It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A Home For Main Line Steam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:16 pm 

6-18003 wrote:
ns2110 wrote:
I rode the trip. It was great. I couldn't understand why nobody wanted to ride it.

I can't recall the exact number, but I know that it was over $100 per person to ride behind 765. Contrast this with the $24/pp I am used to paying at Steamtown (including behind 3254 when she was operable), or the $14/pp I paid to the R&N last year to ride behind #425. Yes, the trips were shorter, but with children the clock starts the minute you board. Longer is not always better, especially with fixed windows.

If 765 took one of the shorter Steamtown trips after the viaduct run was cancelled, at a more reasonable price, you can bet I would have been a buyer. And for multiple tickets.

I have to admit, the 765 pounding up the hill with open window coaches would have been wonderful. Especially inside the Nay Aug tunnel where it temporarily lost its footing and had to give it a second shot.

The thing with the ticket price is that they had to pay for their way from Indiana. That all gets wrapped up in to the ticket price where as when one of the local engines pulls the train, they pull it right out of the roundhouse and onto the front of the train. The coach tickets were reasonable in my opinion when you take into consideration all the costs that must be met.

I agree, longer is not always better, especially when you have multiple slow orders that seemed to drag on for quite a few miles. There could have been things that made these trips better but they were out of the realm of possibility. Maybe if these trips ever happen again, some open window coaches could make their way into the train and a more spirited pace attained.

Post subject: Re: A Home For Main Line Steam
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:32 pm 

ns2110 wrote:
6-18003 wrote:
ns2110 wrote:
I rode the trip. It was great. I couldn't understand why nobody wanted to ride it.

I can't recall the exact number, but I know that it was over $100 per person to ride behind 765. Contrast this with the $24/pp I am used to paying at Steamtown (including behind 3254 when she was operable), or the $14/pp I paid to the R&N last year to ride behind #425. Yes, the trips were shorter, but with children the clock starts the minute you board. Longer is not always better, especially with fixed windows.

If 765 took one of the shorter Steamtown trips after the viaduct run was cancelled, at a more reasonable price, you can bet I would have been a buyer. And for multiple tickets.

I have to admit, the 765 pounding up the hill with open window coaches would have been wonderful. Especially inside the Nay Aug tunnel where it temporarily lost its footing and had to give it a second shot.

The thing with the ticket price is that they had to pay for their way from Indiana. That all gets wrapped up in to the ticket price where as when one of the local engines pulls the train, they pull it right out of the roundhouse and onto the front of the train. The coach tickets were reasonable in my opinion when you take into consideration all the costs that must be met.

I agree, longer is not always better, especially when you have multiple slow orders that seemed to drag on for quite a few miles. There could have been things that made these trips better but they were out of the realm of possibility. Maybe if these trips ever happen again, some open window coaches could make their way into the train and a more spirited pace attained.

You can bet your bottom dollar that if 765 came back, and three or so of the normal CNJ/Lackawanna coaches were used, those puppies would sell out FAST.

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life