It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mexican earthquake - 2017, Museo Nacional del Ferrocarril,
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:06 pm 

Greetings all,

I have been watching the devastating events unfolding with our neighbors to the south. This earthquake was a major blow to the people of Mexico. My heart goes out to all those who are suffering at this difficult time.

To all those in the preservation and railfan communities with friends and loved ones living in the affected areas who have experienced a personal loss as a result of this tragedy, please accept my condolences on your loss. For those who are feeling or experiencing hardship as a result of the devastation caused by the earthquake, my sincere hope that your lives will be able to return to normal as soon as possible.

When I saw how much damage occurred, the closer one got to the epicenter of the earthquake, I couldn't help but wonder how the Museo Nacional del Ferrocarril (National Railroad Museum) in Puebla made out. Home to two of the five surviving ALCO PAs, I wondered how some of their original (station) buildings held up. Since some of the buildings were built before modern earthquake codes were put into effect, I feared that some buildings (like their station building) might have been subjected to real damage.

I was worried too for those caretakers, docents, and other volunteers who might have been on site at the time of the quake.

Obviously, the need for resources is great for many people in the affected areas. I do hope that the preservation and railfan communities might also consider setting aside a few more dollars, in addition to their humanitarian donations, for our fellow railway preservationists. The people of the region have to rebuild their homes, businesses, schools, etc. Obviously, finding money at this time to repair their railroad museum is not a priority at this time. However, for those who can afford to help here in the United States and Canada, we certainly can consider pulling resources together to help with the rebuilding effort.

For those persons on this forum with extensive contacts in Mexico, I hope we can get some reports soon regarding how much damage was done, and some estimates on what would be needed to repair the damage. I sincerely hope that the reports to come will not have to contain the worst of news. I would hate to think we lost fellow preservationists to this tragedy.

Post subject: Re: Mexican earthquake - 2017, Museo Nacional del Ferrocarri
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:12 pm 

Mr. Strohmeyer,

I might suggest looking on www.MEXLIST.com for up to date information regarding the rail museums. My gut feeling is that they have been damaged relatively little, I think the quake epicenter was to the west of the capital, while Puebla is to the east. Those stone station buildings are pretty tough, too.

The chance of injury, or loss of personal property, or residences of some of our fellow "ferrolocos" is somewhat greater. Your concern for these good folks and your suggestion that we should consider helping them is well considered and very much appreciated.

VIVA Mexico !!!

Sammy King

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:06 pm 

Quake epicenter was about 34 miles SSW of Puebla. Much closer to Puebla than Mexico City.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:42 am 

QJdriver wrote:
The chance of injury, or loss of personal property, or residences of some of our fellow "ferrolocos" is somewhat greater. Your concern for these good folks and your suggestion that we should consider helping them is well considered and very much appreciated.

VIVA Mexico !!!

Amen.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:13 am 

Hi,

Quote:
Home to two of the five surviving ALCO PAs

As I recall, there were only four surviving PAs around. All four (4) ex AT&SF, ex-Delaware & Hudson...

Where is the 5th one?

Thanks.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:54 am 

Should be six. Two A units in the US, two A units in Mexico, 1 A unit in Brazil, and 1 B unit in Canada.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:59 am 

I would think that historical preservation of railroad equipment, no matter how treasured, would be a secondary consideration for awhile. These people have just experienced some catastrophic damage to there very lives.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:57 pm 

There were two quakes, I saw the graphic for the first one, centered near to Oaxaca, while the newsguy was talking about the one most recent one centered near Jojutla, Morelos. (Watching Mexican TV gives a lot more and better info than you get from the corporate media here in USA). Damage is by far the worst in Mexico City, the taller, older buildings are most vulnerable. There have been plenty of quakes before these, the railroad equipment and older buildings have usually come through it all in pretty good shape. (Bridges are another story...)

Let me tell you a tale:

My first visit to Mexico City since they had steam engines was (in celebration of my divorce) in 1986. My Spanish was very rusty and rudimental then, and I wasn't cutting it navigating bustling Buena Vista station in search of the outbound mixed train to Oriental, Puebla. Instead I ended up on a train that looked worth riding, it had a low nose RS 11, a single cattle car (used for transport of Pulque), a smoothside second class coach, and a caboose. As we left town, I noticed many poor people cleaning up very small plots of land which contained very simple, crude crosses. These were hollowed out of the roadbed, just barely in the clear of passing trains, and they were provisioned with fresh flowers before those tending them would leave.

When the crew figured out I needed to catch the westbound counterpart of their train, that I was just a dumb Gringo who got lost, they put me off in sight of the pyramid of the Sun, on a little pile of rocks by a station sign. Soon I was picked up and welcomed into the caboose by Conductor Guillermo Cabrera, who had some coffee and tamales ready for me. As we got closer to Mexico City, I noticed that the trackside graves were all covered with dirt and buried in windblown trash, so I asked if these were victims of the gigantic quake of 1985. He replied that they were indeed, and that every single day, somebody cleaned up every single one.

Later I was informed that the Mexican Army was demanding bribes from people before releasing their relatives for burial. Even if you identified one of your loved ones, they would go in a mass grave unless you paid up. The folks buried by the track were claimed by people who could not afford a burial plot after paying off the extortionists. The quake of 1985 killed more than 10 times the number that has been reported in the recent quakes so far.

Dick and Mr J3a are right. Human suffering is by far more important than railroad equipment. I don't know of any one relief effort to suggest here, but anything any of you can do for any poor bastard in this or any of our other natural disasters currently raining down destruction is most necessary in these hard times. Those of us NOT experiencing such trauma right now should thank our lucky stars and PITCH IN.

Just saying, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:25 am 

Hi,

Quote:
Should be six. Two A units in the US, two A units in Mexico, 1 A unit in Brazil, and 1 B unit in Canada.

I think I heard about a 5' gauge PA in Brazil. I do not recall hearing about a PB in Canada.

I learn something new every day. Thanks.

Doug vV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:47 am 

QJdriver Sammy King --
AMEN!! There are no words.......