It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jerry Joe Jacobson has passed away
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:59 pm 

Both a huge loss to his family and to the preservation world.

I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Jacobson, but as someone who is intimately familiar with railway preservation, i always appreciated his vision and his determination to the cause of preservation.

He chose to spend his time and money on an amazing preservation project and made it into what we see today. He built it for now and for the future.

He has now passed the torch to all of us and, it is up to each and everyone of us, to do our part to carry on with the preservation of our collective railway heritage.

RIP Mr. Jacobson.

Len Thibeault

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 pm 

It is with great sadness and shock to learn of Jerry's passing. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to meet Jerry, but was in awe of his collection and the commitment he made to preserving the era of Steam and all that encompasses. I was so grateful when he purchased the Woodward Iron 401 from the auction at Mid-Continent. This was a locomotive that was in serious trouble, and it was no small feat to move it to Ohio. Again, so very sorry to hear of this terrible news, and I wish to express my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Steven A. Carlson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:06 am 

What can I add to what has been said before?

I never met Mr. Jacobson, indeed haven't had the chance to visit the Ohio Central since they were running out of Sugar Creek.

Mr. Jacobsen passed away at 74, and some said it was too soon. I would say, for those we love, and those who have a passion like this, even 104 is too soon.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:01 am 

Very sad new, Mr Jacobson has a great reputation for preseve steam beyond USA. Here in Canada we know who he was. I hope the Age of steam collection can stay intact and keep on more.

My condolences to his family

David Dion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 am 

As I add my condolences, let me also pass along an upcoming tribute to Jerry, the cover story for the Akron Railroad Club's eBulletin for this month, which should be out by Friday. Link to plug for article and how to subscribe to our eBulletin (you don't have to be a member) below:

https://akronrrclub.wordpress.com/2017/ ... ebulletin/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:30 am 

I knew Jerry from a very early age. He was always extremely kind to both my father and myself as well as the museum group we were associated with. I wish I hadn't lost touch with him and steam/railroading until recently. I look forward to making myself available in the future to assist AOS with any help they need. Thanks Jerry.

Attached is a photo from either spring or fall 1995 with both my sister and myself. I don't know the exact circumstance of the trip or even this location . My dad and I had a opportunity to ride in the cab of a number of his locomotives but for some reason I have always prefered 1551 to many of Jerry's other locomotives.

Attachments:
248753_10150208203524659_5221831_n.jpg
248753_10150208203524659_5221831_n.jpg [ 49.37 KiB | Viewed 3625 times ]