It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C&O 2700 Slated for cosmetic restoration
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:10 pm 

Good news out of Dennison Ohio.
http://www.timesreporter.com/news/20170 ... eam-engine

Post subject: Re: C&O 2700 Slated for cosmetic restoration
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:07 pm 

I saw it yesterday. If only it had stayed at St. Albans where it was cared for. Glad to hear that it will finally receive some much needed love.

Kevin K.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:05 pm 

Good news for the long-suffering 2700!

What other locomotives has the winning bidder restored?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:05 pm 

I guess the public get the idea of a 1943 steam locomotive as "old". I hope the restoration goes by the book, and she isn't "tarted up" and labeled "Old Smokey", or some equally insulting.
At least she's getting serious attention.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:28 pm 

Jason Johnson is one of the people leading up the PRR T1 project. His shop is where the various completed parts for the T1 resides at.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:03 pm 

The 2700 will return to an "as-built" appearance. This is likely the most stripped locomotive in America, so we will get creative. We will be making lots of replacement parts, but some items like air compressors and dynamos won't make the cut this round. Many parts are already built and waiting to be installed. It will get new jacket on top half of boiler and sand blasted and 25 year paint applied.

The locomotive will get enclosed this week for lead paint abatement and new paint. We want to thank Kelly at Fort Wayne Historical Society for finding us the C&O paint codes.

I will try and post a few photos as the work moves on. We hope to be complete by end of October.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 am 

Rick Rowlands wrote:
Jason Johnson is one of the people leading up the PRR T1 project. His shop is where the various completed parts for the T1 resides at.

Even better.

Thanks, Rick.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:45 am 

What a blessing this project is as I'd cringe every time I'd drive past that poor hulk of a once proud machine. I'm confident that it will look 1,000% better.

I've known Jason since I helped out my friend Jerry Jacobson in 2002 when he was short of engineers and Jason and I were both running trains on the Ohio Central and can testify that Jason is a doer and I'm sure will do a great job with this assignment.

Congratulations to all who helped this happen.

Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am 

co614 wrote:
I've known Jason since I helped out my friend Jerry Jacobson in 2002 when he was short of engineers and Jason and I were both running trains on the Ohio Central and can testify that Jason is a doer and I'm sure will do a great job with this assignment.

Jason also headed up "Trainfest" in the Quad Cities. Anyone remember that?

"They love him, gentlemen, and they respect him, not only for himself, for his character, for his integrity and judgment and iron will, but they love him most of all for the enemies he has made."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:51 pm 

Yes, I attended Trainfest (2011) and had a great time there. I thought Jason did a fantastic job executing that event and told him so then.

I also commiserated with him that the event fell short on the revenue side and that required him to spend many months haggling with creditors who had to settle for less than payment in full for their invoices.

The event also serves as a strong business model for others who might be thinking of organizing a similar event. Bottom line is...... that unless there's someone willing to underwrite the loss that will surely occur from a gathering of mainline steam locomotives..... don't do it.

IIRC all those who suffered a loss were big boys who could absorb it without it changing their life styles??

Anyhow, yes, Jason did a terrific job quarterbacking Trainfest 2011 and I'm confident he'll make the 2700 look again like the proud locomotive she is.

IMHO-Ross Rowland

Last edited by co614 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 pm 

Thanks for the positive comments. I am glad to see the 2700 saga come to an end and be a small part of it.

As for Trainfestival 2011, I am the first to admit mistakes were made. I underestimated effect recession had on attendance and I chose not to purchase the $40,000 additional insurance policy to protect against not hitting our attendance estimates. I have much respect for David and worked with him (as he represented a creditor). He was fair and fought hard for his client, I would want him on my side if I ever need to go to court.

I am hoped history will judge by Trainfestival 2004, 2009 (Daylight to Mi) and WVRails in 2010. We all make mistakes and lord knows I paid heavily for TF 2011. I have no regrets about doing what others only talked about and introducing tens of thousands of new fans to steam, I just would have made a few different choices looking back. I took full responsibility.

I would prefer we don't hijack this thread with Trainfestival 2011 talk. If someone wants to start a new thread, I will gladly share my experiences, we can all learn from history.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:58 pm 

Jason , Well said and thanks for your candor. I hope the 2700 restoration goes smoothly.

thanks, Ross Rowland

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:17 pm 

Trainfest 2004 was a great event. 2700 is in good hands. I had always heard that JJ Jacobson had some of the parts for her, nothing but hearsay. And I got to meant Ross and Rich Melvin at TF '04.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm 

Just wondering; where did many of the original parts that were on C&O #2770 go ? I seem to recall many years ago seeing the headlight from that engine when it was (leased?) by the "STEAM" group.
I also remember attending a C&OHS meeting in Charleston, West Virginia years ago and going on a bus tour to see #2700 at St. Albans. As I recall it was pretty complete then.
I am excited that it will finally be restored and appreciate your efforts.

Kevin K

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm 

Kevin, a good question! Parts need to be inventoried and not removed by people who mean well, but either forget or die, or quit and assume the piece is now their property.

Am I correct in believing this is a cosmetic restoration instead of operational?