 

When I was the shop foreman for Yolo Shortline I use Sacramento Spring in West Sacramento Ca. This shop did all of our leaf spring work on our steam engine as well as leafs for our Diesels locomotives and trucks. Kevin the shop foreman is one of the most knowledgeable people that I know in the business. When I got involved with the Western Pacific museum in Portola CA, I used Sac Spring to make up six new spring packs for the WP165. Spring steel can be purchased in Sheets as well as flat bar and sheared to the desired with, and as stated earlier 10,000 pounds when it comes to steel is not that great of a quantity.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm 

rstabler wrote:
When I was the shop foreman for Yolo Shortline I use Sacramento Spring in West Sacramento Ca. This shop did all of our leaf spring work on our steam engine as well as leafs for our Diesels locomotives and trucks. Kevin the shop foreman is one of the most knowledgeable people that I know in the business. When I got involved with the Western Pacific museum in Portola CA, I used Sac Spring to make up six new spring packs for the WP165.

How recently have you used them?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

Penn Public Truck & Equipment in Altoona, PA has made springs for us as recently as 3 months ago.

http://www.pennpublicinc.com/

Jason Lamb
Everett Railroad

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:06 pm 

The springs for the 165 were about 4 years ago. The Sierra Northern railroad is still using them on an as needed basis. I apprenticed as a heavy equipment ag mechanic 30 years ago, this was the go to shop for the firm that I worked for. CSRM also used Sac Spring for there needs as well. A very reputable shop.